Is freezer burn cosidered jerky

All about vittles!
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Is freezer burn cosidered jerky

Postby newoldglory » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:20 pm

I've never been one to throw away food. It's my opennion that any one that throws away food has too much and does not deserve what they have. I wanted something different for breakfast this morning and went to the rear freezer and found some ground sirloin dated 4-14. A little pale but that is what I wanted. :roll: Some olive oil and butter and Here I go. :cheers: It was tough on the outer edge so I could not break it up like I wanted to but it smelled OK and I made me a large ham burger patty then toped it with Mexican 4 cheese. :toothy7: A little chewy but a lot of steaks are. :violent1: --- My question is; Sun dried, oven dried, freeze dried or freezer burn dried? :dontknow: It's all dried out and tastes the same and I am still alive and functioning 9 hours later after a full day of "keeping up" here at camp. :D Fortunately I still have a fair set of teeth. 8) Other wise, I have a very good blender. :blackeye: Baby food ain't bad. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida: :rebel:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

skinnypockets
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Is freezer burn cosidered jerky

Postby skinnypockets » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:54 pm

Freezer dried food may contain botulism which may be deadly but symptoms don't show up until 24 hours later. The only known prevention is alcohol, lots of alcohol!! :drunken: :drunken: Enjoy the cure! :cheers:
:rebel: :florida: :old_glory:
I'VE DONE SO MUCH WITH SO LITTLE FOR SO LONG, I CAN DO ANYTHING WITH NOTHING!

13.6 Alumitec, 350 Chevy, Rotator Gearbox and 6 Blade Warp Drive

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Must of been wrapped poorly. I pulled meat I wrapped 3 years old out of the freezer- no sign of burn.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:34 pm

terrible ted wrote:Must of been wrapped poorly. I pulled meat I wrapped 3 years old out of the freezer- no sign of burn.

Yep, store bought.
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

Batch
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Batch » Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:37 pm

Botulinum toxin is the most toxic poison known to man. It is rare. Because we use pressure canners for canning our low acid foods.

But, freezing needs to be done quickly and is supposed to be kept at 0 degrees in the freezer.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:48 am

if you can get botulism from freezer burn meat I would have been dead 50 years ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and someone needs to google up,
freezer burn meat is it safe too eat?
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:52 am

if you sheat the bed, yea the meat as probably bad! :toothy7:

if you make it to the can, the meat was still ok! :thumbleft:

:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:20 am

Out of a morbid sense of curiosity and to see if I was right, I did as Scramble suggested and . . .

The overwhelming agreement (including the FDA) is that while freezer burn effects
the taste quality and desirability of the meat, it is not a safety issue in and of itself.

Multiple sources recommend to simply cut off the freezer burnt part either before
or after cooking to avoid the funky after taste that accompanies this condition.

And Gerald, you and I are in complete agreement . . . waste not, want not. :thumbleft:
That however, is not to say that I wouldn't re-wrap meat that I was intending to freeze.

I maybe wouldn't waste it, but I'd try to prevent ending up in that position if I could.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:53 pm

Yep its the up bringing cant waist food - money. It evident in my butchering when I debone it museum quality bones. Clean enough to glue back together.

The younger crowd just doesn't get it.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:09 pm

As I understand it, freezer burn is caused by the drying effect of freezing rather than the temperature itself.
I've never tried it, but I'd bet you could put a couple of ribeye's in a freezer bag full of good water and they'd still
be tasty 5 yrs. from now. I've eaten frog legs that were water bagged and they tasted fresh caught.
That said, why not just go ahead and add some marinade to the bag too for them steaks ..... 8) .
"I know not what tomorrow may bring, but I know Who brings tomorrow."
Member: KRVSA, FAA, TAA, and life member NRA and VFW

zrackers
Southern Airboat Member

Postby zrackers » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Since it was brought up, are there people that bag their frog legs without adding water to the bag. We have always froze ours in water. I grew up in central MO. Limit is six per person per night. Sure wish I could catch as many a night as you FL boys.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Postby scrambletown » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:05 am

zrackers wrote:Since it was brought up, are there people that bag their frog legs without adding water to the bag. We have always froze ours in water. I grew up in central MO. Limit is six per person per night. Sure wish I could catch as many a night as you FL boys.

only way I would do it is vacuum-sealed.
limit 6 WOW
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby dougeey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:05 am

We are looking in to canning frog legs but the usda can't find how long to processe been told to processe like fish, chicken but not sure if you have any knowledge let me know.
Thanks, Doug

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:30 am

Well my mother use to can roosters yep, makes and old hens or rooster tender not sure how you do it. I know she (caned) cook sausage patties put the in jars covered in grease-lard. That was for the farm hands for a quick meal sausage and bread.

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:53 am

terrible ted wrote:Well my mother use to can roosters yep, makes and old hens or rooster tender not sure how you do it. I know she (caned) cook sausage patties put the in jars covered in grease-lard. That was for the farm hands for a quick meal sausage and bread.

As a kid I loved canned sausage! My granny would part-fry the patties, stack them into a canning jar, pour just a little grease into
the jar, and then when it 'snapped', turn the jar upside down so the grease flowed down to the lid, and put it in the pantry.

On a cold winter morning she'd get a jar of it out and finish fryin it up nice and brown and Oh Man!! Best you'll ever eat. :bounce:

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby dougeey » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:03 am

[quote="terrible ted"]Well my mother use to can roosters yep, makes and old hens or rooster tender not sure how you do it. I know she (caned) cook sausage patties put the in jars covered in grease-lard. That was for the farm hands or a quick meal sausage and bread.[/quote
I have canned all kind of meats just did four deer this year and it does make it tender turtle is good in a jar aswell
Doug

keebo
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby keebo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:43 pm

Olf Art wrote:As I understand it, freezer burn is caused by the drying effect of freezing rather than the temperature itself.
I've never tried it, but I'd bet you could put a couple of ribeye's in a freezer bag full of good water and they'd still
be tasty 5 yrs. from now. I've eaten frog legs that were water bagged and they tasted fresh caught.
That said, why not just go ahead and add some marinade to the bag too for them steaks ..... 8) .

Waterbagged keeps em fresh, marinade on a steak maybe. Have a buddy put a deer head in the freezer for 6yrs in a bag, pulled it out and totally freeze dried, has it hanging in wall in the shop. No smell, no thaw, completely freeze dried. Ill try to remember to get a picture of it.
Sure you can Trust our government, just ask an Indian

:old_glory: :florida: :GA:

Olf Art
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Olf Art » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:01 pm

We need to start a whole new thread on here, just canning. It's becoming a lost art, and believe me, it ain't rocket science.
Produce here in Florida will be runnin wide open in a couple more months and I'd enjoy hearing what others have learned
how to do, and what not to do.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:54 am

My sister just learned how, taught by my 89 year old mother. I have learned how to cure pork - make bacon and hams from wild hogs. I know how to render lard but have limited know how on canning.

Return to “Redneck Cuisine”