Grass Planting Corpus Christi

CaptSteve
Southern Airboat Member

Grass Planting Corpus Christi

Post by CaptSteve » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:56 pm

This morning we finished another grass planting for the Coastal Bay Foundation. Slayride (Dana) and myself took maybe 45 kids back and forth from one island to the next. Some were planting new grass plugs and others we dropped off on previously planted islands so they could water the grass on them. Grass near the water line is growing but grass on the tops of the islands look pretty distressed. They have one more planting that they will need a couple of airboats for at the end of the month. I think its April 30th. Ive been to three out of the last four but I will not be able to attend the last planting.
Hopefully somebody close by can answer the call.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Grass Planting Corpus Christi

Post by rost495 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:44 am

I was wondering how it went on Saturday. Can't thank you and Dana enough for making almost all of the plantings there.

I'm sure we'll find a volunteer or two to cover.

How bad was the wind? And what about this damn drought... I think its going to suck for summer, 95 and hot dry and windy here and no chance of rain basically until June and we don't get rain in June/July/August typically....grr..

Great job guys!!!

Come on folks... need volunteers!!! Its unfortunate that the 30th is a planned bachelor party for my nephew here in town and as I'm best man in the wedding, I can't miss that as I have to help Friday/Saturday and clean up and go home Sunday else I'd be there in a flash.

Come on folks, we need to keep TAA at the top of the list here!!!

Jeff

CaptSteve
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CaptSteve » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:08 pm

Hey Jeff
The wind was not too bad it actually helped getting off the islands at times. As you probably found out there is alot of oyster shell contents in the islands and banks. I managed to stick a couple of times and had to call on the extra pony"s to get off the bank. I guess I could have unloaded some of the passengers (9) but then were would the fun of that have been? Unfortunately Dana was in the prop wash on one occassion and I showered him pretty good. The kids told their mentors that they had a lot of fun on the airboats and enjoyed the morning. Watering the old plants was kind of a drag and required lots of landings. We told them to get a trash pump and run the output through a garden hose and they could water the islands from the boat. That kind of project maybe something we will visit in the future.
Have fun at the stag party................................................no cameras and what happens at the party stays at the party eh?

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:00 pm

Getting the job done is the main thing. And Safely.

The kids having a blast is always a big plus. IMHO if you put ANY kids on an airboat that I know.... they all LOVE it and lets just see... they would be the future here and I'll brainwash em best I can. Grins...

I have kids call me up now to ask about bowfishing this time of year..... None of them hate airboats.

Though those extra pony's get loud at times... Bet that prop wash cooled Dana down some....

Yep what goes on at the party stays at the party. Though this is a country one... fishing, shooting, bowfishing, bbq, beer and just a good ole time on the river bottom and couple of travel trailers to spend the nite so no one goes anywhere....

Slayride
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Slayride » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:04 pm

Yeah, I got cooled off a bit. LOL But guess who's pony's never hung up? Oh wait, perhaps it was skill? LMAO!!!!

I won't make the planting on the 30th, going to Houston for the NHRA show. SERIOUS pony's!!!!! Their fuel always smells better than mine!
There is nothing Mystical, Majical or Elusive about quality, we all know what it is!

Return to “Texas Airboaters”