Wade, Paddle Pole... Meeting Jan. 7th and 8th

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Wade, Paddle Pole... Meeting Jan. 8th and 9th

Post by 80 panther »

I don't see a Commercial fisherman listed to speak!! This is a vital area for commercial fishing. I guess they like eating imported fish over fresh fish when they go out to eat seafood! I know that a lot of people do not like commercial fishermen but its an honest job that has fed my family for years.Even with the limits as low as they are!!!! :banghead:

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

commercial fishermen just do a job within the limits set by the state and feds depending. If anyone has an issue it should not be wiht the commercial fishermen but the folks that set their regs.

CaptSteve
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CaptSteve »

Just joined SouthernAirboat. Sorry I have taken so long to come aboard but this issue with the wade paddle and pole people needs to be taken seriously by not only airboaters but any user group that wants to use the marsh. Lets not forget the disabled and handicapped and some of us who are just not physically fit to wade padde or pole to and from the marsh. They(wpp'ers) would suggest battery power to take us in and out...maybe in but we wont get out.
I along with many of my friends and fellow guides have been profiled on their (wpp'ers) survey for the up coming open, public, closed meeting.
WE have not been invited but will be standing in front of the building along with the news media letting them know that we are not being fairly represented. Some of their spokesmen have suggested that "We need to be educated on the issue" I say how can we get educated if they will not let us into the "class"? I have written my letter to the TPWD Commissioners each and everyone with no response from any of them.

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

I know ya'll read of our troubles in florida on here ... so hopefully ya'll know how serious this is ... and there are probably a lot of texas airboaters who don't get on SA .. so you need to figure out how to contact them and get them involved. The environmentalist will kick your butt if you take your eye off them for a second so don't blink on this one .. and good luck
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Even if they won't let us in, IF media was there..... it would be a good show, for every last one of us that can, to show up.... and be able to say we asked to be included, but they won't include us. Its the truth. It can smack em. Even if the whole thing is an hour of time and a round trip drive for that hour, it may well be worht it.

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus »

Welcome to SA & the TX forum CaptSteve... that is exactly what we all need to do. :thumbleft:
:texas:

FishinCoop101
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FishinCoop101 »

We need to make all the Anglers aware of there actions. They have already deleted the add on Corpus Chrisit Craigslist to inform people about this issue. We need to keep this issue Revolving in the Angler Community as well.

Hogheaven
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hogheaven »

CAPT. Steve... Good guy. He, and Slayride several others aswell, do alot with kidoes and hunting, Junior Boatmen, etc. Great group.
Floral City Deckover 16x8
Stinger
3 Blade WaterWalker

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus »

Good deal Hogheaven sounds like our kind of people. :wink:

Hogheaven
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Hogheaven »

Take Note. For everybody and anybody that doesnt think this is real... key in on 1:57-3:04 on below Video. at 5:48 there's a reiteration of conflict. Fact is the word conflicts is used several times.

This is real- When he says, Workshops, Scoping meetings, Surveys... This is how it works. Robin Riechers may be the nicest of guys, I do not know a thing about him. But this is how things move forward. This is to show that this is a Topic on the table at TPWD. This is not just about a small group. Note, that he is on the guest list to speak at the Jan. 8th WORKSHOP. Next move is scoping meetings/ surveys...

If you have not started to write P. Holt, the TPWD Commissioners yet, IDK. TPWD works for all person in Texas. TPWD is now a part of a WORKSHOP where the audience will be selected
( due to room size I guess ). I am assured that it will be an impartial and non biased selection.
Course then again, with the apathy out there very few people will show.

TPWD Coastal Fisheries Division Director Robin Riechers, recorded Sept. 15, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50zfip1IjIM
Floral City Deckover 16x8
Stinger
3 Blade WaterWalker

CaptSteve
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CaptSteve »

Hogheaven thanks for the kind words. Hope you are doing good we miss you on the landing.
This weekend a group I help out with "Hunts for Heros" which takes disabled war vets out duck hunting is taking place. Our local TPWD enforcement officer is cooking them breakfeast as well. Should be a great time but I hope and pray it will not be our last opportunity to take a disabled veteran out in the marsh. I also belong to a local guide/community type association that has many fishing guides as members here in Port A and I am embarrassed that they have not taken a stance on this issue in the lakes and flats. For evil to grow and flourish all it takes is one good man to remain silent.

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus »

Hogheaven wrote:Take Note. For everybody and anybody that doesnt think this is real... key in on 1:57-3:04 on below Video. at 5:48 there's a reiteration of conflict. Fact is the word conflicts is used several times.

This is real- When he says, Workshops, Scoping meetings, Surveys... This is how it works. Robin Riechers may be the nicest of guys, I do not know a thing about him. But this is how things move forward. This is to show that this is a Topic on the table at TPWD. This is not just about a small group. Note, that he is on the guest list to speak at the Jan. 8th WORKSHOP. Next move is scoping meetings/ surveys...

If you have not started to write P. Holt, the TPWD Commissioners yet, IDK. TPWD works for all person in Texas. TPWD is now a part of a WORKSHOP where the audience will be selected
( due to room size I guess ). I am assured that it will be an impartial and non biased selection.
Course then again, with the apathy out there very few people will show.

TPWD Coastal Fisheries Division Director Robin Riechers, recorded Sept. 15, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50zfip1IjIM

Thanks Hogheaven... here's the link you posted. :wink:

And to CaptSteve "GARRYOWEN" :usa:

tall651
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Re: Wade, Paddle Pole... Meeting Jan. 7th and 8th

Post by tall651 »

Got to this a little late but got the survey done and all that.

Found the article interesting. From where we sit on the Brazos and with whom we have run the river with I see none who go out of their way to do damage at any time to the river or it's ecological base.

I hate having to SLOWwwwww wayyyyyyy downnnnn for all the tubers and canoers we have here but it is proper manners and only decent common curtesy. I haven't seen all that many step aside or should I say paddle to the side to get out of my way.
We direct the boat to the opposite side, slow way down and acknowledge the tubers and canoers and share the river with them. I expect others to do the same for them and to us as well.

However, I believe the WPP needs to read the Coast Guard's rule's of passage and then be quite. As the motorized boat with the least ability to stop compared to them we airboaters have the right of way in the water. Same goes for the canoers and tubers who can generally just put their feet down and touch the bottom of the river and stop their forward momentum. Hmmmmmm.

Wow, what an article and interestingly unfair meeting. Hope you coastal folks are paying attention!

YOU CAN LOOSE YOUR RIGHT TO THIS AREA IF YOU DON'T STEP UP !!!

MrsTall651
18x8 Air Ranger 496 Levitator propelled by WhirlWind MasterBlaster sporting the new Rock Guard Bottom [1/2" UHMW Super-Slide Red Hot Poly W/Stainless Steel Stripping] aka Rock Crawler
10x6 Mini PE60 Continental Direct Drive aka Brazos River Scout

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

If we loose rights here, you'll be next, you can count on that. If we had a big showing on the day.. numbers wise, it would sure help out I think.....

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by MarshRider »

Welcome all those new to SA and to this issue.
Country and others are correct. This is the toe in the door.

IF you reprsent a group listed but without a spokesperson I would go on line and take their survey because it is an interest survey and it is a REQUEST TO PARTICIPATE. That's how airboaters finally got a seat at the table.

The survey has very specific questions wihch also are in the outline of the presentation that each user group is to make at the meeting.

I think two of the most important questions/issues raised are :
user conflicts -- have you seen any, what do they do to you and your type of fishing
safey concerns -- do you have safety concerns because other types of vessels use the same waterways.

These elite fishermen need to know that 1. you have not seen user conflicts except as it relates to them being discourteous to others, etc. 2. you do not and have not seen any reason to fear for your safety. IF these two statements are true, then you need to tell them that.

This is to be the FIRST of many meetings -- that does not mean miss it.....we need you at the table as soon as possible.
LESSON LEARNED IN FLORIDA: ALL waterway users want the same thing: access. This is not the time to separate or allow the other side to separate any one type of motorized vessel user from any other type.

Yes, the issue of handicapped users is valid -- but it is not a separate issue it is part of the issue of each and every motorized vessel user group. There are handicapped boaters, airboaters, guides, etc.... so we can't make this about handicapped users only. In Fla the answer to that would be an exceptioin for handicapped users ONLY -- then we would have gotten no where and they would be able to claim the "helped" motorized vessel users with their biggest issue.

I am handicapped myself. But I also have 30 years experience in the "working with government to protect boaters rights" arena and now is not the time to separate any motorized vessel user because of the type of vessel they use -- kicker boats are o.k. -- jet skiis are not......or becaue of any handicap they have or age they may have attained....

bondo
FAA Corporate Member
TexasAirboatAssociation 099
NebraskaAirboatAssociation Life Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!
http://www.marshridermagazine.com

Slayride
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Slayride »

Bonnie,

Thanks for your guidance on this issue, we will all need you very much in the future as well. These "nutheads" serve thier own purpose and no other. They waste good air that the rest of the world finds to be precious to life. But I like so many others know full well they will stop at nothing to steal the rights of others if they turn away for a moment. Self righteous, selfish, pampas nutheads. We really need to get as many people involved nationally in showing up at the Texas Parks and Wildlife annual meeting in Austin Texas to participate in the 3 minute public comment section of the meeting. This usually happens near the last week of August each year. While this may seem like a long time down the road, it will be here very soon. Five of the nutheads went before the commisioners last August, and while they were generally thought of as "out of thier minds" with the commisioners, there is no doubt they will be back. In fact, the WPP nutheads plan to submit a report as to the results of the Jan. 7-8 meeting they have so one sidedly planned. I believe in persistance, and I personally will not relent to the nutheads using my good oxygen for such a worthless, selfish cause. :violent1:

Again, thanks for all you do.

Slayride
There is nothing Mystical, Majical or Elusive about quality, we all know what it is!

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by MarshRider »

I"ll be there in August - if we have not stopped this before then., if we have, i'll still be there to underscore how wrong it would have been to come to the concvlusion
they seem headed toward. Will have stats for growth areas in Fl -- the fishing capital of the world -- can't recall we have ever done this in Fl and we are growing faster, I believe, than Texas.

I"ll see if P.C. is up for a road trip....enough m&Ms and she'll follow you anywhere!

I'll post this in the Marsh Rider calendar from now on and do another story on the issue. There is a short article on it in the issue that is being mailed this week.
we need to post on main forum of S.A. and get it on the s.a. calendar of events -- August will be here before we know it!

Fl gator season opens Aug. 14 but other than that, can't think of anything down here that would get in the way.
Maybe we could get clubs to make video presentations at a club meeting and PC and i carry them out to the meeting? we have about 27 clubs in Fl -- that would be impressive.

I'm with you guys "walkin or ridin'" as the saying goes.
thanks for the heads up
bonnie
FAA Corporate Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Ok, wahts in August?

I'll have only a few days next week to brush up for the 7/8th..... I'll need all the help I can get. They refused a handicap airboater time as of today....

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 80 panther »

Are we still showing up in force to this meeting or just the invited members????????????? Big group with the news media will get there attention jmo.

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by MarshRider »

IF you want to do a PEACEFUL dermonstration outside the event -- here is what I would put on signs:

EQUAL ACCESS TO OUR WATERWAYS FOR ALL BOATERS

ALL BOATERS OBSERVE CODE OF ETHICS

DO NOT -- under any circumstances -- try to segregate out airboaters -- this is about access for all motorized vessel owners. Do not make this about special access for handicapped boaters...I can hear the howls, but I know what I'm talking about. I am handicapped. I lobby, at no cost, for rights and fair treatment of handicapped citizens in the state capitol. But i'm telling you....this is not the time to call attention to any one class of people. It will backfire

BUT right now we need all motorized vessel owners to be treated the same. IF we separate out handicapped, or guides, or small kicker boats or whatever other special class you can come up with -- 30 years of experience tells me that they will find a way to give a tiny exemption and declare victory and all the rest of us will be left in the cold.

We are all motorized vessel owners. we have different boats, we have different uses of our boats, we have different capabilities in terms of how we use our boats...
but we are ONE CLASS: MOTORIZED VESSEL USERS.....

They are non-motorized vessel users -- they want to create a unique class of vessel owners and give them special privileges....we must stand together and say NO

We have an airboater's code of ethics -- it works well for all types of boaters -- if boaters adhered to the code of ethics -- there would not be a need for a meeting like this. This is Florida Airboat Association Code of ethics which has been adopted by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

1. I will respect the rights of all users of the recreational waterways of the state of Texas, on public waters and on adjacent private property
2. I will be considerate and courteous at public vessel launch ramps and docks. In an effort not to delay others, I will launch and retrieve my vessel promptly.
3. I will always operate at a safe speed in posted "no wake" zones
4. when approaching the shoreline, I will be especially aware of swimmers and other water vessels near the shoreline.
5. I realize my vessel's equipment, ability, weather conditions, and especially other vessel traffic should determine my vessel speed.
6. In case of an emergency I will volunteer assistance
7. I am aware my vessel creates air propeller wash and will use idle speed near the shoreline and in close proximity to boat launch ramps
8. I will avoid unnecessary disturbance of wildlife and will not enter posted "no trespass" areas.
9 I will pay close attention to the engine sound levels that my vessel may create and be aware of how others on vessels and on the shoreline will react to it.
10 I will not interfere with or harass others
11. I will not litter and will bring back all trash. I will be careful in handling my fuel\
12. I realize that people will judge all airboaters by my individual actions.

All airboaters should keep these simple ethics statements in mind and we do ---

this is supposed to be the first of several meetings.
I would encourage folks who can attend, to attend and respectfully ask to be allowed to enter the room and sit and listen to the debate.
bondo
FAA Corporate Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!

Slayride
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Slayride »

If there is going to be any protest or opposition, make note that the meeting is being held on the college campus of Texas A&M Corpus Christi. I'm quite sure that wasn't just an opportune place to hold it, but in any event, I'm quite sure without having your name on the roster for the meeting, the security guard at the front gate will have specific orders not to allow entry to anyone else. Which means any protest will need to take place in front of the campus on ocean drive. this then becomes an issue for the city of Corpus Christi and I am not familiar with city code regarding public protest. I'm quite sure there isn't anything wrong, but it wouldn't hurt for someone to research this issue. Additionally, the media needs to be contacted and perhaps someone protesting could speak to them redarding the issue at hand. This would also get the message out without the "clouded" view of the nutheads. They too may have some protesters outside the campus attempting to make thier delirious point. As I did not recieve an invitation, I will be taking some of the charters for those who were selected. Immediately following that, I would be glad to make a trip to the campus to join the protest if there is one planned.

Lest we forget, they, wade paddle pole, love to surf this site and see whats up with the airboaters.

So, Mr. Frishman, if you or your pals are reading this, you and the other "nutheads" have lost your minds! I'm being kind here, crediting you with ever having one in the past. :violent1:
There is nothing Mystical, Majical or Elusive about quality, we all know what it is!

CaptSteve
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CaptSteve »

SlayRide....
Sometimes you just amaze me.
You forgot to add.....
Will the person who saw the "Nerveous Fish Syndrome" please step forward.
SHLMAO
Im ready for the meeting and cant wait. Thanks for covering for me and thank you very much with helping on the recent youth hunt. There may still be a spot for you in Heaven.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Disregard I found John Adams email finally... thanks, Jeff

Return to “Texas Airboaters”