Stainless vs Conduit rigging

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Stainless vs Conduit rigging

Postby Seven3 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:15 pm

I've searched the forums and received some info, but nothing comparing the actual weight differences between stainless and conduit riggings. So considering that the overal structure would be similar (single rear driver, double front pass, on a tall glades-style rigging for a 13' deck over) can anybody give me a rough estimate of what I would be looking at for the weight difference between the two? Somethings Ive read state that if you build the stainless out of the proper diameter tubing, it barely weighs anything more than conduit.

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Stainless vs Conduit rigging

Postby Scarecrow » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:00 pm

If they are the same gauge there should be very minimal difference in weight.

rbjscott
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby rbjscott » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:09 am

Can you get stainless as thin as conduit ?
"The price of Freedom is high! And the sound of Freedom is loud!" (Jet fighter pilot)

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Postby mojoe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:39 am

rbjscott wrote:Can you get stainless as thin as conduit ?

The question is not wether or not it is avail. The question is how much does stainless if the same STRENGTH weigh.
Airboating is like marriage: There are unlimited ways a person can be right, and somehow still be wrong at the same time!!

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:51 pm

" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for that link, I had done research but I guess I hadn't found that thread. Reason I started this is because I'm having a new 13 foot riveted hull built, and I'm having the builder go with.125 instead of .100, which by my math should only increase the weight by around 70 pounds or less. Which IMO is well worth it. Was considering stainless rigging, but to counter the additional weight of the hull I think I will just go old-school EMT. Thank you.

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:37 pm

One thing you have to take in consideration is you don't need as much material when using stainless. Stainless is much stronger than conduit so you don't need as many braces. Stainless will last pretty much for ever and conduit will not. Yes stainless cost more to buy but by the time you have conduit painted you are spending pretty much the same price (unless you are spray painting it). Also if anything ever breaks or needs to be changed it's easy with stainless and not so much with conduit. I can tell you that if you build it right with stainless verse building it right with conduit the weight won't be much different at all. Always remember conduit rots from the inside so you can't see it until it's usually to late. The biggest thing you need to figure out is how long you plan on keeping the boat to how long the rigging will last and if you will ever run in any kind of water that has salt in it.
Greater love hath no man, than to lay his life down for a friend.

Bitterly clinging to my guns and my religion!

I am that conservative republican your momma warned you about!

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:46 pm

Rbjscott yes you can get stainless in the same thicknesses as conduit and yes it would be be strong. The difference is Stainless that we use for boats are Tubing (outside diameter) and Conduit is pipe (inside diameter). The easiest way to explain it is 3/4 conduit and 7/8 Stainless are equivalent. With that being said if you were to use 3/4 Stainless it is actually smaller than 3/4 conduit but still stronger. Not to get to far off the answer he was looking for but this is what most people don't understand when it comes to aluminum rigging. Aluminum is weak and brittle so when you build a rigging out of aluminum you have to use bigger and thicker material to get the same strength out of it. When you are done the aluminum rigging will out way a stainless rigging by a lot.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:24 pm

Blackwater, you probably don't remember me but I met you recently riding with an FWC officer at the stub canal, and I'd appreciate your input. This rigging is going on a 13x7'2 Benny Webb hull built out of .125. My first airboat was a 12' Thurman that had conduit rigging. On my 12 footer, the main struts under the seat we're 3/4 conduit, everything else was 1/2 conduit (even the hoops); it was very light. When I rebuilt that boat I pulled the rigging off myself and could get in the center of it and walk it all over my yard easily, and I only weigh 180 pounds.

So if I went with a similarly built stainless set-up, single driver, double passenger, double hoop, etc (typical rigging you'd find on a Thurman) what would your estimate be on the weight increase over conduit? I am planning on going with a high compression SV 540 for power, so I'll save some weight there over an AV. And Ive made the mistake of selling my last three Thurmans/Benny Webbs, so I plan on keeping this boat a very long time.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:46 pm

If we are talking about adding 70 pounds or less of additional weight by going to stainless I would consider it. But I know how an airboat rides all comes down to set up, so I don't want to add big chunks of weight here and there, because it will all add up in the end. I was willing to sacrifice the additional weight by going .125, because that adds durability to the hull and that weight is disbursed throughout the boat.

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby Scarecrow » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:24 pm

Why not ask the manufacturer of the ss what the weight is per ft then weight a piece of conduit?

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:44 pm

I was hoping to get input from people who have either built or owned both types of rigging. Like someone posted earlier, you can use a thinner diameter when going with ss, and also less bracing because it stronger. So comparing the weights of similar sizes doesn't necessarily tell the whole story. I've talked to some who say ss is too heavy and will make a boat ride poor, then other people say if built correctly the difference is negligible. Difficult to get a consistent answer on this one.

ladyblackwater
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ladyblackwater » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:23 pm

Seven3 if you use conduit what size are you going to use? It's hard to give you an answer without knowing how you want to build your rigging. It all comes down to design on what the difference would be in weight. I should be able to get you the weights on S.S tubing with the gauge of material that is the same or close to the same as EMT.

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:22 pm

ladyblackwater wrote:Seven3 if you use conduit what size are you going to use? It's hard to give you an answer without knowing how you want to build your rigging. It all comes down to design on what the difference would be in weight. I should be able to get you the weights on S.S tubing with the gauge of material that is the same or close to the same as EMT.

If made of conduit I'd say 3/4 on both hoops, the vertical support under the driver seat, and the horizontal support that goes under both seats that starts at the cage then turns down and bolts to the front deck. 1/2 everywhere else to save weight. So basically all of the parts of the rigging that will be bolted to the deck will be 3/4, 1/2 everywhere else. I'm not sure what the appropriate size would be in ss. It's gonna be built like your typical south Florida grass boat rigging...single driver, double passenger, no consoles or other heavy parts. Your typical rigging you'd find on an old Thurman. I just don't want to spend 4K on ss rigging and regret the weight.

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Having built both conduit and stainless rigging there is not much difference in weight. Maybe 10% more weight going with stainless. I can build a stainless rigging for about the same as the cost of conduit with, labor to prep for paint, primer and paint. Prepping conduit for paint, if you want it to stick, takes time...
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby keebo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 pm

1/2" emt .042 wall is .3 lbs per ft.,
1/2" ss .065 wall is .53lbs. per ft.
3/4"emt.049 wall is .46lbs. per ft.
while 3/4"ss .065 wall is .68 lbs. per ft.
If you look at 100' of each material you have 76lbs. of emt vs. 122 lbs of stainless, a difference of 46lbs. if all things were equal. The stainless is thicker walled so will be stronger and use less of it as said above, also said above by the time you paint if done right the cost is negligible except in 5yrs. your going to rebuild the emt, SS; lasts longer and built stronger. Kinda like like the lycoming/continental thing or glass/aluminum. Matter of prefrence.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian
13x7-6 Circle H, AV540

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Seven3
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Seven3 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:13 pm

That's exactly what I was looking for, thank you. And I think 100' of material on a 13' boat would most likely be an over estimate, so the weight difference is probably even less.

Return to “Airboat Tech”