Poly Replacement

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Poly Replacement

Post by NotAGuide »

Since its only been 104 everyday since May, I thought I'd go ahead and replace the old white poly under the boat. :violent1: Lost a small area of poly while white bass fishing this spring and was tired of the bad handling characteristic due to a hook at the transom. Thanks to advice from Eugene and photos from BrotherBob redux, I've removed most of the dents and reinforced the hull a little. Added 6' of 1 1/2" tubing between existing T-bars after pounding out the dents with a porta-power and rock-bar. FYI, I don't recommend clamping a I-beam for the Porta-power to the top angle on the sides. It will bust the welds and seperate after applying 6000# of pressure. Ran out of spool wire last night but should have the last two sticks of tubing welding in this evening. Waiting on borrowing a Bobcat to flip over and screw down poly. I'm gonna go ahead and re-drill from the underside using the existing holes. The original revits have already been welded up and hate to weld up another 600 holes. Hope to have it up and running before Labor day. We'll see.

Been kinda slow around here and wanted to post up a photos of the progress.
Attachments
051.JPG
051.JPG (161.44 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
048.JPG
048.JPG (160.29 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
049.JPG
049.JPG (135.7 KiB) Viewed 2561 times
Professional JB Welder
Old 18' American hull, 470CID S&S, Ch3 2:1, 3-blade Whirlwind Whisper Tip

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Poly Replacement

Post by rost495 »

Looking good there ! Whats a porta power? And why tubing instead of T bars?

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor »

Great job and pics look good. I especially am familiar with the thermometer one. LOL :P
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

rost495 wrote:Looking good there ! Whats a porta power? And why tubing instead of T bars?
A porta-power is basically a sophisticated bottle jack. Has a hand pump and reservoir similar to a grease gun thats attached to the jack by a 5' hose. They come in a veriaty of sizes (3ton, 6ton, 10ton) used mainly for automotive body work pushing out dents and frame work.

Used sq. tubing since its available and priced right locally. I actually called American and priced T-bar. Wasn't a option with price and shipping. I'm just trying keep a future hook and cupping thats occured between the original T's from happening.

Slow going by myself in this heat but managed to finish the remaining tubing and repair the side welds I broke. Still waiting on equipment to help flip it over. :roll:
Attachments
054.JPG
054.JPG (168.06 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
Professional JB Welder

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN »

Lot of work for a guy by himself :salute: :salute:

Sounds like you need to have a "cook out / party" in order to get your friends over :lol: :lol:

then hand them a sander, welder, hammer :violent1:

Lookin good Mister.

Hasbeen :texas:
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"

18panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 18panther »

Do/can your new ribs run to or past a cross brace? Can't tell from the pics if the cross braces are where they sleep or if one is just moved forward while you work.

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

18panther wrote:Do/can your new ribs run to or past a cross brace? Can't tell from the pics if the cross braces are where they sleep or if one is just moved forward while you work.
The new tubing runs short of the mid-ship brace. I did contemplate having it run under and attaching, but they are 1/2" shorter than the T's. Through bolting them and attaching them to the brace was a probelm. I already was running jacks in the bottom and plan on applying pressure to them with the jack. Who knows? Ran without them for 21yrs pretty good.
Professional JB Welder

ercalabria
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by ercalabria »

Nice job. Square tubing works great. I bet she rides like a new boat when your done.
BRAB 10 / TAA 212
16x8 OLE BLUE PANTHER- 502/450 /2-1 CH3 / Powershift

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

ercalabria wrote:Nice job. Square tubing works great. I bet she rides like a new boat when your done.
It was all my idea....... :lol:

Seriously, thanks for the tips.
Professional JB Welder

18panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 18panther »

My older hulls are '78 and '79.I ran the extra stringers full length on those. The newer ones i've run to the front/second cross rib.

When they don't go under the cross rib they can "hump" up with the hull. The aluminum a little "memory" even when you beat it back down.

18panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 18panther »

From the pictures you can't be in Rockport.

Theres not near enough rust in that garage!

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

18panther wrote:My older hulls are '78 and '79.I ran the extra stringers full length on those. The newer ones i've run to the front/second cross rib.

When they don't go under the cross rib they can "hump" up with the hull. The aluminum a little "memory" even when you beat it back down.
It's definitely a concern I hope the jack will address. My biggest problem was at the last 6" of the hull.

Lucky to have a good friend with a shop here in Waco. After its up in running, it will be in RP until it needs more TLC. I'm torn between having it in Waco for the Brazos though. Once duck season starts, its hittin it pretty hard across Aransas Bay.
Professional JB Welder

18panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 18panther »

I re-read above and saw that you can put pressure on them with your jacks. That should do it and give you the plus of tuning a little.

18panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 18panther »

The "hurricane" that was'nt!

At least it did'nt flood the little bit of fresh water left on the island.We had very little surge. 0 rain.
Last edited by 18panther on Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

That sucks.

I have a friend staying at the house and didn't even know there was a storm coming.

Thanks again for the advise. Would have been nice to see your hull before I started.
Professional JB Welder

18panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 18panther »

They are always here.Let me know if I can do anything.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Thanks RE the tubing answer... would think that it might be stiffer than a T bar when you think about it so was just curious. Kinda funny that youd' think a T bar has a bit less metal and easier to fabricate, but put the word airboat on it.... it triples in price....

I can hear it now... No this special AIRBOAT square tubing so its 20.00 bucks a foot.... now if you want that junky old normal tubing its way less.... grins....

I had the hook in the back of the boat like yours REALLY bad.... had to put a jack in there to solve taht issue.....

I"m hoping to save enough to pull my boat totally down one summer, weld the holes, build a rake, put new half inch poly on, put some more bars or tubing in, build a new stand for the 496 and Stinger instead of the belt and 454. ANd modify the cage some..... Only what... 10 grand or so..... and a full summer of work....

Jeff

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus »

Lookin' good there NotAGuide :thumbleft:
:texas:

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

rost495 wrote:Thanks RE the tubing answer... would think that it might be stiffer than a T bar when you think about it so was just curious. Kinda funny that youd' think a T bar has a bit less metal and easier to fabricate, but put the word airboat on it.... it triples in price....

I can hear it now... No this special AIRBOAT square tubing so its 20.00 bucks a foot.... now if you want that junky old normal tubing its way less.... grins....

I had the hook in the back of the boat like yours REALLY bad.... had to put a jack in there to solve taht issue.....

I"m hoping to save enough to pull my boat totally down one summer, weld the holes, build a rake, put new half inch poly on, put some more bars or tubing in, build a new stand for the 496 and Stinger instead of the belt and 454. ANd modify the cage some..... Only what... 10 grand or so..... and a full summer of work....

Jeff

Always nice to have a wish list........wish to upgrade to a new boat. Not happening anytime soon for what they cost.

Jeff,
Just wanted to say thanks for your hard work, time, and organization of the TAA. That also goes to everyone else involved. Thank you.
Professional JB Welder

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

TAA is not me, or the officers, its the members. If the members are there for each other, TAA will be a grand thing. If they are not, then it'll fail. From reading here and meeting folks in person, I know it'll be a grand thing. Folks always willing to help, to call, to write letters, to show up and protest the wrong things. To show up and volunteer for the good things in life to help others, the state, the wildlife, the habitat etc.... As long as that continues, and the coast backs the north, and the east backs the west and so on, we'll be just fine, all on the same page and a force to be reckoned with!

A pat on the back now and then is a good thing.... I know Lee is pulling her hair out trying to organize and set up data bases and such.... and that at least a few of us, hopefully more, are working on our testimony for the TPW meeting in a couple of weeks.

New boat... yeah that too..... would be nice.... lotto would be nice, to walk into American, draft up exactly what I"d want, and write a check and pick up a broken in product ready to go later on.... though I do actually love the sweat put into my own stuff actually more than being able to simply write a check... guess I"m weird that way...

But THANKS, Jeff

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

Well....

Finally got the tub back together again. Had a little help installing the poly in the heat and ran it over to the boat ramp for a leak test. Had a couple of set backs with old poly rivets leaking but managed to get it straightened out. Had to walk away from it a few times in frustration but happy with the outcome.

Back together and ready to ride and chase a few duck.
Attachments
058.JPG
058.JPG (134.5 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
054.JPG
054.JPG (103.87 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
005.JPG
005.JPG (106.04 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
Professional JB Welder

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN »

Awesome Job ! :salute:

I helped on a similar job last year...."That ain`t no place for a Boy"

It has to make you proud of your ride, and yourself for getting it done.

Good luck on the Ducks.

Hasbeen :texas:
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"

NotAGuide
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by NotAGuide »

Hardest part is finding the time. Like I mentioned, had to walk away a few times and come back with a fresh outlook.

Probably be out burning some "premium" tomorrow evening below Whitney. Plan on launching close to Waco and running to the Dam and back if anyone's interested in drinking a few cold beverages.
Professional JB Welder

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by Quackcephus »

Glad to see ya Got~R~Done :thumbleft:
:texas:

cummins diesel power
Southern Airboat Member

Post by cummins diesel power »

Good to see you back on here. Your boat looks real good.
I went about 12 or 14 miles today.I'd love to go tomorrow if
it wasnt for having a wedding to go to.
15x7 1974 airgator,500 cadillac dd,74" q series sensenich prop, 1/2" uhmw poly.
18x8 2001 panther, 502 chevy, 2 to 1 century,3 blade 78" stump puller, 1/2" poly

Return to “Texas Airboaters”