New build questions

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Sparkysquid
Southern Airboat Member

New build questions

Postby Sparkysquid » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:59 pm

I'm new to the site, hoping to get some good information. I am building my first boat. Did a lot of research then drew up my plans for the hull. Unfortunately I don't have any experienced help on this. A couple of days ago some questions were asked which brought up hull stability. Any information on things to avoid would be great. Haven't started hull assembly so I can't post pictures. Length will be 16'4". Width will be 6'9" at the bottom and 7'6" at the top. The bottom will be .190" 5052 aluminum and the sides .125 5052. There will be 13 stringers to keep as much flex out of the bottom, and supports up the sides to keep them from moving. The bottom left and right edges will be bent up about 2 inches the length of the base. Will still have 6' of poly on the flat bottom running most the length. From what I have been able to find it looks good in theory but reality counts. Most of the running will be done in shallow water, 4 feet or less.
Thanks for the help

Return to “Airboat Tech”