Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by sanshandaobojue » Wed May 30, 2018 6:26 am

sanshandaobojue wrote:
pipedog wrote:Benjamin you have any up dates??
sorry for not update for long time.
Busy work for some offshore drilling rig due to oil price recovery.
The boat is finished and we have a trial in the river nearby. The engine can be start by electric starter or recoil. See the video, and enjoy it.
I have a bollard pull( static force) test, at maximum speed 3600rpm, it is 40kgf=390N=88lbf. For a small 10hp diesel engine, it's very succesful. Totally cost 6000USD. some friends is interesting, maybe produce another 2 or 3, some small modification on the following ones.
And next step is to product airboat 14' long with 100~200hp engine.
I don't know why the video is unclear, I am using corel video studio, maybe my laptop's 4G memory is not enough. I will buy new memory this week.
Last edited by sanshandaobojue on Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Scotty1
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 524
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:02 pm
Location: ft white fla and former Naples fla cracker for 48 years

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by Scotty1 » Wed May 30, 2018 7:09 am

:rebel: Hate to say it but it looks like a waste of 6000 usd ,it wont run dry it wont hold more then maybe two people . you could put and outboard motor on there and go faster . I JUST DONT GET IT WHATS IT GOOD FOR :rebel: :dontknow: looks very unstable

User avatar
pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Loxahatchee Fl

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by pipedog » Wed May 30, 2018 8:35 pm

Very good job Benjamin, just a thought, but I think the transom should have been a little wider. It would help it get on a plane and make it more stable. Just something to think about for your next build. :salute:
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by sanshandaobojue » Thu May 31, 2018 12:57 am

Scotty1 wrote::rebel: Hate to say it but it looks like a waste of 6000 usd ,it wont run dry it wont hold more then maybe two people . you could put and outboard motor on there and go faster . I JUST DONT GET IT WHATS IT GOOD FOR :rebel: :dontknow: looks very unstable
6000USD is really a little waste, but we get many documents and certification.
1. The material is 5083H112and 6061T5, certification by ABS.
2. The welding consumable is certification by ABS and DNVGL.
3. The WPS was approved by ABS.
4. 3 welders were qualified by ABS according to AWS D1.1
5. The formula for propeller design was tested, 10hp to 40 kgf=89lbs. This is a big supprise. I designed the wood propeller myself, and it not broken. :lol: That means if I use 100hp, hopely I can get thrust force 400kgf=890lbs.
6. Experience on stability even when turning at full speed, need improve.
7.The belt reduction, design specially, not broked, and passed endurance test.
..Hopely next one will much better.

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by sanshandaobojue » Thu May 31, 2018 2:18 am

pipedog wrote:Very good job Benjamin, just a thought, but I think the transom should have been a little wider. It would help it get on a plane and make it more stable. Just something to think about for your next build. :salute:
Yes.
I will increase the Length/Beam/ and freeboard. The idea of 10hp is to finishing or rescue. Every year many Chinaese die of flood. The government police and solders rescue people with only inflatable boat and FRP motor boat, the boat will lost maneuverability if propller hit object under water, like rope, plastic bag, tree.
http://mvpc.eastday.com/vzixun/20170813 ... 400360.mp4

User avatar
OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:04 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by OneBFC » Thu May 31, 2018 9:59 am

That means if I use 100hp, hopely I can get thrust force 400kgf=890lbs.
You will not see anything close to that kind of performance just by adding 90hp and using your same propeller.

You would do well to read up on propeller theory. In particular pay attention to disc loading.

Before you build another boat I would highly recommend consulting with an industry expert, unless you want to re-learn the mistakes of others before you.

Wish you luck with your endeavors.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by sanshandaobojue » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:03 pm

OneBFC wrote:
That means if I use 100hp, hopely I can get thrust force 400kgf=890lbs.
You will not see anything close to that kind of performance just by adding 90hp and using your same propeller.

You would do well to read up on propeller theory. In particular pay attention to disc loading.

Before you build another boat I would highly recommend consulting with an industry expert, unless you want to re-learn the mistakes of others before you.

Wish you luck with your endeavors.
Of course, I need new propeller, and new reduction box too.The propeller should suitable to the engine and reduction gear box.
When I do ship design, bulk carrier, oil tanker, ferry, every time we chose engine first, and design the propeller, every propeller is difference, and all that propeller is underwater. Here is my first time design propeller in the air, lack of experience, but the formula is same according to hydrodynamics.
I will get thrust force 400kgf=890lbs by 100hp engine, I trust the hydrodynamics and formula. 8)
And I have ever been working in a norwegian company as ship specialist more than 15 years around the world. That's reason I have chance work in Houston as offshore drilling rig surveyor.
According to the hydrodynamics and formula, the thrust force depending on engine's max power, and following I need desin propeller which can out put the engine's power and runs at suitable speed( this depending the reduction ratio).

User avatar
airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II
Posts: 695
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:14 pm
Location: Homosassa-Ft Pierce

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by airduds » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:28 pm

sanshandaobojue wrote:... but the formula is same according to hydrodynamics...
Keep in mind that air is compressible. Water, not so much.
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

User avatar
kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV
Posts: 1949
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Bartow FL

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by kwanjangnihm » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:01 pm

sanshandaobojue wrote: I will get thrust force 400kgf=890lbs by 100hp engine
Pretty sure this is CM fuzzy math at its best!! :stirpot:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by sanshandaobojue » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:27 am

kwanjangnihm wrote:
sanshandaobojue wrote: I will get thrust force 400kgf=890lbs by 100hp engine
Pretty sure this is CM fuzzy math at its best!! :stirpot:
My mini boat 10hp, 1.28 ratio get static thrust 40kgf.
And I found this manufacture for mini airboat, using Predator 22Hp, 1.9: 1 ratio with 59"propeller, approximately 160lbs=72kgf.
http://lonestarhovercraft.com/shop/pred ... propeller/

User avatar
OneBFC
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:04 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by OneBFC » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:31 am

Ignore the small bits of wisdom you are given from members of this site at your own detriment.

You will not achieve 8lbs of thrust per hp in an Airboat application once you get beyond extremely low powered designs, such as yours.

10hp, 20hp is 5 to 10% of the power you need to use an Airboat for anything other than floating in water with a light load.

Let me put a point on it, if you manage to get 8lbs per hp with a 100hp engine while using a propeller less than 84 inches in diameter, you will become a very rich person in short order.

GOOD LUCK.

You obviously have not read up on propeller theory as I suggested.

Stop swimming up stream.
-Russ
-----------------------------------
The only thing stopping you is FEAR
400+hp Ecotec, 12x7.6 DBDO, 80" 3B Maximus, 2.3 OX,85+mph, water = purely optional
Life begins at 2 BAR, Just a good ole boy

User avatar
mojoe
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 953
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:55 pm
Location: Catfish Motel

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by mojoe » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Stop using hydrodynamic theory to calculate aerodynamic thrust. Doesn’t work!

Just a recommendation: Put something made by Lycoming on the back and have some fun. Then once you have actually felt what you are trying to improve, your chances of success will increase dramatically.
Mark 7:9

User avatar
pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 2446
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:28 pm
Location: Loxahatchee Fl

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by pipedog » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:45 pm

Benjamin you see how this boat is up on a plane
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by sanshandaobojue » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:22 pm

OneBFC wrote:Ignore the small bits of wisdom you are given from members of this site at your own detriment.

You will not achieve 8lbs of thrust per hp in an Airboat application once you get beyond extremely low powered designs, such as yours.

10hp, 20hp is 5 to 10% of the power you need to use an Airboat for anything other than floating in water with a light load.

Let me put a point on it, if you manage to get 8lbs per hp with a 100hp engine while using a propeller less than 84 inches in diameter, you will become a very rich person in short order.

GOOD LUCK.

You obviously have not read up on propeller theory as I suggested.

Stop swimming up stream.
Thanks for your suggest.
I have some books on propeller theory which write in Chinese, but originally from USSR,published in 1970,80s, you know China missed the propeller period, enen now still very weak on jet engine. I talked to some professor of aircraft design, they have no experience in propeller design. I couldn't find new books about aero perpeller design. But China is very strong in ship design and propeller underwater.
Just technology discuss, how much static pull for your airboat with 400hp engine?
Is this your airboat ?
Last edited by sanshandaobojue on Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by sanshandaobojue » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:25 pm

pipedog wrote:
Benjamin you see how this boat is up on a plane
yes, the boat runs at a plane, so the resistance will be smallest. I need move seat forward to get balanced of existing boat.

sanshandaobojue
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:17 am

Re: Sanshandaobojue's airboat building 2017

Post by sanshandaobojue » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:36 pm

sanshandaobojue wrote:
sanshandaobojue wrote:
pipedog wrote:Benjamin you have any up dates??
sorry for not update for long time.
Busy work for some offshore drilling rig due to oil price recovery.
The boat is finished and we have a trial in the river nearby. The engine can be start by electric starter or recoil. See the video, and enjoy it.
I have a bollard pull( static force) test, at maximum speed 3600rpm, it is 40kgf=390N=88lbf. For a small 10hp diesel engine, it's very succesful. Totally cost 6000USD. some friends is interesting, maybe produce another 2 or 3, some small modification on the following ones.
And next step is to product airboat 14' long with 100~200hp engine.
I don't know why the video is unclear, I am using corel video studio, maybe my laptop's 4G memory is not enough. I will buy new memory this week.
The memory increase to 8G, still unclear, the dell E7240 laptop with intel i5 maybe too slow. So I get new Dell laptop with CPUi7, 8G, now it's Ok.

Post Reply

Return to “Airboat Tech”