Round or square?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
G@rrett1
Southern Airboat Member

Round or square?

Postby G@rrett1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:48 am

I am probably bringing an old subject back up but I am building my rigging for my engine and I'm worried about the hp and torque. It will be aluminum but I can't make up my mind what would be a safer choice. Round aluminum pipe or square tubing. If both choices are the same wall thickness and dimensions what would be the stronger choice? I know the rigging will only be as strong as the welds. Being the welds well break before anything but I would like to get an air boaters input. Has anyone used these?

happy harold
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Round or square?

Postby happy harold » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:31 am

one of the old timers (Truman K) who passed away about 10 years ago ran round pipe. he was left handed and built his rig with right hand steering. ran a small block ford with home made 2/1 gear box. had good luck with it. the problem is figgering out the angle of the cuts with round pipe. not that its easy either way. be sure to use a well balanced engine with good mounts. aluminum doesn't like vibrations much.

G@rrett1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby G@rrett1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 am

Thank you happy Harold!

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby pirate » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:37 pm

All things being equal round tubing is stronger as well as lighter. Happy Harold is also correct about the angle cuts being harder to figure and they need to be fish mouthed. You might also do a "Google" search on aluminum tubing vs steel tubing.
Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

G@rrett1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby G@rrett1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:27 pm

After doing some more research and talking to a few people I think I am going to go with 316 Stainless.

pirate
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby pirate » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Compromise is failure on the installment plan.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Rick McC. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:52 pm

G@rrett1 wrote:After doing some more research and talking to a few people I think I am going to go with 316 Stainless.

I think that's a sound decision. :thumbleft:
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:12 am

That is the route I took. Stainless is the only way to go, IF you are going to powder coat it or paint it you can use 304 and save a little money.

I used 304 and Saltwater fish all the time. Rigging is 5 years old and no issues other than my crappy welding skills.

Return to “Airboat Tech”