How do you like youre cow tongue

All about vittles!
User avatar
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: WPB & 2a everglades

How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby newoldglory » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:32 pm

EEEEEASYYYY cowboys. I'm asking about cooking, not pleasure. :roll: Occasionally, I come across a few and tend to like them. The best that I've had so fur is the one that Mr. Steve Reid did up for me recently in a slow cooker. :toothy7: Who has a good recipe? Do you strip the tong before or after cooking? :scratch: Cattle rustling is a hanging offence but road kill is still a grey area and who would care if I take the tongue anyway? The cow ain't going to be needing it any time soon. :slap:

:proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida: :rebel:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

User avatar
kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:23 pm
Location: Bartow FL

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby kwanjangnihm » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:39 pm

When I was young, my dad would buy a box of smoked tongues and slice them for sandwiches.

Now-days I eat them tacos de lengua!! :rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:55 pm
Location: Red Level, Ala.
Contact:

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby dougeey » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:44 pm

newoldglory wrote:EEEEEASYYYY cowboys. I'm asking about cooking, not pleasure. :roll: Occasionally, I come across a few and tend to like them. The best that I've had so fur is the one that Mr. Steve Reid did up for me recently in a slow cooker. :toothy7: Who has a good recipe? Do you strip the tong before or after cooking? :scratch: Cattle rustling is a hanging offence but road kill is still a grey area and who would care if I take the tongue anyway? The cow ain't going to be needing it any time soon. :slap:

:proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida: :rebel:

Boil, peel,pressure cook and then grill. Doug

User avatar
glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 3003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Miami, Fl

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby glades cat » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:03 pm

Yea, cow tongue. Cut outer layer before cooking.

Favorite recipe: Very flexible.
Heat 2-4 T Veg oil in pan with 2 T sugar. Heat until sugar melts and darkens. It will almost smoke. Don't worry. Sugar will look like a liquid in an oil liquid. It will not mix. This will make a rich sauce like Kitchen Bouquet…but home-made.
Sear meat in hot oil/sugar, add onions, garlic, bell pepper, parsley, salt/pepper & some tomato paste.
You can add aromatic herbs, oregano, thyme, sage, etc if you like them.
You can add olives or capers if you like.
You can add raisins or prunes for sweetness.
You can use beer or wine instead of water or stock.
Add any other favorite vegetables…celery, carrots, corn, peas, limas, butter beans, etc.
Stew for a couple house until tender…blub, blub.
Add potatoes. Cook 'till tender. Give it time.
Let it rest before serving w/rice, taters, pasta or any starch.
No rules…just right.

This will work with any beef recipe, ox tail, beef stew, etc.
Tweak to your liking. Good stuff.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2693
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: orlando

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby terrible ted » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:17 pm

tongue on white bread.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 11851
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Plant City, FL

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby Olf Art » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:26 am

Tongue is one of the finest muscle meats a steer has. Like Glades Cat, I cut off the skin and sear mine in a little oil/sugar mix and
coarse ground pepper, and then drop it into a cast iron dutch oven pot along with several sweet onion chunks, a half can of beef broth,
and a little everglades seasoning.

After baking for 2 hours at 350 deg. turn it once, add potatoes, carrots, or even whole kernel corn, the rest of that can of beef broth,
and bake it for about another hour. It's thick meat, so you can't rush it, but it's sure worth the wait.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

User avatar
highlife57
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:13 pm
Location: Hernando,SpringHill,The Windy City....

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby highlife57 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:35 am

YUMMYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: WPB & 2a everglades

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby newoldglory » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:18 am

Maaannnnn!!! Now I need to go find another cow. :lol: :lol: :lol:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

User avatar
glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 3003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Miami, Fl

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby glades cat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:32 am

The best food in the world is made from lesser cuts. Me, I like anything next to the bones. Brazed short ribs and ox tail are 2 of my favorite.
As far as hog is concerned, nothing goest to waste. From the nose to the toes. :lol:
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Scarecrow
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:01 pm
Location: west palm beach to sebring

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby Scarecrow » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:51 am

Personally I would never eat anything that came out of an animals mouth--------I,ll just have a fried EGG sandwich. :lol: :rebel:

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:55 pm
Location: Red Level, Ala.
Contact:

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby dougeey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:02 am

glades cat wrote:The best food in the world is made from lesser cuts. Me, I like anything next to the bones. Brazed short ribs and ox tail are 2 of my favorite.
As far as hog is concerned, nothing goest to waste. From the nose to the toes. :lol:

I kill about 6 hog every year and the only thing we don't use is the squeal. Doug

User avatar
Prototype
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 613
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby Prototype » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Gerald,

That's too funny! Even a calves tongue is like 80 grit but 4h and ffa seems to be missing from the school system totally anymore?

User avatar
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: WPB & 2a everglades

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby newoldglory » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 pm

Prototype wrote:Gerald,

That's too funny! Even a calves tongue is like 80 grit but 4h and ffa seems to be missing from the school system totally anymore?

They don't make us cowboys like they used to!
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

User avatar
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 1941
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: WPB & 2a everglades

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby newoldglory » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Personally I would never eat anything that came out of an animals mouth--------I,ll just have a fried EGG sandwich. :lol: :rebel:

Ain't that the shitzs! :lol: :lol: :lol:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2693
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: orlando

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby terrible ted » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:42 pm

dougeey wrote:
glades cat wrote:The best food in the world is made from lesser cuts. Me, I like anything next to the bones. Brazed short ribs and ox tail are 2 of my favorite.
As far as hog is concerned, nothing goest to waste. From the nose to the toes. :lol:

I kill about 6 hog every year and the only thing we don't use is the squeal. Doug



So what your scapple recipe. I have a liver a hart and some scraps.

not to derail.

User avatar
glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 3003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Miami, Fl

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby glades cat » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:55 pm

When in doubt, grind it up, stuff it in casing and make sausage. :thumbleft:
...or like the Scottish, make Haggis.
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I
Posts: 601
Joined: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:55 pm
Location: Red Level, Ala.
Contact:

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby dougeey » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:20 pm

terrible ted wrote:
dougeey wrote:
glades cat wrote:The best food in the world is made from lesser cuts. Me, I like anything next to the bones. Brazed short ribs and ox tail are 2 of my favorite.
As far as hog is concerned, nothing goest to waste. From the nose to the toes. :lol:

I kill about 6 hog every year and the only thing we don't use is the squeal. Doug



So what your scapple recipe. I have a liver a hart and some scraps.

not to derail.

And grind some cooked rice with it . And Gerald there are very few of us left and most of the best are gone. Doug

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 11851
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Plant City, FL

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby Olf Art » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:06 pm

glades cat wrote:When in doubt, grind it up, stuff it in casing and make sausage. :thumbleft:
...or like the Scottish, make Haggis.

Rick, my grandfather (who was Scottish) used to say that a man that would eat a possum would eat anything.
Short of that, most anything else was fair game! I agree. :lol:
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

User avatar
glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III
Posts: 3003
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:36 pm
Location: Miami, Fl

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby glades cat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:37 pm

He sounds like a wise man Ken.
I've also seen Survivorman...you can eat just about anything that doesn't eat you first. :lol:
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII
Posts: 11851
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:33 pm
Location: Plant City, FL

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby Olf Art » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:08 am

glades cat wrote: I've also seen Survivorman...you can eat just about anything that doesn't eat you first. :lol:

True no doubt, but some of those things might kinda snuff my appetite. Maybe that's why the Lord made potatoes and greens too.
A man can actually live pretty well with no meat protein at all if he knows what plants are edible.
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 2693
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:07 pm
Location: orlando

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Olf Art wrote:
glades cat wrote: I've also seen Survivorman...you can eat just about anything that doesn't eat you first. :lol:

True no doubt, but some of those things might kinda snuff my appetite. Maybe that's why the Lord made potatoes and greens too.
A man can actually live pretty well with no meat protein at all if he knows what plants are edible.



THAT NOT WHAT I CALL LIVING. BEEF AND BEER NOW THATS LIVING

Cherpa
Southern Airboat Member
Posts: 1106
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Re: How do you like youre cow tongue

Postby Cherpa » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Olf Art wrote:
glades cat wrote:When in doubt, grind it up, stuff it in casing and make sausage. :thumbleft:
...or like the Scottish, make Haggis.

Rick, my grandfather (who was Scottish) used to say that a man that would eat a possum would eat anything.
Short of that, most anything else was fair game! I agree. :lol:


Old Fart, you missed spelled opossum. I think it has a u couple of s's and a y in it.
We grow too soon old and too late smart.


Return to “Redneck Cuisine”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests