Larry McKinneys Report on Workshop

CaptSteve
Southern Airboat Member

Larry McKinneys Report on Workshop

Post by CaptSteve » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Here are the links to the worshops final report written and interpreted by Dr. Larry McKinney.
This is what I commented on for the first draft. Some verbiage was changed from the first draft and it is somewhat reflected in the final draft.

The user groups represented at the workshop seemed to be equally diverse.
That being said the results of the survery really dont reflect the voting of the general public as power vessels and other user groups outnumber the wade paddle pole population.
Although the report states that extraordinary efforts were made to get a "true cross section of bay users" at the Workshop, it is clear from the numbers in Table 1 that those efforts were not successful: 35% of attendees were waders / kayakers and only 57% were power boaters ( 1.6 : 1 ). Anyone who has spent any time on the bays knows that the number of users who are power boaters is far greater than the number who are waders / kayakers, perhaps by as much as 5:1 or even more. So, you would be correct to say that the attendees were a "diverse" group, but you cannot say that they were a "true cross section of bay users. Clearly, the voting results only reflect those at the workshop and cannot be said to reflect the views of the overall population of bay users.

Be sure to read the article on line that David Sikes authored on the workshop and its aftermath. There was a great feeling of being betrayed by some participants and we made our feelings very clear. To my chagrin some of those that felt betrayed may have been closer to the "other side". Many emails went back and forth on this. I can say that the results of the workshop are tainted. This will all work for us but you need to communicate your thoughts and feelings to the Commissioners. Saying you will wrte a letter to the commsisioners on a post and following through are two different things. The final outcome of this will be those that make the most noise will overcome. Time to start making noise.
If anyone has problems composing a letter Im sure there are some members here that will help you out. Dont be afraid to ask.

David Sikes article can be viewed at http://www.caller.com/news/2011/feb/16/ ... ntroversy/

PDF files of the report and survey results can be downloaded at the following links.

http://files.e2ma.net/40118/assets/doc ... .17.11.pdf

Survey
http://files.e2ma.net/40118/assets/docs ... _28_11.pdf

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Larry McKinneys Report on Workshop

Post by rost495 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:01 pm

I'm trying to work up a scenario to help folks write letters, thankfully we have a bit of time on this one... and I"ll let folks know if they need help.

If you need help just PM me, I'm tied up still heavy through the end of Feb but better after that....

Good work both Dana and Steve!!

Thanks, Jeff

Slayride
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Slayride » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:47 pm

I find it highly offensive that the jack asses actually went to the commssioners last August with safety concerns, and then by an over whelming vote, do NOT want to put a safety colored vest or devise on to protect themselves and be more visual. ??????

"uh, I'm afraid for my life because of those big mean airboat people.......... but I'm not going to do anything to help keep myself alive"!

JUST FREAKING REDICULOUS!!!!!!!
There is nothing Mystical, Majical or Elusive about quality, we all know what it is!

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:01 pm

I had a prime example of how well color works too while running traps this weekend..... a couple of times I got up to around 150 yards or so of what I thought was something else, and it was a wader..... of course one gave me the WTF arms???? and I courteously went around... I'd have loved to run up and chat with him but no time.....

Anyway while running some abandoned traps out by light house cove basically.... we were in open water. I saw a boat. NO wader.... finally after much looking he was chest deep about 300 yards from his boat... HARD to see... next boat I see, I'm thinking they gotta be somewhere too... and I instantly, at a distance of appx .25 mile according to the GPS, spotted the one with a peach shirt on... the other 2.... not till we were much closer.

But yes, it is extremely ridiculous to put the burden on someone else when you are the issue due to your size.

Of course our group told me what I figured.... in the meeting.... they were complaining about how power boats ruin the fishing, and there are no fish on the flats anymore. But they want the flats left alone. I asked why. Because they wanted to fish them....without motors..... but I said I thought there were no fish.....
And then we went to if the fish are in bad shape what do you want to do. Close zones to motors. I says well if they are bad, I move that we close zones to angling period to build them up. I think of our group of about 20-25 folks maybe myself and 2 others voted yes.... the rest were... lets just say, aggravated at the thought of NO one using a zone instead of only a special interest group....

Return to “Texas Airboaters”