Back up fuel pump save

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Back up fuel pump save

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

Well as fate would have it out in the swamp at night with the wife last night I had a pump fail. Flipped the switch and saw a power draw but no pump noise or fuel pressure. Tried tapping on it a few times still nothing. I broke out the little micro pump I carry and went to work.

I had pre-wired it years back with alligator clips and has it set up with fittings. Put it inline and after a few tries it pulled fuel. I needed to dribble a little gas into it as a sort of prime, that was the trick to get it pulling. The little guy pushed 8psi static and fed the 542 inch engine with enough to get me home keeping to the primaries. Another reason I keep a Carberator and have not crossed over to a FI system.

As a side note this has taught me to inventory my onboard emergency kit because over the years I have helped other people or took things out and didn't replace them. Like the 6 feet of 3/8 rubber line that would have made things much simpler last night...lol

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Back up fuel pump save

Post by Deano »

Glad to hear you were able to get the little guy primed. Obviously, that would
not have been possible if you had not had the foresight to have him in the boat!
Why does this type of silly stuff always seem to happen when the SO is along for a ride? :dontknow:

Been a good while back, but I had a similar experience one time, and it took me four times longer to get that little bastard primed than it did to switch everything over to make the attempt. Being DD, it never seemed to make sense carrying around 35 gallons of fuel if I was only going to burn ten. At that point, a full tank would have helped. In any case, I went from feeling like the prepared boy scout to something less flattering before it was done.

After that deal, I added an outboard squeeze ball to my naked length of fuel line and two things happened; one I anticipated, the other I did not. First, much as I expected, since I've added that to the 'onboard parts stash' I have not had another fuel pump go bad. (Funny how that works, if you have something on hand adding weight, you never need it until the weekend after you take it out of the boat.) The second thing was that it has been used by other brothers more than I ever would have thought. Transferring fuel mostly, but a couple bad fuel pump scenarios here and there, and one time to siphon the water out of a spray tank whose pump puked at the wrong time.

The beauty of that addition is that it doesn't take much space, and more importantly, it doesn't weigh enough to be of consequence.
Figured I'd be a wise guy and just mount it on top of the tank, but quickly tired of being asked what was wrong with my fuel system, so I stowed it the bow instead. Then I found out that everybody else wanted to use it, since I wasn't. Guess they didn't want to ask before that 'cause they thought I needed it! :lol:

They have gotten quite proud of those things lately, but if it makes my fuel pump not puke at the wrong time, it's worth it to me. :)
Again, glad you were able to complete your pit stop and get home without the complications you may have had otherwise. :thumbleft:
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

I'm gonna add a squeeze primer to the kit!

Thankfully my tank was near full and with all the extra fuel that sits up top in the nitrous lines there was enough dribble left to catch a prime. I'll tell you Deano that after hooking it up twice and not getting a pull I was starting to think it was gonna be a long night!

We have discussed the topic of emergency repair kits many times on here and having that little pump and a flashlight was a save, that said adding a squeeze ball primer to the kit is solid advice.

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator »

I carry about 12' of 3/8" hose and an outboard sqeeze-ball. It is enough that I can sit in my seat, pump the bulb and drive. I had carried it for so long the buld was hard. I thought I might take it out, instead just bought another one.

A month later had a buddy out fishing lose his pump, set-up the bulb and off we went. Better than being towed or towing someone.

Can also put it on one end and started a siphon or pump fuel from boat to boat, not fast but it works.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

We did a tear down on the pump today and found one of the two large magnets to have lost its bonding to the case.

The Wizard went all through it, rebonded the magnet with JB Weld and it's back together. Will try to get it installed late week and see if it builds pressure and feeds the beast.

Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Slidin Gator »

This thread is too timely. 4.3 buggy motor running rough all Friday and Saturday morning, finally stopped running, would restart after setting for a while. Got spark, replaced all (3x) fuel filers in the circuit, no go.

Just last week I had ordered a spare back up fuel pump for the boat. It came in Thursday and I sealed it up in the seal a meal, threw it in the boat spares. Grabbed the boat spare (with hoses and primer bulb etc.) out of the boat and put it in the buggy. When it all went to hell in the woods, after swapping all filters, I swapped pumps. It ran some more and then it shut off. This time, it would not restart. Confirmed that the back up fuel pump was dead (internal short, it blew 3 fuses). Swapped back to the old pump, motor ran. Went further, shut off again, pump still works, no spark (it made spark before when we decided it was fuel).

Rather than spend the day in the woods, we dragged it 3 miles to camp, got drunk and started working on it (or the reverse, started working on it and got drunk). Went through 2 distributors, which includes cap and coil, they are one, I water proof the brass caps and coils with a half can of "Great Stuff".

Got it running late Saturday with a bad miss, about the same as I started with on Friday. Hunted all Sunday with a bad miss, but all solid otherwise. 2 other buggies blew out tires on sharp stumps. Ended up walking them out all day Sunday.

I got a sunburn, some other guy caught (or is it killed?) a 9 pointer yesterday!

I thought I had my Sh@^ together this year. :banghead:
I still think I-10 is the Mason Dixon line.
2013 Mike Stossel Boats, 13' x 7' deck over, IO-540, 74" NGQ less winglets.

Andy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Andy »

If it has Tits, Wheels or a Prop you know it's gonna give you some problems. :lol:

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Post by terrible ted »

well i had a friend who had to manually feed fuel to their motor to get home long long time ago.

apg1387
Southern Airboat Member

Post by apg1387 »

what kind of pump did you have as a backup? I need to get one, I was considering the Holly mighty mite.

SeatCover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by SeatCover »

Get extra hose and an outboard primer bulb. That's what's still in the front of my boat, lucky to never need it. I only have an electomotive electric pump, it went bad before I rode thank goodness. Trust me it takes 2 minutes to hook up a pump ball and I've seen guys play with pumps and wires for hours to no avail in the marsh at 2 in the morning. We at least had a nice fire and a pump ball waiting for em when they were done lol.
12' Cut Gilleo, Angle Valve 0-320, 72" Whisper Tip. Goes wherever I point it. :florida:

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 »

We have both in the kit now but that little pump pre-rigged with fittings and alligator clips makes quick work of a field repair and fed that big 542 inch bastard all the way back to the cabin.

I would advise everyone carry a primer bulb, extra fuel hose and spare pump.

Return to “Airboat Tech”