Has anyone found a way to grease steering cables?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Lil Wayne
Southern Airboat Member

Has anyone found a way to grease steering cables?

Postby Lil Wayne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Id say I don't know why they don't put grease fittings on them, but I bet they just want you to replace them.

Sent from my VS995 using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk
I make it rain...

pierson skunkape
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Has anyone found a way to grease steering cables?

Postby pierson skunkape » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:21 pm

B really tough shoving those cables in places those cables need to be chased through in tight places.......now add grease fittings.....won't go........airboats are simple all exposed..... I usually change mine out every 10 years especially if they sit in the sun much.... don't wait for him to break maintenance maintenance maintenance

Lil Wayne
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lil Wayne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:12 pm

Maintenance is what I'm hoping to do, rather than just replace the cable, I'd rather grease the one I've already got.

I make it rain...

Lil Wayne
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Lil Wayne » Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Maybe your boat is different, but my cable isn't going thru too many tight places

I make it rain...

oleman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby oleman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Take a 20oz or larger water bottle drill hole in cap larger than cable smaller than cable sleeve. Slide over cable end and secure/seal with duct tape. Hang bottle end from cage,limb, ladder and hang a weight on bottom end to hold cable straight and slide bottom rubber boot down to allow air and flow. Put 2" marvelous mystery oil in bottle and let drain down cable. Working cable periodically facilitates the process. Have done this on both steering and throttle cables. Temp fix but it works for a while. Solution to problem is as previously stated and that's a new one.
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
13x7 F/G Airgator, sbc DD

oleman
Southern Airboat Member

Postby oleman » Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:19 pm

Be sure and cut bottom off bottle. Forgot that part. That's why they call me olman. Sometimes my remembery is somewhat lacking.
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. Psalm 118:24
13x7 F/G Airgator, sbc DD

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:22 am

I have bought time by flipping mine around and making it bend the other way.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:30 am

I've done the similar thing, clamp a hose over mounting threads long enough to clear stem, remove the dust boots first, elevate this end and put a funnel in end of hose, make sure you cant knock funnel out with cable stem full travel, fill funnel with atf or as above mmo, cycle cable in and out or use a drill with a good chuck, not to damage stem threads, and spin it while cycling full travel, good luck.
I never finish anyth,,,.

bob_esper
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bob_esper » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:41 am

Here's what i do:
Put a 7/8" hose over one end of the cable all the way to the bulk head fitting. Clamp it down very tight, then fill hose with thinnest oil you can find. Hook the other end of the hose up to 80-100psi of air and push the oil through the cables. It helps get it going if you work the opposite end of the cable back and forth some while under pressure. This makes a crazy noticeable difference if your cables are on their way out.
Just keep adding and pushing oil through until only clean oil comes out the other side.
2017 18.5/8 alumitech
L96 6.0 Ls
2.38 stinger with 79" 3 blade ex

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:11 pm

I can tell you first hand that it isn't worth it. The minute the cable feels like it is a little stiff go get a new one. I can tell you it's not fun when the cable breaks at about 45 mph at 9pm, by yourself and throws you out of the boat. I can tell you saving $150 isn't worth your life. I buy a new cable no more than every 2 years.
Greater love hath no man, than to lay his life down for a friend.

Bitterly clinging to my guns and my religion!

I am that conservative republican your momma warned you about!

bob_esper
Southern Airboat Member

Postby bob_esper » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:08 pm

If you lube it when it just starts to get tight its fine. Basically you're just pushing water and crud out the cable and there is no damage. If your cables are very old and have been giving you grief for a while though i agree, it's best to replace. By that point you have probably physically damaged the cable and lubing it is just a band-aid until it fails.
2017 18.5/8 alumitech
L96 6.0 Ls
2.38 stinger with 79" 3 blade ex

Return to “Airboat Tech”