Need some feed back and don't be shy

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Need some feed back and don't be shy

Post by 80 panther »

Will it work or not has anybody tried this ?

http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/share.do? ... =RETRIEVED
Last edited by 80 panther on Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texas_rebel_1980
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Need some feed back and don't be shy

Post by texas_rebel_1980 »

i click on that link and nothing happens. is it a pic of your airboat? email it to me and i will post it for you dad.
TAA-512
If it flies, it dies

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 80 panther »

OK try again

texas_rebel_1980
Southern Airboat Member

it worked but the pics are rotated 90* and I have no idea anyway....put some pics of the boat you just painted. i want to see it on something bigger than my cell phone!
TAA-512
If it flies, it dies

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus »

Float pod on an airboat... I think it should work... is it foam filled & water tight or is it just empty with air, either way it should may the back end float. :scratch:
:texas:

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Pods I have on my jon boat, are air filled and have drain plugs installed... they have not had water in them ever... but JUST in case the welder suggested it instead of filling with foam, and getting a tiny leak and then having soggy wet heavy foam in them....

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 80 panther »

No foam just air with a drain plug for the pontoon and two for the boat

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Flotation foam in closed spaces must be CLOSED CELL foam, not open cell like Airconditioning wall sealer, etc.. Closed cell will not water log.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

FishinCoop101
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FishinCoop101 »

Hey Panther,

I think it will work, you might have to support the top of the inner hull, because when you run over mud and ground you will have that 18"-24" of leverage pushing on the original hull. But look on the bright side if it is sealed then dont have to worry about sinking so much. Ive Seen that boat before, how much did youo pick it up for?

good luck let me know if ya need some help.

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 80 panther »

MY youngest son bought it and another 16' panther,5 seats, rudders, two motor racks, rudders, 2 seat stands, and two props both boats on trailers for $1,500 :D I have run this boat with out the add on with 1500 pounds of hunters decoys and 5 guns with shells and it ran fine.Also ran it with just me and i really liked the way it handled but it flipped on the owner and he add the pontoon to itand never seen it run with it. IFyou are wondering about the 1500lbs I have big sons and big friends just like me lol :old_glory:
Last edited by 80 panther on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ercalabria
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ercalabria »

Flotation set up you got there might just be the ticket. Keep us updated on the results. The steep banks on the rivers up here have made submarines out of a few boats.
If you come across any more good deals like that and you dont wanna mess with them, lets me know , I am always in the market for a cheap project boat.
BRAB 10 / TAA 212
16x8 OLE BLUE PANTHER- 502/450 /2-1 CH3 / Powershift

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 80 panther »

ercalabria wrote:Flotation set up you got there might just be the ticket. Keep us updated on the results. The steep banks on the rivers up here have made submarines out of a few boats.
If you come across any more good deals like that and you dont wanna mess with them, lets me know , I am always in the market for a cheap project boat.

I sure will

Jason Allen
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Jason Allen »

I have recently installed one on a customers boat, although not as elaborate as the one you are asking about, it seems to be working fine and doing what he wanted. Should work great.

Sam7130
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Sam7130 »

it looks like you did a good job, and you should be alright. It may cause the boat to porpose? If it's hollow watch that it doesn't bend up. Other than that just like most everything else in the industry, try it as see if it works.

shiggs
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by shiggs »

Marshland did a job just like that on a green panther hull that was 7' wide. From what I understand, the owner went from a small block to a big block and wanted a little more lift in the back so he asked them to fab the extension. Adding to the running bottom aft with the rigging and engine in the same place, I would imagine it would be much like a counter rotater is rigged with the rigging pushed foward from the rear. On a shorter hull this could alter the weight distribution negatively, but on a longer hull it would have less of a impact on weight distribution. The only other consideration would be how they braced it on the bottom of the extension. Since the back few feet is normally the area prone to take the most abuse and it could develop a hook easier if is just a box with no bracing on the bottom.

80 panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 80 panther »

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. I believe we are going to try it first might throw a big block Chevy on it since it will float a little better in the stern. who knows it might be the ch!t :old_glory:

texas_rebel_1980
Southern Airboat Member

my brother should sell me the hull and parts he doesn't use for cheap. we could be a 3 airboat family!
TAA-512
If it flies, it dies

Return to “Texas Airboaters”