To eat from the wild

All about vittles!
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

To eat from the wild

Postby newoldglory » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Cattail grass is a food supply if you are in distress and need sustenance for a short period of time. The bud/sprout is an easy "quick food" and fluid supply when stranded and short on supplies. 8) The seed pod that blooms in the spring can be eaten since it is seeds. (no flavor but it is sustenance). The white root runner (below ground level) is eatable but only from a healthy plant that has a runner 3/4 to 1" in diameter and then only 2 to 3" just after the tip is soft enough to eat. :roll: The tip and the rest of the runner is like eating the tong from you're boot. (at lest the boot tong will have some flavor from toe jam and sweat). :violent1: The bud/spout also provides fluid for you're body that is safe to consume because it is filtered through he roots. :D Marsh/rain water is NOT safe and will only make maters worster since it will dehydrate you because of the diarrhea from the bacteria in the water and I don't think that there is enough paper in the world to clean up that kind of mess. :shock: The rest of the plant is very useful also for other purposes. But that is another story. :thumbleft:

:proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida: :rebel:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: To eat from the wild

Postby dougeey » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:38 pm

You can also eat sawgrass and make flour out of cabbage palms. Both are not that bad the flour is a lot of work but you can't grow wheat in the glades!! Doug :stirpot:

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:27 am

I rather eat acorns, swamp cabbage, elderberries, black berries, persimmons, guavas or the white pieces at the end of palmetto plant. There is some other plants to make salads from.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:15 pm

I often tell my passengers about my life in the glades and how I can survive by eating the things that can be harvested from the "Glades". And then I confess that I don't eat that crap, I go to the grocery store like any one else. It makes them laugh and gets me a little better tip. :toothy7:

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby dougeey » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:34 pm

I have eatin with you Gerald you eat better than a king!! Doug

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:17 pm

I never have. He sounds good.
My friends say i know how to cook and i been offered positions. But what i really enjoy is camping with my girls and packing nothing but pancake mix, pole and 22s rounds for dinner. Now i look forward to doing it with my grand daughters. There is a satisfaction about eating what you harvest from the wild and passing it on to the next.

The pancake mix is for backup also makes a good flour for frying.

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Birddog247 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:34 pm

No one has mentioned spaterdock roots. Very similar to potatoes from what I here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Dont know that one and never tried it, i like the ones i mentioned. The long acorn roasted are like peanuts.

Batch
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Batch » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:44 pm

terrible ted wrote:I rather eat acorns, swamp cabbage, elderberries, black berries, persimmons, guavas or the white pieces at the end of palmetto plant. There is some other plants to make salads from.

Acorns are a lot of work, swamp cabbage is a lot of work and saw palmetto is a renewable source. Take the whole terminal bud. The berries of both are a food staple of the indians that inhabited South Florida. Eat a Saw Palmetto Berry. I did and I nearly broke my neck trying to lick my ass to get the taste out of my mouth!

Elderberries are easy to find , But, the blossoms and pollen have more use. I have found a lot of guavas in the wild. But they have all sucked. They may have a use like our sour oranges do for marinades. The whole area north of the stub canal is loaded with papaya. It will never be the same as cultivated papaya. But, the leaves will tenderize your meats. The fruit when green can be sliced and makes an awesome coleslaw.

I can post a lot of edibles. But, the flavors vary. eattheweeds.com is a great site.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:27 am

Birddog247 wrote:No one has mentioned spaterdock roots. Very similar to potatoes from what I here.

I have tried the spatterdock. It ain't any thing to brag about but if you are hungry you are not going to be bragging.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:57 pm

Batch wrote:
terrible ted wrote:I rather eat acorns, swamp cabbage, elderberries, black berries, persimmons, guavas or the white pieces at the end of palmetto plant. There is some other plants to make salads from.

Acorns are a lot of work, swamp cabbage is a lot of work and saw palmetto is a renewable source. Take the whole terminal bud. The berries of both are a food staple of the indians that inhabited South Florida. Eat a Saw Palmetto Berry. I did and I nearly broke my neck trying to lick my ass to get the taste out of my mouth!

Elderberries are easy to find , But, the blossoms and pollen have more use. I have found a lot of guavas in the wild. But they have all sucked. They may have a use like our sour oranges do for marinades. The whole area north of the stub canal is loaded with papaya. It will never be the same as cultivated papaya. But, the leaves will tenderize your meats. The fruit when green can be sliced and makes an awesome coleslaw.

I can post a lot of edibles. But, the flavors vary. eattheweeds.com is a great site.

Palmetto berries, I never tried them. There taste was described as a sponge soaked in used chewing tobacco. I eat acorns no harder than any nut shell. Guavas best into jam. Persimmons are fiber food.
I first ate swamp cabbage on a Seminole reservation as a kid that was good and still is- but its to much work.

What do you do with the Elderberries blossoms - we mostly made jam or wine from them

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby dougeey » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Gerald this is the 2th time I am making your collards useing my home made sausage so far no one has turned down a sec.plate . Thanks for the recipe . For the rest of you who has not had it you are miss out ! Doug

Birddog247
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Birddog247 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:17 pm

While waiting on some friends to arrive at the landing Sunday I noticed some wild taro supposed to be edible.

12ft Palm Beach
stock 350sbc
2.1 gear/80"NGR

"Save a tree; eat a beaver"!

gladesman
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby gladesman » Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:04 pm

Leather ferns produce what is referred to as a fiddlehead (looks like the string adjustment end of a fiddle/violin). Tastes good-kind of like soft celery, shiny black thorn berries are good if you can get to them before deer and bears do,wild red colored coffee berries are also tasty but any of the berries are a lot of trouble for unknown nutritional benefit. Of course anything is better than nothing when real hungry or starving.

snookstalker
Southern Airboat Member

Postby snookstalker » Sun Jul 20, 2014 7:55 pm

Sure would like that collard recipe to try!!! :bounce:
:florida:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:07 pm

We need the equivalent of a "Johnny Apple Seed" to plant collard patches all over Florida. Up home in E. TN, as kids we would go gather wild Creecy Greens for mom and beg her to fix them. If we had Collards growing everywhere, a smoked ham hock in the tool box would be all that is needed for a survival meal anywhere.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:22 pm

That something you defiantly need to be starving to eat. Spinach is the only green i eat. Grew up in Florida cattle and citrus country what wasn't back then. We picked turnips but feed the leafs to the cows.

Return to “Redneck Cuisine”