Newbie boat pic

Big N8
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Newbie boat pic

Post by Big N8 »

Its a little rough but i think its a good solid base for my first boat/build. Planning on motor rebuild , new cage , poly , different layout , camo wrap , lights . Any suggestions as to where i should start would be greatly appreciated. Plan on posting my progress for all to see.
airboat.JPG
airboat.JPG (74.95 KiB) Viewed 1471 times

Ruagatr
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Newbie boat pic

Post by Ruagatr »

In my opinion, airboating since 1974, you should lower the seats as far as possible in that boat. Use it and trade it...or sell it and get a wider bottom now. Safety first with that cage..stainless a must in saltwater where you run unless you want a maintenance pig all the time. Look at every boat you see...ask questions and use the word why a lot...

Maddog

Big N8
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Big N8 »

Stainless is probly gonna be outta the question $$$$$ . I have been running a fishing boat in salt for years now and have become somewhat acustomed to the maintence involved. As much as i would like to run stainless what are all you freshwater runners using , what size , whats the best way to get the long radius bend over my prop?

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by KC5AKB »

:old_glory: Welcome From The Fort Worth / Waco area
BRAB45 RRAB 17

czech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by czech »

I am running stainless in fresh water.I don't trust regular metal for applications on an airboat.Stainless cost more,but it's usually a one time payment.....of course unless you crash like me.Even in fresh water,there is a lot of rust out's that some people just keep patching and re-welding over and over.To me,that's not a good ideal if your slinging a prop or applying stress on an engine stand.
When it gets to tough for everybody else,that's when its just right for me.15 X 7.5 Duckmaster,330 hp 350,79 3 bld whisper tip....and that's enough for me.

Lonewolf9029
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Lonewolf9029 »

My SS hoops(2) rolled at 84" were $170.00. I could price out the whole cage.rigging,engine stand,seat stand,etc. all stainless if you want. PM me if interested. Don

P.S. Unless you're a welder/fabricator with equipment, the cost can be staggering!
TAA-426 15' x 7' Panther>>>350>>>2.68 Rotator gearbox>>.Sensenich 3bld 80" "R" series

FishinCoop101
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FishinCoop101 »

Well, welcome to the addiction. Airboats are very addictive. It looks like you have a good foundation to start with. Looks like an old gatortrax hull. I would advise that you keep the boat as light as possible. Forget about the poly. If you can........make all the rigging out of alluminum. I made all of my own rigging from the cage all the way up to the bow handrail. All alluminum. If you look at majority of these old Airbaot Hulls most of them are still in great shape from the 80's. Alluminum is pretty easy to work and last forever. Only downfall is its a little expensive to get the right set up for welding.

Good Luck

Big N8
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Big N8 »

I understand the weight issue , it seems to me if your planning on running dry or above shallow reefs that poly would be detrimental to the life of your floor . How much would enough poly to line this boat weigh / cost ?

wbd3405
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wbd3405 »

Man I saw that on craigslist a week ago. I ended up driving to florida this weekend to buy one. Where you located? I'm off the brazos in bellville. If you close maybe we can ride together.

ercalabria
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ercalabria »

Big N8 wrote:I understand the weight issue , it seems to me if your planning on running dry or above shallow reefs that poly would be detrimental to the life of your floor . How much would enough poly to line this boat weigh / cost ?
Best pricing I have found for poly is Wagner Plastics in Arlington. Talk to Bruce Roundtree and tell him its for airboat. We always use the REPRO, which is a black recycle poly. 817-649-6500 is his number. we usually use 1/2" on the Brazos.
BRAB 10 / TAA 212
16x8 OLE BLUE PANTHER- 502/450 /2-1 CH3 / Powershift

Big N8
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Big N8 »

Im actually about 2 hrs south of Bellville on 36 . But do plan on taking some trips just to hang out with fellow airboaters. I havent even had a chance to run the boat yet cause of my work schedule . I believe Im gonna run it once with by buddie in my gulf coast following me before i tear it down completly for a total rebuild . Trailor and all! My goal is to have it ready for about mid-summer.

Return to “Texas Airboaters”