Rigging, how far forward can I go?

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Chrisco148
Southern Airboat Member

Rigging, how far forward can I go?

Postby Chrisco148 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 am

I have a 16’ freedom craft with a 472DD and a WW SIG prop. I am currently redoing my seating to side x side rear with double in the front. Now I’m alittle to far back to use the front deck for the front pass feet by about 14”, so here’s the question. How far can I move my rigging forward in relation to the prop. Currently my prop is 10” from the transom, if I move it forward where I want it it will be 24” away from the transom... all other factors of doing this are a Benefit, I need more weight to the front anyway. What are the pros and cons in relation to the prop? As always thank you all for your experience..... Chris
:old_glory: 16' freedom craft, 472DD, 72" WW sig. series. :florida:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Rigging, how far forward can I go?

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:59 pm

I don't know that there is a limit or restriction, especially if you need to move weight forward to improve your ride quality.
Your steering will be effected most likely.

To mitigate some of this you could utilize a longer prop adapter. Most guys run a 2 inch but I have seen 6 and 8 inch adapters that would minimize some of your concern. If your running a 2 inch now and went to a 6 inch adapter your distance increase would only be an additional 10 inches. I say try it you can always move it back. Any chance moving forward you could catch some of the existing mounting holes and maybe minimize holes in the stringers?

You may see a slight thrust gain going to a 6 inch as it moves the prop further off the engine feeding the prop cleaner air. I saw a slight thrust gain with this modification.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Postby One Eyed Gator » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:38 am

It it were me I would not move it any farther forward. I would just add a platform for there feet flush with the deck, it will give you usable space. And if I need the weight farther forward I would look into moving my tank.

As SH45 said adding a longer adapter may add a little push but it will also add additional stress on your crank. Maybe go 4" or possibly 6" . I personally do not like the longer adapters. There is already enough stress on a dd crank with a prop hanging off of it.

On my dd caddy setup I was 6" from the transom and about 4" down. When I tried to move it forward it rode on the nose to much for my liking.

It does not take much weight movement to change the ride and handling.

Just my 2 cents

Chrisco148
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Chrisco148 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:22 am

That’s a good point on steering, I am planning on relocating the entire cage so my rudders will follow but I will have around 3/4 of them in the hull. Hmmmmmm

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:02 pm

Seems the foot rest is probably going to be the easiest path for you. Conduit is cheap

Waggs
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Waggs » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:17 am

:shock:
12.5' Predator, O320H2AD, 72" Whisper Tip Narrow

Liberty Mechanical Services
Performing all commercial and residential HVAC services
321-689-7709
Making America Cool Again!

KCCO

Chrisco148
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Chrisco148 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:38 am

I think y’all are right.... as usual!!! The foot rest will be a good way to go, thanks again for the knowledge!!! The look waggs gave me was the deal breaker :shock:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby SWAMPHUNTER45 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:37 pm

Use that Branch Brew oil blend or Amsoil Z-Rod and protect your thrust!

Return to “Airboat Tech”