Blue vs black polymer

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Cdub6761
Southern Airboat Member

Blue vs black polymer

Post by Cdub6761 » Tue May 08, 2018 11:06 am

I’m new to polymer what kind is the bed I’m gonna buy 3/8. And where can I get blue. I called diamondback and they have the uhmw black. I am in Saint Cloud florida

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Blue vs black polymer

Post by lariat » Wed May 09, 2018 5:48 am

I got the Blue Iron poly from Horn Plactics. I bought it directly through them.

Web Foot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Web Foot » Thu May 10, 2018 10:32 am

I'm installing the blue iron ploy right now. When you call to order it do not tell them its for a airboat, they wont sell it to you if you do. Tell them its for a dump truck and if they ask why you want it for that tell them you are tired the clay sticking to your bed. That's what I told them. When they answered and I told them I wanted the blue iron the first thing out of their mouth was "Is this for an airboat". I ordered it directly from SuperSlide. superslide.com

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Thu May 10, 2018 7:22 pm

Web Foot wrote:I'm installing the blue iron ploy right now. When you call to order it do not tell them its for a airboat, they wont sell it to you if you do. Tell them its for a dump truck and if they ask why you want it for that tell them you are tired the clay sticking to your bed. That's what I told them. When they answered and I told them I wanted the blue iron the first thing out of their mouth was "Is this for an airboat". I ordered it directly from SuperSlide. superslide.com

Do you have any idea why they don't want to sell it for airboats? The only reason I can think of is maybe it won't hold up on the bottom of an airboat and if that is the case I wouldn't want it anyway.

:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

Web Foot
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Web Foot » Thu May 10, 2018 8:51 pm

They can't keep up with demand so they only want to supply to their commercial customers. It's far superior than the black stuff. It's stronger, slicker and doesn't expand and contract as bad with temperature fluctuations.

Sent from my [device_name] using Southern Airboat mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Prototype » Thu May 10, 2018 11:48 pm

Cdub6761 wrote:I’m new to polymer what kind is the bed I’m gonna buy 3/8. And where can I get blue. I called diamondback and they have the uhmw black. I am in Saint Cloud florida
Every post up is somewhat stupid knowledge or bugged them to install or something ?? Who knows!

Horn Plastics is a top notch supplier and although busy at times, a little effort can work out to a new bottom.

Poor response from horn plastics kind of dictates the busy season and they don't do blowjobs for a single 50 dollar bill!

southern safaris
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by southern safaris » Sat May 12, 2018 12:31 am

Skinny.. to somewhat answer your question and i do this with some reservation but it seems there has been a few incedents now with some of the fusion welded seams some of the poly manufacturers have used and i wont mention there names because i dont want to start a whirlwind of mudslinging but i recently went through this myself when a well know poly man started sending me uhmw sheets fusion welded ,,, i was a little skeptical but since i was assured by so many others that the seams would never fail i used them anyway as so does many builders out there,.. well i just so happend to get the 1% out of the 99% guaranteed not to fail sheets , two fellas were violently ejected from a boat with injuries when the seam popped.... from what im told , on that boat my rivets were on 5x5 square pattern and the seam was right inbetween two lines of rivets , still boggles my mind how it caught enough and pulled the poly back but yet not one rivet pulled out of the hull .... then to find out after the incendent with one of my customers it unveiled another incedent and then another incendent that happend to someone elses customers , and so then i was told why certain manufacturers stopped selling to "airboat" customers..... moral of the story if you do use ANY manufacturers poly and its fusion welded just for a precaution put a nice line of tight fasteners on the boarders of the seams for added assurance just as if it was two seperate sheets .... just my 2 cents worth maybe itll save someone else from an accident ,
Anthony Hughes
Madison FL
850-973-2642
580-228-5782 cell
Facebook.com/hughesairboats.com
Aluminum round-sided hulls

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Sat May 12, 2018 8:50 pm

Thanks southern safaris for the feedback. That's the kind of information that needs to be shared here.

Also that would explain why the manufactures would be reluctant to sell it to airboaters. If a welded seam failed in a dump truck bed it's unlikely anyone would be injured but on the bottom of a airboat it could be a huge liability.

It's unlikely I'll be replacing any poly in the near future but I will remember what you said!

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sat May 12, 2018 8:58 pm

skinnypockets wrote: Thanks southern safaris for the feedback. That's the kind of information that needs to be shared here
x 2 :thumbleft:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Sat May 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Cdub6761 wrote:I’m new to polymer what kind is the bed I’m gonna buy 3/8. And where can I get blue. I called diamondback and they have the uhmw black. I am in Saint Cloud florida
Cdub6761, Are you planning on installing the polly yourself? If you are and you haven't had any experience with it I would highly recommend you get with someone that that knows how to properly install it. Minor mistakes can cause you a lot of problems and your boat will never ride right.

:florida: :old_glory:

Cdub6761
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cdub6761 » Mon May 14, 2018 10:18 pm

skinnypockets wrote:
Cdub6761, Are you planning on installing the polly yourself? If you are and you haven't had any experience with it I would highly recommend you get with someone that that knows how to properly install it. Minor mistakes can cause you a lot of problems and your boat will never ride right.

:florida: :old_glory:
Yes I plan on installing it with a buddy. Neither of us have poly experience. Are there things that I should watch out for? Thanks for all the info by the way guys. I did call horn before putting this up and they said they wouldn’t sell to airboaters. I mean I guess I could say it’s for a dump truck or something else’s but the way I see it is. If they don’t want my business then I don’t want to give them my money.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by skinnypockets » Tue May 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Cdub6761, Sorry about the delay posting back but I was hoping someone with more experience would chime in. Installing polymer needs to be done right if you want good results. Mistakes installing it can cause all kinds of problems like the boat not riding right or even pulling loose and ejecting you and your passengers, not to mention wasted time and $$$'s.
If you're determined to install yourself here's a couple things you need to watch out for.
1. The bout bottom needs to be straight and true.
2. The polymer needs to to be installed in the sun so it is expanded when installing it. (very important)
3. Fasteners need to be properly countersunk and tight but not over tightened.
4. Polly should extend slightly past transom.
5. Lay out fastener pattern with a chalk line prior to starting drilling.
6. Be sure your holes will fall between the stringers and spaced around four to six inches apart.
7. Fasteners around the perimeter should be no more than every two inches apart.
8. Practice drilling on some scrap polly before starting on the boat.
9. When drilling and installing fasteners, start from center line and work outward.

These are just some points that comes to mind. If anyone sees something important I missed or got wrong, please post up!
Good luck with the project and let us know how it turns out.

Boatyz
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Boatyz » Tue May 22, 2018 11:20 pm

Good luck with the project. Would like to see how it turns out

Return to “Airboat Tech”