I need what i think is an unusual cook setup

All about vittles!
airduds
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

I need what i think is an unusual cook setup

Post by airduds » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Temporarily moving to a campground that won't allow an open fire pit but still want to be able to cook outside - both grill a steak over oak/hickory/other coals and something to put a pot/fry pan on.

The way I see it I need to have two sides. Side one burns good hardwood and is open enough to sit around and enjoy the fire itself (important). However, fire can't be completely open. Meaning there has to be sides like heavy wire mesh (expanded metal?) or something and a lid. Also has to have a grate and a door so I can pull coals out of the bottom.

Side two is my cooker. It can be open, but has to have a grill for steaks and has to have a door to shovel in coals (don't want to have to lift or move things out of the way).

I also want a place to set a pot or fry pan. Don't care which side.

Don't care if it's one self contained unit or two independent units. It does need to be kind of portable. It also needs to be presentable to the general populace. Not fancy, but not cement blocks and a slab of a tin roof and a piece of wood for a handle either.

I know this won't be cheap but for the right design and fabrication I don't mind paying what it's worth.

Thanks for your help.

Jerry
Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. Weak men create hard times.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Re: I need what i think is an unusual cook setup

Post by John Fenner » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Porcelain coated and or the stainless steel washing machine baskets make great fire pits, drive a post into the ground that the agitator collar slides over and there you have it, my brother and I cooked a turkey with a grate on top of the fire tub, then a second inverted over it, burned the oak perfectly and evenly, the bird was outstanding after 3 hrs. You can find dead washers everywhere, not too hard to get the baskets out, just have to knock the balance ring off of the top, I use mine in a residential neighborhood during cold weather with busted up pallets for fire wood, the kids love it!
Forgot to mention that the sides do radiate some heat for comfort, plus the small holes give off some firelight.
I never finish anyth,,,.

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by R L Williams » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:11 pm

Yep, I think most pallets are treated with chemicals for bugs, rot, maybe not a good firewood.
"GRASS SCOOTER"
Member of the over the hill gang.
United Sportsmen Airboaters Alliance.
NRA life member.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:55 am

Nah, been burnin old pallets fer years, no ill effects yet, well just the tremors but thats all. :toothy7:
I never finish anyth,,,.

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by R L Williams » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Yep, a large rim from about a 200 HP farm tractor, (about 20" high, 38" or so across), with expanded metal on top in sections works well. Removable supports for expanded metal can be changed to fit the sections, (I made mine out of 1/4" X 1" stainless to fit on the rim so it can be rotated to regulate heat), a piece of flat steel can be part of it for pancakes, steak, so forth. Cut chain links in half, weld on parts so they can be removed or changed to suit use while hot with a long handled hook.
You can build your fire on one side, then move coals with a shovel to where you need them to regulate heat on what ya are cooking, also with your shovel you can regulate fire by a small slit under edge of rim where you need it.
The rim is tall enough that small kids wont fall into it, radiates heat from sides for warming folks.
Easy to transport in a truck, then just roll it to where ya want it.

John, the tubs is a good idea, will use that.

:proud:
:florida:
"GRASS SCOOTER"
NRA life member.

cflacowboy001
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cflacowboy001 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:47 pm

something like this

R L Williams
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by R L Williams » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:49 pm

LIke this, except you would cover all the top!

:proud:
:florida:
"GRASS SCOOTER"
NRA life member.

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:34 am

burning beer boxes
Attachments
1222120028-1.jpg
1222120028-1.jpg (37.4 KiB) Viewed 950 times
I never finish anyth,,,.

air-roberts
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by air-roberts » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:59 am

what i like to use cam,ping is take a grate from something like a refige or oven rack or something of that sort i like to see 2' x4' then weld some thin rebar on all four corners then you can use you ax to hammer it into the ground over the fire pit and you can adjust the height you want
Air-RobertsImage
experimenting with old step w/t experimental 384.8 c.i. nos 2.68 rotator, 80" three bld ? R
http://www.bcraceengineering.com
Thanks to dave http://waterthunder.com/
New & Used PROPs
WhirlWind prop dealer

Return to “Redneck Cuisine”