Light bars

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Light bars

Postby JAMES » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:24 pm

How many u guys running them ? Any pics
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

Duff0113
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Light bars

Postby Duff0113 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:38 pm

Here's what I've got on mine. 2 flood cubes and I'll be adding a 12" bar under the front of the rigging.
Attachments
IMG_0359.JPG
IMG_0358.JPG
IMG_0357.JPG

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:41 pm

just remember it unlawful to run with them on

rjfjr
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby rjfjr » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:52 pm

Why

bkmail
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bkmail » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:28 am

24" bar on roof, love it!
2 - 4" round led floods off to the side
2 - 10" light force looking forward on front of cab

Running after dark is not a problem
Bk
https://www.bkmarineservices.com
https://m.facebook.com/BKMarineServices

502 BBC on a 18' Alumitech w/4 blade master blasters, Skip built

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:51 am

1 4509 on my head is all the light I need.

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:54 am

terrible ted wrote:just remember it unlawful to run with them on

Please elaborate. I honestly never knew it was illegal to run with white lights for visual aid. Is this for navigable waters, off road, non-navigable waters? Again, not arguing just looking for clarification because I've never heard this before. I always have used a headlamp due to personal preference. Does that apply as well or is that different? It must not be enforced much because many on hear including myself have come across FWC now and then with lights while Frogging and Gator hunting without an issue. Please post statute number or regulation to help us out.

(SELF EDIT)
I am doing several online searches about this and see many opinions, people claiming law, claiming coast guard regulations, claiming common sense to have or not have. What I have not found is the factual answer from a viable source. There are so many forums discussing this question around the nation but too many variable answers to list. What I want to know is that if I were to receive a citation for this, what would be marked or noted for the law / regulation broken. There are some topics of blinding on coming vessels and I can understand that but there must be a determining fact for safely running with a light.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:10 pm

I believe it navigable water ways. You cant use any fixed lights while running. It so other can see you red-green and anchor light and tell what direction your heading. Its unlawful for me to run with my head light that are mounted to my boat. I can say i have been blinded by another air boater with an extremely bright bar light running toward the ramp as i was trying to leave the ramp.
Yes they will give you a ticket.
There was some old post on here about guys getting tickets out on the kissimmee chain and my bud got one by Lake Harney. I dont think theirs any problem when frogging.

When in doubt call the FWC i do all the time.

Fixed mounted lights will be dock lights
Last edited by terrible ted on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:22 pm

Another law that some don't know

You can not operate any PWC at night in the state of Florida even if you put lights on it. So no jet skies at night.

Personal watercraft may not be operated from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, even if navigation lights are used. Remember, both federal and state law requires the use of navigation lights from sunset to sunrise.

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:46 pm

terrible ted wrote:Another law that some don't know

You can not operate any PWC at night in the state of Florida even if you put lights on it. So no jet skies at night.

Personal watercraft may not be operated from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise, even if navigation lights are used. Remember, both federal and state law requires the use of navigation lights from sunset to sunrise.

This one, I am aware of. I have seen PWC'ers with glow stick necklaces. :shock:

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:43 pm

The fixed light has to do with dock lights I don't remember were the actual rule is.

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Waggs » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:41 pm

I was going to write about this last year after one of the big events. Yall with these big ass bright light bars think you're so great. How bout a little courtesy for the on-coming boats, at least on the big weekends... Its like tryin to drive in traffic with 10 people having their brights on. Cant see **** until after you pass. I keep my head light pointed away from an on-coming boat just for this reason. We get it... you could power the space station with the light those things put off...
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Make America Cool Again!

KCCO

jopete
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby jopete » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:59 pm

I usually keep mine off and just show my nav lights when around other boats. when they shine their lights in my eyes I turn on my led's or my headlight and try to burn their retna's out. then I throw my beer at them and cuss them. then I laugh and go about my bidness. lol

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:07 pm

jopete wrote:I usually keep mine off and just show my nav lights when around other boats. when they shine their lights in my eyes I turn on my led's or my headlight and try to burn their retna's out. then I throw my beer at them and cuss them. then I laugh and go about my bidness. lol

So, what you are saying is that you are wasting a perfectly good beer. You should be investigated for your crimes. :occasion5:

jchovernut
Southern Airboat Member

Postby jchovernut » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:25 am

We were running some non-navigable sloughs on the Mississippi last fall at the National Hovercraft Rally in Muscatine, Iowa...had a barge light us up real good with his bazillion candlepower spotlight! To me, if you're in a marked channel, or around other vessels, keep it to USCG required lighting. Below 46 on the St Johns, there really is no channel or navaids, so prudent lighting would be sensible to use...giving courtesy to oncoming vessels. Hovercraft & Airboats definitely need decent lighting, especially with all the nooks & crannies we can slide through!
SEVTEC Hovers: Prospector, Fan-Tastic, Vanguard; Weber Starcruiser SC4
http://www.hovernut.com
http://www.amphibiousmarine.com
http://www.sevteckits.com
Fan-Tastic! http://youtu.be/lwuosBSJw9Y
Great Alaska Hovercraft Adventure! http://youtu.be/tuPR8LCb7pY

Sniper
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Sniper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:46 am

here is what I run on my SAR boat, Light force builds some real good top of the line marine lights they are not cheap but they are top of the line
Attachments
magazine pics_8471.jpg
magazine pics_8506.jpg
Sniper You can run but why die tired, If you heard my shot you were not the target
DOI Airboat Instructor

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:27 pm

from the FWC

Florida law adopts the US Coast guard rules for navigation lighting on boats. Below is the language from Navigation Rule 20(b). This rule addresses lighting on a boat that is in addition to the required navigation lighting. Although I can't tell you whether bar lighting or fixed lighting will absolutely violate this navigation rule, it is possible that this type of lighting would be a violation. If the lighting is so bright, or directed in such a way as to interfere with the operator keeping a proper lookout, it would be a violation of this rule. Furthermore, if the lighting is so bright, or directed in such a way that it will "blind" or impair the vision of another boater, this it also would be a violation. Those are a couple of examples of violations of this rule.

Navigation Rule 20(b) “…no other lightsshall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lightsspecified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctivecharacter, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.”

I hope this information helps.

Sincerely,

Brian Rehwinkel

Boating and Waterways Section

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Well that is a subjective opinion based on how the lights are used. In short the lights are not illegal but lack of common sense will earn you a citation.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:11 pm

Yea is you give the officer a reason maybe bad attitude, Heres your ticket.

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:58 pm

James,
No pics but I run a "one" 36 curve body housing in the center with 6 floods on each end and "two" twelve inch consisting of 4 floods on each side off center of the cage with spots in the middle of all of them. It's a SAR boat but the R stands for Recovery.

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Thang » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:30 pm

just started installing the light bars on the Diamondback I'm putting together, mainly for gigging and bow fishing but a few facing straight forward as driving lights. The engine builder is putting two 140 amp alternators on it so even at an idle with all of them on there should be no issues running the batteries down. Total draw for all 14 light bars should be about 80 amps or so.

As with any other aspect of airboating a little common courtesy and respect goes a long way when using these type of lights.
Attachments
DB light bars.jpg

Return to “Airboat Tech”