Breaking the Bead on Tires

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
Slidin Gator
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Breaking the Bead on Tires

Postby Slidin Gator » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:05 pm

Just got done replacing 3x worn out tires on my trailer. Figured I would show my method for breaking the bead. I have an air compressor powered, Venturi style air conditioning vacuum pump. For $30 it works great for Auto AC work, but I also use it to break the beads on my tires. It works particularly well for my buggy tractor tires. Of course it won't work if there is a hole in the tire. The vacuum won't pull the tire off the bead, but it works with the tire tools to make the job way easier. I start on one side and work the bead most of the way off, but keep the seal. Then work the other side off. If the first side falls off the bead it is easier to blow the tire back on to work on the other side.

The time spent waiting for the tire to draw down is a great time to go to the fridge for a frosty :drunken:

I grew up thinking I-10 was the Mason Dixon line.
1986 Airboat Engineering Inc., 14' Marsh Master. Refreshed narrow deck, SV O-540, 72” NGQ. A Bob Stossel original.

Rick McC.
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Breaking the Bead on Tires

Postby Rick McC. » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:13 pm

:thumbleft:
"Sights are for the unenlightened."
Rick
http://guntipsandtalk.com

Return to “Airboat Tech”