stainless muffler and mandran bends

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

stainless muffler and mandran bends

Post by pontoon outlaw » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:26 pm

:violent1: I have tried to tighten clamps over the collector and also where the muffler goes into the mandran bend I have tried band clamps and the u bolt kind, they just won't tighten up?? this stainless is very hard :banghead: is there anyone in Palm Bay area tha can weld the muffler in and the bend on the hearder collector while the headers are on the motor?? there is room in my cage... any ideas would be nice, maybe Hammant would be able to do it>>??

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: stainless muffler and mandran bends

Post by Olf Art » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:31 pm

Outlaw, there's an old trick that they used to use in aircraft that might work for you ...... just an idea. After you've tightened down the band clamps snugly on an exhaust system, drill a small hole on two sides of a connection, drilling through both the band clamp and the connecting pipes (a cobalt bit works best) and then run a short stainless sheet metal screw into those holes. It acts as a 'safety' if anything ever gets loose, and it stops a lot of the expansion and contraction that happens with heating and cooling that loosens the clamp.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Scarecrow » Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:29 pm

Why not use a couple of 5/16ths SS pop rivets, a screw could back out? :scratch: :rebel:

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:49 pm

Never have had such a set screw back out. Evidently the intrinsic pressure prevents such an occurrence.
I usually only put one per joint, maybe that somehow helps. :dontknow:

The reason I prefer the set screw method over rivets is that if something happens a few miles from help and I need to disassemble or fix something for some reason it is much easier to do.

Kind of along the same lines of 'why not just weld it all together and be done with it?'.
Just doesn't lend itself to making self-sufficient pit stops if you're miles from the nearest dock.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:44 pm

you know it figures, I try to get away from the aluminized metal cause it rusts so fast and now can't even get the stainless to work :dontknow: me thinks I'm going to get it welded and forget about it, if I can find someone that will do it??

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:08 pm

Well, a couple of tacks would do the job . . . and you do have Branch motor. :D
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

Junker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Junker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:04 pm

Have you considered the V-Band clamps welded in place, allows for easy removal.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-694300/overview/

I'm about to get rid of my flex pipe and going this route myself.

The summit brand was just an example........... I believe the Vibrant brand is better quality.
14 x 8 Hamant
383 - 2.38 Stinger
80" 3 Blade
Stainless rigged

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:27 am

yes sir I watched a video of the butt joint clamps they look like they would work and then put a screw in both pipes to make sure it didn't come apart :)

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:25 pm

Stubborn flange pipes on mufflers that wont squish hard onto the pipe with a clamp or if the pipe is slightly smaller than the muffler flange pipe can benefit from a few more extra slits to allow it to compress more easily ..... or you can add the extra slits and tap each segment down a bit with a hammer so it makes a tighter fit on the slightly smaller pipe. Use exhaust/muffler putty when assembling (the stuff that sets hard like concrete) and +1 on some keeper screws. I use the 3 screws and put a stainless radiator hose clamp around the heads of the 3 screws and tighten it so the screws cant fall out. I like also to be able to disassemble stuff without major surgery... once you have welded mufflers on, it makes it hard to replace mufflers without having to use angle grinders and sawsalls and all that messy shenannagans :roll: ... this way, you just take the band off from around the 3 screw heads, undo them, undo the clamp and rip the muffler off.... easy :thumbleft:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

pontoon outlaw
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by pontoon outlaw » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:41 pm

:cheers: dynamic muffler in palm bay took care of me, it took less than 20 minutes :banghead: and that's all I'm saying........

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Olf Art » Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:25 pm

There's an old trick a man showed me once that works pretty good if you don't have access to a mandrel bender ...... you grease the pipe to be bent with a dab of vasaline and then wrap it in a sheet of newspaper when you put it in the pipe bender. It's not near as slick a bend as the mandrel is, but it adds just enough slip to make a pretty good lookin' pipe. :)
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

Return to “Airboat Tech”