posible Scam in the works

Rules & terms, tips, suggestions, help, etc..
bobby833
Southern Airboat Member

posible Scam in the works

Post by bobby833 »

Just wanted to know if any one that is selling stuff on here has been contacted by a guy calling himself Jolly (Not our beloved jollyroger). The reason is, I'm selling an old chevy truck for $600.00 and this guy contacts me and says "my mode of payment will be cashiers check and my frieght company will handle the shiping" Then he ask for my full name and address so payment can be sent out. Ok so the red flags are flying, my truck will cost this guy more to ship than he pays me for it and I've given him my phone # twice and asked him to finish the transaction on the phone with me and no call. Ok so now I've supplied him with my address and personal info and I expect to get a chashiers check in the mail for about a grand and instructions to keep my $600 and westernunion the rest to his frieght company using a code word allowing anyone to pick up the money with no ID. check.

I will post an update if the check comes in the mail. I write this only to warn any of you guys and girls on here of a posible scam, I have learned alot on this site and my son and I are coming along with our first boat very well due to alot of help and advise from you all.

Some of you will know me and know I did not give this guy my personal info. but my work info. and he's more than welcome to see me there.

Take Care
Bobby Johnson
Take a kid to the river, maybe they will return the favor when we'er old and crazy

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: posible Scam in the works

Post by Ruagatr »

Thanks Bobby.

Maddog

RaisingHell
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RaisingHell »

Bobby sent you a PM
Nobody Is Perfect.... But I Am Damn Close!!!!

efiboy
Southern Airboat Member

Post by efiboy »

I had some A.H. try to pull the same stuff when I had my ride for sale on here :evil:

soulechoe
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by soulechoe »

it is a scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what happens is that the bank will cash the cashiers check for you, but eventually when it gets checked out---it is no good, then the back wants their money back. by that time, the crook has gotten away with your truck and you end up owing the bank!!!!!!!!!!!! DIRTBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bobby833
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bobby833 »

Most of the time they never take the item as soon as you send the money you never hear from them again and your left fighting with the bank. Most of the time we can never track them down and make an arrest.
Take a kid to the river, maybe they will return the favor when we'er old and crazy

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg »

It's a scam like the others are telling you. He will want you to send back to his agent $400 to cover his shipping. DO NOT SEND HIM BACK A MF DIME It's all about the $400 difference he wants you to send him back. His check will take a while to bounce, but it will. 100% guarenteed to bounce. If it is not from Nigeria, it is a copy of what those in Nigeris is doing. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Swampsaver
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Swampsaver »

Smells like a rotten fish to me. I see them in person, get a clean ceftified bank check with ID and once the money is clear then sign over the title. They get the vehicle as is, where is.

As my great Aunt said, "If the waters not clear, don't drink it".

SS

JOLLY ROGER
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by JOLLY ROGER »

I promise it ain't me Bobby ! I ain't got $600.00 !
Not A Pirate, Just a Redneck named Roger
that likes to have fun !

http://www.jollyrogeradventures.com

Bulldog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bulldog »

This is a very common scam, and is used quite frequently on craigs list as well. The prior posts outline the scam to a tee. Don't ever send any money back period.
16 foot DiamondBack, Stainless Rigging, 6 Liter Levitator, 80" 3 Blade R Series 3500 Lb Winch

rick
Site Admin

Post by rick »

Sounds like the ole "Check Overpayment Scam"...

FTC Warns Consumers about “Check Overpayment” Scams

“Check overpayment” scams target consumers selling cars or other valuable items through classified ads or online auction sites. Unsuspecting sellers get stuck with a big loss when scammers pass off bogus cashier’s checks, corporate checks, or personal checks. The Federal Trade Commission has...

Full article here: http://www.southernairboat.com/phpBB3/v ... 92&t=11696

Face to face cash is the only way to go IMO.

Thanks for posting the reminder.

Rick

bobby833
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bobby833 »

Oh, I agree this is going to be the over payment SCAM I'm just hopeing this is a copy of the original and this guy is an amateur, he might make some mistakes. I was able to get one a while back when he tried it but his trail never left Florida. We can only hope to catch some and spread the word to the good poeple out there.

Bobby Johnson

MarshLife
Southern Airboat Member

Post by MarshLife »

Yep happened to me last week,was selling a set of headders 4 200.00,man calls says i want to buy them,hets my name and address,calls me the next day to tell me he sent a check 4 $2000.00,and says just cash the check take a extra 100.00 for your troubles and send me the rest western union :lol: He was from Cali the check was from Oregon but was sent from Utah :roll: Figured out what the hell the scam was,e-mailed him back and told him i would stick that check up his arse! :shock:

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

I would have opened it without touching the check , use tweezers, then call the FBI or Sheriffs office and fire them up on it ! I bet there is fingerprints and DNA all over that check and on the glue they licked to seal it.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

bobby833
Southern Airboat Member

Post by bobby833 »

Whitebear is right, although it is hard to catch these guys report this stuff to your local lawenforcement agency. Even if they can't make a case on your particular incident they are compliling a national data base on internet and mail scams and every little bit of informations helps.

Bobby Johnson

Bulldog
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bulldog »

Bobby and Whitebear. Good points. At least by contacting the authorities you have done all you could do.
16 foot DiamondBack, Stainless Rigging, 6 Liter Levitator, 80" 3 Blade R Series 3500 Lb Winch

BenBad
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by BenBad »

Here is one for you this happened to me and I had some fun with him, It is a long read but you should get a laugh. The only place the ad was ran was in a studebaker club news letter. The bank the check was on was a Company out of Hawaii as was the bank. The sale was for $300 and the Check was for $3,000.

Read from the bottom up to get the flow.....

Rick,
I don't seems to understand this that there is no money in the account,are you sure the cashing store you take the checks for are for real?please if you are not so sure of them I will rather adivse you to open the account as you said previously and have the check cashed.Get back to me asap.

Kindest regards,
Richard

<rick > wrote:
Richard,

I have done as you asked and the person at the check cashing store called your bank and they told him and me that there was not enough money in the account to cash the check. We told them it was a certified check and they told us there was still not enough money in the account to cash the check. So as a result the check cashing store would not cash the check.

I have spent way to much time trying to get this transaction to work. If you are interested in completing this transfer the $300 to me via Western Union and send me the information to pick up the cash and we will have this done.

Thank you,
Rick

Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 6:50 AM
To: Rick
Subject: 1950s 8-foot Pickup Box Trail (payment notification)

Rick ,
I am actually out the U.k and right now I am in spain so I will like you to take the check to the cashing store and have it cashed and deduct whatever they charged out of the my funds and have the rest send via western union transfer and you are to deduct the transfer charges as wella dn whatsoever expenses it cost you and email me all the expenses you deducted.Make sure you complete the transaction sooner and get back to me asap.

Kindest regards,
Richard

<rick > wrote:
Richard,

I do not know why I did not think of this but as I was talking with my tax man last night when I had an appointment with him. He raised the question that if I open a checking account it could be seized before we get the money out. There are reasons that I do not have a checking account.

The last time I had to cash an insurance draft at one of the check cashing store they took 1/3 of the check so I will not do business with these places. I would rather take the trailer to the scrap yard than pay these people anything.

What he suggested was that you can have your financial secretary transfer the $300 via Western Union and I can mail this check back to you or include it with the bill of sale when your shipping agency picks up the trailer. I will write void on the check so no one can cash it and do to the fact the check is a company certified check and not a bank check the money is still in your companies bank account and you will not have to do anything to get your cash back.

We can get this handled very quickly this way. I am sorry that there is nothing that I can do on my end to get this error fixed. Thank you for the information that you sent me.

Thank you,
Rick

Sent: Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:25 AM
Subject: 1950s 8-foot Pickup Box Trail (payment notification)

Rick,
Thanks for the reply,Actually it was my financial secretary who actually made a big mistake on the amount of the check so I can so sorry for any incoveniency that this might have caused you,I have actually blame him on that and all what he has to say is that he is going through alot of working stress due to xmas working period which I see no reason why he has to make such a silly mistake.
Nethertheless,I will like you to open an account as you said and have the check cashed but if you think this can cuase you alot of stress and delay,you can take the check to a cashing store and have it cashed but i don't know how the charges of the cashing store is like right there,You are to deduct your $300 of the funds for the 1950s 8-foot Pickup Box Trail and have the rest of the funds send to my finacial secretary via western union money transfer so that he can make necessary arrangement with my shpping agency for the pickup in your location at the time schedule you will fix,you are to deduct the transfer charges from the funds as well.Here is my financial secretary information on where to send the remaining balance to:-

Name:-Peter Robbinson
Adress:-12 leonard robbins path,
london,
SE18 8ed

Concerning my contact information you requested,My address is as written above and the name of my company is JoJab Ventures international.we just open a new small scale branch in canada last weekend.Here is my address below and the number u requested:-

JOJOB VENTURES
12 leonard robbins path,
london,
SE18 8ed
phone no +4470240822494

I am in spain right now on a bussiness trip and I should be back to the U.K by next week.I will be looking forward to hear from you asap.

Kindest regards,
Richard

<rick>wrote:
Richard,

I have received the payment you have referenced. It was one step from being ran through the shredder. This package had no name on it that I have heard of, the wrong amount and no reference to the pickup trailer so I no reason to associate this check as being from you.

Due to the method that you have chosen to conduct this transaction I have no way to get this cashed with out opening a checking account. I could have gotten the check cashed if it was for the right amount but the place I get my checks cashed at can not handle one this size. I will not be able to get to the bank before Saturday to get an account opened up and I do not know how long it will be before they allow me to with draw any cash. What ever they tell me about being able to with draw the money is what we will have to live with. When they do I will then jump through the hoops that you have placed on this transaction.

Yes, you are correct that business is all about trust. It seems as though the trust on this deal has only been one sided. Do to the fact you feel this way I am expecting you to email me with your address and home phone number, cell phone number, and work phone number also. Also when you called me twice yesterday you had your phone restricted. Now that you have raised the trust issue I will not be answering any calls that have the phone number restricted.

Thank you
Rick

Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:15 AM
Subject: 1950s 8-foot Pickup Box Trailer (payment notification)

Rick ,
I recieved a confirmation from my client since yesterday that you have recieved the payment but i wonder why OI haven't hear from you and I believe bussiness is all about trust.Get back to me asap.

Kindest regards,
Richard

<rick > wrote:
Richard,

Here is the information you requested. I am glad to see it go to someone that will put it to good use.

When your project is done I would like a photo of it also.

Thank you,
Rick

Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 6:34 AM
Subject: 1950s 8-foot Pickup Box Trailer (shipping & payment)

Rick,
Thanks for the reply,I am located in the U.K,I am okay with the price $300 and I am satisfied with it.I will make an arrangement for the pickup in your location.
Concerning payment,I will be paying you with a cashier check,I will make an arrangement for the pickup immediately you recieve and confirm the payment.
If this is okay by you,I will like you to provide me with the name that you want the cashier check to be made out to,your full contact address,your home phone no,office phone no and your cell phone no so that I can make an arangement for the payment.I will be looking forward to hear from you asap.
Kindest regards,
Richard

<rick > wrote:
Hello Richard,

The box is really a 9 foot box.

The only real problem with the box is the tail gate is not opening. My father had the trailer for 15 years and never opened the tail gate. I have taken it off and have been spraying it with lube but it has not loosened yet. I will send you several photos of the trailer and can take any other photos you would like to see. The box is straight and tight. My father use the trailer to haul cracked or rolled corn for his cattle. It does not need to be lined to hold things in.

I would sell it for $300.

I will send the photos 3 at a time as I do not know the size you can handle in your in box.

Thank you,
Rick
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 4:52 AM
To: rick
Subject: 1950s 8-foot Pickup Box Trailer

I am located in the U.K,I am interested in buying your 1950s 8-foot Pickup Box Trailer ,,I will like to know the recent condition,see the pics and also know lowest asking price for it.
regards,
Richard
Rick Powers
Omaha NE
http://www.yourtalkingnow.com/

Hoosier-Airboater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Hoosier-Airboater »

soulechoe wrote:it is a scam!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what happens is that the bank will cash the cashiers check for you, but eventually when it gets checked out---it is no good, then the back wants their money back. by that time, the crook has gotten away with your truck and you end up owing the bank!!!!!!!!!!!! DIRTBAGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep he doesnt want anything but for you to cash the check and send hiim some money back by WU. when the check bounces you will be out the total and he got away with what ever amount you wired him. Someone here entertained these clowns and has a drawer full of those checks, if you dont send money they wont follow up and move on.
10' x 7' Gore Hull/100hp continental 0-200 aircraft engine/3 blade warp drive prop (my little airboat)

14' Combee with 500 D/D Caddie swingin' a 72x38 Fla. Air wide. (the BOSS HOG airboat)

Hoosier-Airboater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Hoosier-Airboater »

HAHA benbad looks like you took him for a good ride. GOOD JOB, I cussed one of these losers out in a email and got 100 more each day, I guess they knew my email was a good one but why would someone fall for the 1000 try when they got cussed out on the first one haha
10' x 7' Gore Hull/100hp continental 0-200 aircraft engine/3 blade warp drive prop (my little airboat)

14' Combee with 500 D/D Caddie swingin' a 72x38 Fla. Air wide. (the BOSS HOG airboat)

NFLMark60
Southern Airboat Member

Post by NFLMark60 »

Do you know how productive these clowns could be
, if they would use their mind for something other than trying to sh!t a honest person out of what they have??????????

Return to “Southern Airboat Classifieds”