HULL MOLD???

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
X3Outdoors
Southern Airboat Member

HULL MOLD???

Postby X3Outdoors » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Anybody have any tips for building a mold? want to build a 17 foot airboat style hull and put an outboard on the back. What is the best way to go about it without copying another boat only because I may have a family investor if there is a market for these boats. I already know that the transom will have to built up to handle the weight and push of the outboard and from what I've read from another article on here it needs some kind of ribs on the bottom to help it turn instead of sliding was thinking some 1'' ribs on each side of the bottom could correct that. Some things I would like to incorporate is fishing deck front and back livewell and baitwell and of course center console and be able to use a large outboard 125-200hp Any help is greatly appreciated.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: HULL MOLD???

Postby Deano » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:55 am

In my opinion (which may be worth no more than you paid for it). . . To believe there would be a profitable 'market' for such a setup would fall in a category well beyond, and exponentially surpassing unjustifiable optimism. The reasons for not doing what you propose are to numerous to list.

What is it that you are hoping to achieve by doing so ?
It could be done, but why ? What could you possibly gain over other alternatives ?

In any case, here is one of the better links for doing the kind of research you need to do:
http://www.thehulltruth.com/forum2.php
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

X3Outdoors
Southern Airboat Member

Postby X3Outdoors » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:00 am

saltwater flats boats that are more affordable instead of 25-30 thousand dollars. that'd be the biggest thing.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gary S » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:52 am

It's been done, look as a Carolina Skiff.

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 am

1) Why an airboat hull for a flats boat? Costs the same to make a boat that won't slide all over.

2) The market for "reasonably priced" flats boats is diminishing. I believe that to be why Carolina Skiff has continually upgraded their hulls. They didn't forget how to make a simple, low cost hull. They were getting out sold buy all the companies claiming "a better skiff".

3) in business, the idea of being the lowest price is inherently flawed. Being the best at the highest price also is risky. Niche markets can be very profitable (I.e. Every guide in the Crystal River area runs a big, old style skiff with a tower, but nobody makes them any more). Problem is, once the niche is filled, you are pigeon holed. A quality product that meets the most needs at a fair price backed with good customer service is the recepie for success.

In boats, more and more, a critical need for nearly all recreational boaters is social plumage. The fit, finish, polish, and brand matter to the average consumer. I'm not sure a slightly customized airboat hull fills this need.

Sure, you will get some redneck props by converting an old airboat hull and putting an old outboard on it. Cut a tunnel in the bottom and you just doubled your river cred. If you get your original hull and motor cheap, you may be able to sell it for more than you paid, as long as you aren't adding the cost of man hours. Cool project. Not a marketable business. Don't care what motor is on it.

Good luck, but I think a little more thought would serve you well before gettin started.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

Aeon
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Aeon » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:33 am

Go work for a boat builder for 5+ years min

The skills you seek are not self taught. Yes you can build a hobby boat but to make profit you need a combination of knowledge, skill, quality, and speed. None of that comes easy or cheap.
17x8 Circle H with a LS3 spinning a oxbox and JX to be complete very soon

rowdy1
Southern Airboat Member

Postby rowdy1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:24 pm

Hartline airboats here in Williston, FL built the very boat you are talking about over 15 years ago. They used their 18' mold, and even went to the trouble of building a very nice center console and inner liner molds. They did not modify the flat bottom on the first one and built a tunnel into the second one. Both were powered by a V4 115 HP Yamaha outboard. Both boats worked pretty well in calm water. The tunnel boat turned pretty well, but the stock, flat bottom boat would slide badly in a turn. The problem is that in anything larger than a slight chop the boat would beat you to death. They eventually gave up on the project and never sold a single boat. The tunnel boat was around town for several years but I haven't seen it lately.

Swamp Thang
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Swamp Thang » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:46 am

The market for a boat like that is just too limited to be very profitable IMO, it's tough to make a living these days building small boats of any kind unless you have something every Yuppie and their neighbor wants, have you seen how much they're paying for deck boats? and wakeboard boats that cost $100,000.00 are pretty common now.
Like Gary said it has been done, Carolina Skiff has sold more hulls than anyone in the history of boat sales but even they have had to change with the times. If not for the name on the side you could hardly tell they're a Carolina Skiff now, it's sad but most people just aren't satisfied with "Simple" anymore and the few that are won't keep the doors open in the boat business.

dblj006
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby dblj006 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:29 am

I have seen one these Vision Flats boats around Lakeport. Center console with a tunnel.

http://www.j3fiberglass.com/fiberglass-services-and-consulting/j3-kit-boat-airboat-hulls/
Broke.

Chrisco148
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Chrisco148 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:31 am

I have the hartline 18' tunnel now, very good flats boat with a 115 and a tower. But will beat you up in the tall water
:old_glory: 16' freedom craft, 472DD, 72" WW sig. series. :florida:

Return to “Airboat Tech”