Newbie with questions

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
71jeepster
Southern Airboat Member

Newbie with questions

Postby 71jeepster » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:06 pm

I have been reading a lot over the last few years and finally bought a boat this spring and it is a 18 ft with a stroked out BBC and I with a 4 blade whirlwind that measured 83" tip to tip and a rotator I think it is a 2.37 I cruise with normal load at 3200 and average about 30 mph I was wanting to know if I went to a throttle body injection if it would help improve my fuel burn a little bit and stop the deseialing that happens when I try to shut the motor off when it is hot
Attachments
IMG_4642.JPG

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Newbie with questions

Postby Whitebear » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:27 am

You can get a fuel shutoff valve. I have seen that recommended before and might be an easy fix for your dieseling problem.

TBI might help a small bit with your fuel burn but not likely a solution for dieseling.

Old School fixes. Stay tuned. someone else might chime in with a newer or better fix for you.

Scotty :old_glory:
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:52 pm

Ironically my engine developed a dieseling habit a few months back after we did a re-tune. Basically my issue was my idle was to rich and after a 1/2 turn on each idle circuit the problem is gone.

90chevy396
Southern Airboat Member

Newbie with questions

Postby 90chevy396 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:52 am

Get the idle mixture set right and set the idle rpm and go from there but also once that is done check to make sure your throttle plate is closing completely or it can cause this also. Which is the reason they started putting idle solenoids on carbs in cars in the 70's so when you had engine loaded and in gear it would stay at the desirable idle rpm and not die.

Sent from my iPhone using Southern Airboat
13' LASER W/455 BUICK DD SINGLE FRONT DOUBLE REAR WHIRL WIND PROPELLER

bkmail
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bkmail » Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Install a fuel pump shut off switch.
Fitech efi might be another option?!
Bk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
https://www.bkmarineservices.com
https://m.facebook.com/BKMarineServices

502 BBC on a 18' Alumitech w/4 blade master blasters, Skip built

hdsadey
Southern Airboat Member

Postby hdsadey » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:00 pm

I installed a FiTech on my Big O with a 302 Ford DD. Couldn't be happier at the moment! Well maybe I could if I wasn't waiting on Irma to pass directly over the house if the path is correct. Got the boats tied down and filled with water. Sure is howling outside right now! Still got power and the web so we're good.
02 Predator 12' 0320 Lycoming
92 Big O 12' 302 Ford DD
99 Donzi 16 Classic 350 Vortec

Return to “Airboat Tech”