Advice on building rigging for new boat

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
G@rrett1
Southern Airboat Member

Advice on building rigging for new boat

Postby G@rrett1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:22 pm

I am at a stopping point building on my boat. The thing is I don't know what to do next. I don't know what I will need in order to build certain things.
I have a older boat that has a rusted cage and rigging. I will be installing the engine and new prop and a new reduction gear. Do I wait until I have all of that before I build my new cage and engine stand?
I have the block now so can I build off of that even though I don't know my reduction and prop measurements? Also I am adding catwalks and a larger deck. Can get a close distance of the engine stand and seat stands and go ahead and fab the decks? I would really like to build the engine stand and seat stands now since I have the material but I don't want to be double working later. That way I can save up for the prop and what not. I have the older rigging that I can almost copy but I am making changes so it wont quite be the same.

Thanks for any advice

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Advice on building rigging for new boat

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Lord knows I am not the best welder but did help every day in building my boats rigging. The thing to do is get all your components sorted out before you jump in and find you are off dimension.

PLAN AND MEASURE TWICE, CUT AND WELD ONCE.

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Dirtman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:53 pm

Think Swamphunter has some great advice. Plans can change from concept to finish build. Think the best route would be to gather all major components so no double work is done. One thing to consider is that maybe a great deal come along on a gearbox or prop that is just too good to pass up, it might conflict with what is already built. JMO
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

gator7272
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby gator7272 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:22 am

Wait, Wait, Wait! I had to wait 5 months for my gearbox before I could even start my engine stand, excruciating to say the least. It's the only way to be certain you set it up correctly and as previously stated, will most likely save you a lot of double labor/wasted material.
11.5 X 7.5 Alumitech
2.0 Ecotec LTG
2.38:1 Ballistic
3 Blade Whirlwind 2.0

G@rrett1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby G@rrett1 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:49 am

Thanks. I figured that would be the best but I didn't want to hear it lol. Ill get my poly done and a few other things first.

Return to “Airboat Tech”