Battery

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Battery

Postby JAMES » Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Duel set up looking for light but good ? Suggestions plz
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Hog Guts
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Battery

Postby Hog Guts » Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:20 am

One optima or two either way your good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:06 am

One important thing to remember is that you don't want to have two batteries wired in series ...... it'll fry your alternator. Instead, use a Perko switch to separate them and run them as either/or. Never on both. I ran two on my last boat, but I'd start on one and run out. On the way home I'd switch to the other one so that both of them were kept fresh.
If you do a lot of night fishin or froggin you can always have a good one in reserve that way. A locking Perko is also a great way to help secure your boat. I used mine just like you would use a master switch on an airplane. JMO
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:27 am

I run the one that looks like a six pack, of course, it replaced a Walmart battery that was still flawless at 2 years old.
biggest reason I bought the sealed battery was for when I sink boat I don't want to flood the battery.

getitdone
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby getitdone » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:39 am

Hog Guts wrote:One optima or two either way your good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run dual red optima's with a perco switch and alternate them charging with no problems starting. There not the lightest batteries but dependable and last. I even switched my trucks to them and swear by them.
"Poachers Dream"
13'x7'6" Hamant Ultralight With 0540 And 72"Q

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:14 am

jopete wrote:I run the one that looks like a six pack, of course, it replaced a Walmart battery that was still flawless at 2 years old.
biggest reason I bought the sealed battery was for when I sink boat I don't want to flood the battery.

How often do you sink your boat? :lol: :rebel:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:02 am

Some rigs use a high quality single battery and the operators back it up with one of the new micro booster jump packs.

They work!

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 pm

SWAMPHUNTER45 wrote:Some rigs use a high quality single battery and the operators back it up with one of the new micro booster jump packs.

They work!

X2!!!!!!!!!! glad you mentioned that.

I forgot to mention that I also carry one of those 600 amp anti-gravity mini jump starter/ cell phone charger instead of a extra battery. just in case.

barhopper
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby barhopper » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:29 pm

Olf Art wrote:One important thing to remember is that you don't want to have two batteries wired in series ...... it'll fry your alternator. Instead, use a Perko switch to separate them and run them as either/or. Never on both. I ran two on my last boat, but I'd start on one and run out. On the way home I'd switch to the other one so that both of them were kept fresh.
If you do a lot of night fishin or froggin you can always have a good one in reserve that way. A locking Perko is also a great way to help secure your boat. I used mine just like you would use a master switch on an airplane. JMO

I'm interested in this statement. Is this an aircraft deal? No saying your wrong or bashing but I've run all my car boats over the last 25 years on both, all the time

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:37 pm

barhopper wrote:
Olf Art wrote:One important thing to remember is that you don't want to have two batteries wired in series ...... it'll fry your alternator. Instead, use a Perko switch to separate them and run them as either/or. Never on both. I ran two on my last boat, but I'd start on one and run out. On the way home I'd switch to the other one so that both of them were kept fresh.

I'm interested in this statement. Is this an aircraft deal? No saying your wrong or bashing but I've run all my car boats over the last 25 years on both, all the time

I believe the problem is not AC or CM. It is whether you hook them up parallel or in series. Running them in series doubles the voltage and will fry anything that can't handle 24 V. Running them parallel maintains 12 V and doubles the available amperage.

Hooked up correctly, you can absolutely run both batteries at the same time. But why? Unless you have something that needs that much amperage, it would make more sense to have a back up that you can switch to. But you are correct, it will work if wired parallel.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Postby swamper2 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:24 pm

Exactly right about never on both. A few years back I got out of my boat deep in the marsh in late November deer hunting when there was light ice on the water ( not enough to walk on) When leaving the boat I hit the cage lights accidentally and when returning after dark I saw a dim glow on them. Had to call a brother to come out with a battery. Could have been a cold night.
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:47 pm

I always run on both, same as my outboard boat.

Of course, they're wired parallel. Not too many 24 volt systems in use today, outside of the military...

That said; whenever the airboat stops, the Perco gets turned to "off."
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:32 am

When i run normally, i run both both so batteries will charge when i stop i shut both off. Its when i running lights like gator hunting- frogging i have it on one so i always have a bat for starting.

Return to “Airboat Tech”