standing rib roast

All about vittles!
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

standing rib roast

Postby newoldglory » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:14 pm

I'm cooking a standing rib roast in the oven. Approx. 4 pounds (I didn't read the label) It's been in the freezer for maybe 4 years and may have defrosted a time or two. I know that beef can get better when aged. What should the internal temp be for rare? I'm at 350 degree and figure that it will take maybe 3 hours to get to the temperature that I need to reach. (160?) I will not eat it tonight so I will need to reheat it tomorrow night or the night after, or later. I won't be able to eat it tonight because I have two Del Monico steaks that Redeye gave me a few years ago that he brought back from the wagon wheel Christians up north that has defrosted again and I WILL NOT give them to the gators. Life is good and better if you have beef for dinner once in a while. I used to take frog legs over to the Dixie Camp and cook them for those folks and eat their hamburgers in trade. They think I am nuts but I thought it was a good trade. :cheers:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: standing rib roast

Postby GCRedfisher » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:20 pm

115-120 for rare, 125-130 for medium, since you're going to keep and reheat, go with rare, that way it'll keep the tenderness, you can't use too much salt when cooking those things! Enjoy
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

pipedog
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby pipedog » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Thats some funny sh!t Gerald!! And the funny part is some people on her think your just making up a story...I know it's
no B-S...Lol !!
Palm Beach open hull 13'9" with 6.0 F.I. LS - Ox Box and a 3bld "R"

hirise
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Postby hirise » Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:32 pm

i believe the cook time should be 1.5 to 2.0 hrs and if removed at a internal temp of 135 this will give you a medium rare so i think the 115 to 120 is dead on, the cooking time needs adjustment probably to 1 to 1.15 cook time
15x8 alumitech,2.5 OX BOX,4 blade R 80" ,540 BBC Pro series

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE MULE, JUST KEEP LOADING THE WAGON

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:01 pm

pipedog wrote:Thats some funny sh!t Gerald!! And the funny part is some people on her think your just making up a story...I know it's
no B-S...Lol !!

Kile---you just threw me under the bus. But then, the truth can hurt. :lol: :lol: :lol: It's----oopps, just got an emergency rescue call. Got to go.

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:47 pm

newoldglory wrote:
pipedog wrote:Thats some funny sh!t Gerald!! And the funny part is some people on her think your just making up a story...I know it's
no B-S...Lol !!

Kile---you just threw me under the bus. But then, the truth can hurt. :lol: :lol: :lol: It's----oopps, just got an emergency rescue call. Got to go.

OK, I'm back in the loop. I'll post another thread for the rescue. -- The Del Monico steaks turned out awesome. The standing rib roast was a little over done on the out side but I think the innerds will be great. I think that I need to lower the oven temp as well as the baking time. It seems that I was cooking too fast. As far as the aging---the longer I live, the better I get. (in my mind). :lol: :lol: :lol:

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GCRedfisher » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:14 am

The best way I've found is to set the meat out for 5-6 hrs so it's absolute room temp! Coat it with soft butter with some seasoning mixed in then cover it with kosher salt, a lot of salt. Preheat the oven to 500, yes, 500, put it in and cook for 5min per pound then shut off oven, DO NOT OPEN OVEN, let it sit for 2hrs then take it out, it'll be perfect every time! Enjoy :thumbleft:
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:06 am

GCRedfisher wrote:The best way I've found is to set the meat out for 5-6 hrs so it's absolute room temp! Coat it with soft butter with some seasoning mixed in then cover it with kosher salt, a lot of salt. Preheat the oven to 500, yes, 500, put it in and cook for 5min per pound then shut off oven, DO NOT OPEN OVEN, let it sit for 2hrs then take it out, it'll be perfect every time! Enjoy :thumbleft:

My wife the chef said this how it suppose to be done

She made a pork standing rib roast wrapped in bacon for Thanksgiving once it was great

Joe
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Joe » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:27 am

Cut the rib bones off and cook seperate. Take prime rib and inject 2 bottles of cajun Creole butter. Depending on size,Deep fry it in peanut oil for 4-5 minutes per pound. Best prime rib you will ever eat!!
Compromise is for those that cant get it done!!

Equal rights for Southern Whites!

Return to “Redneck Cuisine”