Looking for help

wbd3405
Southern Airboat Member

Looking for help

Post by wbd3405 »

I just bought my first airboat this weekend from florida off of S.A. classifieds. This is an older aluminum hull. I cannot find hull I.D. # on it. It has been painted. I know I should have done this before purchasing the boat but I got the boat for a really great deal. Also the title says its a seanymph. Did they even make airboat hulls? Please help

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Re: Looking for help

Post by cntry141iq »

should be stamped on the outside of the hull transon right side ... I hear the texas folks really check the numbers when ya register one out there .. hope ya kept all the receipts and should have gotten it notarized .. just a thought
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

ercalabria
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ercalabria »

Texas does a good job on checking numbers. Some boat manufatures also put the numbers on the far right stringer at the back by the transom. You should have something on the old title if you got one. Should have last owner info.
Welcome to Airboating.
BRAB 10 / TAA 212
16x8 OLE BLUE PANTHER- 502/450 /2-1 CH3 / Powershift

wbd3405
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wbd3405 »

i have called the previous owner and let him know the numbers I have found do not match. He has said he knows nothing about it, and he had no problem registering it in florida. The title says it is a seanymph. I din't know they made airboats.

ercalabria
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ercalabria »

Go to Texas Parks and Wildlife website and you can print out title application / Transfer. On out of state transfer they will require a tracing or rubbing on the application of the serial #s on the hull and they want serial #s from the engine with HP and CI.
They will run the #s through Florida and maybe you will get a title and maybe not. If stolen you may have a problem. If they do not match the title #s you will still have a problem.
They will not help you get your money back.
BRAB 10 / TAA 212
16x8 OLE BLUE PANTHER- 502/450 /2-1 CH3 / Powershift

wbd3405
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wbd3405 »

This is a airboat with a sbc 350. They still want the engine serial #'s too?

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob »

Yeah when I registared my boat I had to do the trailer , the hull and the engine.
Welcome to Texas airboating, come ride when you get it all straight !!!
BB
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

wbd3405
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wbd3405 »

looking forward to it

dean
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dean »

I think if inboard then you dont have to register,such as airboat, if outboard you have to register both engine and boat, there is no title on inboard engine only outboard.
1996 Classic BRAB 3, 16 x 8, zz3 corvette 345 hp k-way gear drive, 78in 6 blade warp drive prop , on the hill at Poverty Hill

lakesteak123
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lakesteak123 »

you can also file for lost title or homemade boat if that doesent work. if it has i.d. stickers on the hull you can give tpw those numbers and get the process started. i have been thru the whole "lost title/ no title" process and i will tell you its a pain in the butt. your best bet is "if it aint stolen" to take the boat to the tpw office and a game warden will give it a look over and find some kind of i.d. number's

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SHABA »

If you need a Warden to look at the numbers and check it out!!!! You need to make a appointment with them... Must be something that they just started. They hav 1 day a wek that they personally chck numbers... They really take the serial numbers very seriously. If you have a small block you must give them a number off the block. That was what they made me do to my last small block airboat that I registered from out of State. If the last owner doesn't know what happened to the numbers being different from the title I could be wrong but it seems like you might get stuck holding the Bag... Hopefully Not! Mitch
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

wbd3405
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wbd3405 »

Ok, I've done alot of research since my last post. I have looked everywhere on this hull and there are no numbers. I have also read that prior to 1974 manufactures were not required to mark hulls with vin #'s. The marking I found was one letter followed by four numbers. Apparently that was a model number.

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 21DiamondB »

If you have the title to the boat, which to me sounds like you have the title for a different boat because I don't think Sea Nymph ever made an airboat, then you don't have to register the motor to the boat if you tell them that there is no motor in it and you are building it or putting it together. If you tell them it has a motor in it, they will want that too and require that. If you don't have the title to the boat and are wanting to register it as home made then they will require receipts for the all the materials involved in building it along with an inspection by the game warden. It's a big pain in the a$$. Your best bet is to find out whats going on from the previous owner. If he's no help then its going to be difficult. The only other way is to just transfer the title that you do have from out of state, but you will need to find a way to trace the hull ID numbers "somehow" and it will not require an inspection. What are the last two numbers of the hull ID on the Sea Nymph title that you have? That's the year model.
-------- 16.5 x 8 Diamondback - 632ci - Oxbox 2. 55 - Sensenich 5-Blade JX---------

FishinCoop101
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FishinCoop101 »

How much did you pay for this boat?.......And sounds to me like you might of got one of those too good to be true deals. If the hull is alluminum.....does it look homemade or does it look like a manufactured hull. If you have a title for the boat and the title has a hull ID or Serial Number. All you need to do is punch the numbers that are on your title onto your hull. TPWD does not get involved with you identifying your hull. I have a homemede hull and all I had to do is punch the numbers and letters that came on my title onto the hull where it it visible. The TPWD never verified the numbers on the hull. But I run my boat and have never had any problems. If you Notice all the fine print on the TPWD forms. They all make you liable for whatever you do or dont do to your boat. If your boat is stolen from florida wich would be the worst case scenerio. TPWD could sieze your boat and return it to Florida. If they can prove that its stolen. If it just has a fubared title......for instance.....the boat might have had a lien on the hull at one time, so the previous owner of the boat remved the serial or hull id numbers. Then he found a title to an old sea nymph and used the boat numbers from the sea nymph and transfered them to the airboat. If you put that serial or hull id # on your hull. who is to say that the boat is not now a sea nymph. no one is going to say oh no your boat is not as sea nymph its an air ranger......But if the instant does arise that they question who placed the serial numbers on your hull.....I would plead the 5 th......Do you see my point. DONT ASK DONT TELL

lakesteak123
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lakesteak123 »

wbd3405 wrote:Ok, I've done alot of research since my last post. I have looked everywhere on this hull and there are no numbers. I have also read that prior to 1974 manufactures were not required to mark hulls with vin #'s. The marking I found was one letter followed by four numbers. Apparently that was a model number.

that is what they told me on my 13ft duck skiff. i had about the same amount of numbers and letters stamped on a transom brace. they looked them up and found that there were only four boats with the same numbers and none of them were listed as stolen so they gave me the title. but a 13 ft 200$ duck boat and an air boat are two different animals!! i had to fill out a legal doccument " with some 5dollar name" that gave the history of the boat for the last ten years!!! when i say it was alot of bullshet to go thru im not kidding! bill of sale will help ya if you have it!

good luck bro!

Slayride
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Slayride »

Does the hull have any keels on the bottom or is it smooth? Also, is it riveted or all welded? The boat could be a john boat conversion into an airboat. This would explain the sea nymph on the title. If the hull is completely smooth on the botton side, its probably not a sea nymph and they just used an old sea nymph title to get the thing registered in Fl.

Good luck
There is nothing Mystical, Majical or Elusive about quality, we all know what it is!

cntry141iq
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by cntry141iq »

Well it probably aint much help but if you bought it legit and got a bill of sale like any legit deal would include .. then simply turn it over to the cops in florida and texas and let them do what they are gonna do. If the person who sold it to you was lefit it will work out if not they need to go to jail for stolen stuff of fraud. This is a huge problem in florida with homemade boats and fly by night builders it needs to stop somewhere .. sick the cops on it and let it sort its self out ...
Don't waste your time ... it is the only thing you can't get more of
.. if it accidentally looks like I gave advice please ignore it .. and notify me immediately

Return to “Texas Airboaters”