Chevy 400

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
tonyynot
Southern Airboat Member

Chevy 400

Post by tonyynot »

Hey, I have a internal balanced 400 on a Alumitech I bought not long ago ran great a couple times then noticed a lot of vibration so replaced harmonic balancer with the same one kind of cheap $70 now it's separating like the last one. Do I need to buy racing or fluid spend more than the cheap one's or? Any idea's would help Thanks
20170808_155827.jpg

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Chevy 400

Post by 406 JAMIE »

Try a ATI SUPER DAMPER 353.00$ from summit.if u mess that up i would start looking around at other things that mite be wrong.hope this helps.
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

tonyynot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by tonyynot »

Thanks, I was looking at the ATI Super Damper just didn't know if it made that much of a difference. Would you suggest the aluminum/steel or just steel? Again Thanks for any suggestions

406 JAMIE
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 406 JAMIE »

If u have extra money go for alumn less rotating mass.hope this helps.
Melbourne Mud Mafia Down And Dirty

tonyynot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by tonyynot »

You wouldn't have a part # of the aluminum one you were talking about would ya, Anyone else ever have damper separate on them? Thanks for all the help.

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Deano »

tonyynot wrote:. . . Anyone else ever have damper separate on them? . . .
Not a real un-common occurrence in the BB Cady world, but then even the later model versions of those are now 40+ years old.
You didn't say how far from stock it is or what kind of time frame was involved, but there must be a reason the new one puked.

If need be, another alternative would be Innovators West which is who makes the preferred balancer where the Caddy is concerned.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm »

how are ALL the pulleys? (alternator, water pump, dampner, etc) anything out of alignment? any cracks or wobbles?
He'll cut your throat, baby, stick you in the back, drive off in your Cadillac.
He's more trouble than you think, he'll kill your sugar, leave you in the drink.

tonyynot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by tonyynot »

The 1st one that separated was at least 10 years old and when removed the rubber looked a little dry rotted, put in a brand new one from Speedway ran fine one trip then took it out and had bad vibration again could not throttle up, with motor just idling pulleys all looks good inline without wobble from what last owner told me it's a Balanced 400 Small Block with Edelbrock performance heads and intake Dyno'd over 450 hp with a 405 ci. displacement,I am just wondering weather a $350 damper would make a difference compared to the less expensive one's or because it's a high performance motor with a low performance damper never really had to many problems with damper's. Again Thanks for all replies

Return to “Airboat Tech”