Comments in the classifieds...

Rules & terms, tips, suggestions, help, etc..
Adam1
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Comments in the classifieds...

Postby Adam1 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:27 pm

true but i dont browse those just because, i have made a couple of purchases on here while not looking for anything in particular, juat laughing at stupid comments and found a good buy on something i needed! I just think it brings in more lookers, and when there are more lookers, there are more buyers!

tgallo
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby tgallo » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:33 am

Whitebear wrote:You don't get to comment in the news papers, TV or radio classifieds.

You are absolutly RIGHT! I would say that, that is not a fair comparison at all though! SA is nothing like our even close to any of them in similarity. This site is completly driven by airboaters and outdoorsman, not some pencil pushing desk jockey, and I dam sure think that we should start acting like them! Rick, I understand that SA has to be operated in a business like manner but lets not let OUR backbone go limp becuase someone is scared that they may receive a unfavorable comment! You and all the moderators do a great job running this site, I'm sure the right decision will be made. JMO
My drinking team has a fishing problem!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby Whitebear » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Ok I'm thinking out loud here but here is a thought. How about renaming comments to Questions & Inquiries. Anything that isn't a relevant question gets deleted automatically. Its easy to do a translation routing that any function that is not a "?" is translated to a cancel command. Same thing for the first word that is not Who, When, Where, What, Why and How cancels the post at the first space bar hit.

I can think of ways of eliminating negative comments simply by not making it comments.

To me its not about the crybabies or whiners its about finding a way to enforce a behavior on the forum.

Anyway Maybe I'm being too vocal on this. I think I said before I am not 100% animate against comments, just trying to think of a better way or a way that makes SA a better place.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:57 pm

I think we're pretty much stuck with the standard features that the classifieds script offers without getting into some serious php programming customizations. I liked the idea of letting the ad poster determine whether or not comments were allowed on their ad, but that's not a standard feature either. Heavily customizing a script like the classifieds would most likely turn into a nightmare since we'd have go through it all again every time we upgraded the script.

I've come up with a comments clause in the rules and will come up with a way to remove the comments privilege for those that abuse it.

Guess I'll re-activate the comments option and see what happens :).

Thanks for the feedback.

Rick

rick
Site Admin

Postby rick » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:42 pm

...also took your advice on calling it "Questions and Inquires" instead of "Comments" Scotty...thanks

Rick

Return to “Southern Airboat Classifieds”