Side by Side seat stand plan

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Side by Side seat stand plan

Post by CWAIS » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:15 pm

Does anyone have a good plan for a side by side seat stand. We have never built one before and we are just not sure about widths of the foot platform and seat plate forms (center console). Any help would be great.
thanks Chuck

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: Side by Side seat stand plan

Post by Gary S » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:34 am

The size boats you are building I would stick to either single seat or inline seating.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CWAIS » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:01 am

Sorry I should’ve given more info on our next boat. The next boat will be a 13’ x 7’- 9” Ecotec build. With a Ecotec 2.0 LTG turbo, anyway that is our plan.

Gary S
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Gary S » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:28 am

Moving up in the airboat world. That is good size in my opinion. I have never wanted side by side seating because I like to frog with my boats. But I can see why people prefer to side by side. I don't have any plans but a little encouragement, all your boats have been well planned out with top notch craftsmanship. I am sure what you and you team build will be first rate.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:04 am

If your plans will include a larger hull boat with seating for passengers I would highly suggest you go to a rear steer. Being able to supervise your guests is necessary. Seeing a problem unfold in front of you is much easier to avert that the explosion behind you.

After the headphone incident we went to foam disposable plugs for guests. Order a big box of plugs packed in little bags and hand them out is cheaper than a prop.

I ban hats being worn but yet they find their way to the deck.

Here are a few things I have had happen with passengers. Keep in mind I'm not a tour operator just friends and family.

Sunglasses blow off
Head phones blow off
Can or bottle drop
Loose clothing item hat / sweater

Being aft closer to the engine also affords me a better ear to its running noises and the ability to give it a quick glance to verify all is good. Being higher up also affords better field of view and vision on trails.

CWAIS
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CWAIS » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:53 am

Thanks for your input Gary S and Swamphunters45.

Return to “Airboat Tech”