Questions about stand

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
lamarineandprop
Southern Airboat Member

Questions about stand

Postby lamarineandprop » Mon May 15, 2017 10:20 am

I picked up a direct drive car motor stand from a buddy who was giving it away it's all stainless and Fits my hull perfectly. my questions are how hard is it to convert it over to fit a reduction.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Questions about stand

Postby Deano » Mon May 15, 2017 1:18 pm

Rebuild is probably a better description that convert.
Realize that such a generic question can only get an equally generic answer.

The biggest couple of considerations to not overlook are:
First is vertically; a DD stand is often taller than is the stand for a reduction. How much will depend on what exactly you're working with.
Second is horizontally; the stand mounts may be near a foot further apart (front to back) than a DD, depending on how it was made.

You may be able to cut off the legs at the bottom and re-weld them to vertically shorten them.
You may be able to cut the rear legs off the stand and move them back before re-welding them. Additionally, the rear mounts will generally need to be narrower there were the DD mounts.

What you will need to do, will be largely contingent on how the DD stand is made and where everything needs to end up for the engine/reduction and the transom of the hull you are installing it in.

The other pertinent consideration is that all that needs to place the prop hub in the correct position to accommodate the prop (size), transom height, and the pre-existing cage, if there is one involved.

It is often easier and involves less grief to simply build a new stand of the proper dimensions.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Mon May 15, 2017 2:08 pm

It can be very easy depending on how it's built. Can you post a picture of the stand? Deano is right, sometimes it's easier to start from scratch.
Greater love hath no man, than to lay his life down for a friend.

Bitterly clinging to my guns and my religion!

I am that conservative republican your momma warned you about!

lamarineandprop
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lamarineandprop » Mon May 15, 2017 2:18 pm

The stands about 6" taller than my buddies reduction stand but there's no braces connecting the front to the rear mounts I think I could cut that off and get away with very little work the height is ok as is. My stands 42" tall to the mount bolt hole the reduction stand is 36" tall to the mount bolt hole. If it's to much work I'll get rid of that and start over thanks for your help.

lamarineandprop
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lamarineandprop » Mon May 15, 2017 2:27 pm

IMG_0425.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG

Return to “Airboat Tech”