Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Oct 1st is coming!!!!!!

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Oct 1st is coming!!!!!!

Post by 540 mountain motor »

Get that stick and string out and get it tuned up. It will be here quickly and those obsessed like I am need to be ready....When I get home from the shop I can't wait to take a shower and lose 5lbs of grease and sweat but I will endure an hour or two to shoot some arrows and maintain groups.. Anybody feeling it too???? Jeff I know you do!! Rifles were made for tent stakes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"
gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Tic Toc, Tic Toc, Oct 1st is coming!!!!!!

Post by gblack15 »

I have been shooting all summer, cant wait to get back out.
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Haha. You got it bad don't ya! I found a shed at the house that is going to force me to work harder this year. Even forced me to buy my first game camera last week.... I finally caved in there.

2 nights of pics and I didn't see a good one, but 2 decent bucks and a bunch of bucks.

I'll be out there in my bow box on Oct 1 for sure, just in case I finally find one big enough to shoot.
540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Well I'm foaming at the mouth for season opener. Got all my clothes washed, got my battery on my Ozonics machine charged, all blinds put out. Will be heading to Bandera in two weeks for one more corn top off run and ck on all bow blinds/cameras before season. Corn costs are brutal, fuel is rough, heat is deadly but I'm still gonna make a year of it. I got it BAD :P :P With all these 6.0 Powerstrokes dropping like flies I am gonna have job security :lol: Got a shop full of em
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

I got a deal on a trailer of last years corn. But the worst part is I put an RV sewer gate on the trailer and it worked fine for bagging until I put diatamaceous earth on top of the corn and tarped it.... to prevent bugs... for some reason the corn won't flow out easily at all now, in fact barely is a better word.....

But yeah its all high, we are buying non medicated creep feed at 14% protein at less than the cost of corn at the store right now. As it stands I'll probably feed it all season unless things change for the better, twice the protein and less cost. At least keep it in the self feeders anyway.

I don't have all that ozonics, clothes, stuff.. I simply made myself a good box blind, and caulked every last thing airtight, ran a bead of silicone around the 3 shooting windows and can leave them closed all the time or silently open one for shooting quickly if need be..... though most of the time my wind is good enough I could keep the main window open. Lots less hassle that way.
540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Smart on blind idea. I hung a stand in a pecan tree in my back yard last night to try and practice from 18 feet up. I think it will help. The Ozonics machine does work. I know it is costly but worth every dime, sold some scrap metal at work to pay for it. Scrap prices are incredible and we save every piece and pile it on an old trailer. Pays off..
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Oh yeah, i searched up data on ozonics after you mentioned it, and if I was still in a double bull, no doubt or an outside stand. As it is, I'm fairly confident I could have a deer walk by and brush the stand on the downwind side and never have a clue. Of course they are so hungry right now it won't matter much. I have two 10s that come every evening. And a really heavy 8. Mostly at dark and all night long on the protein, but then again when you have about 15 plus different bucks hanging around a feeder, it takes them all night for all of them to get some feed....
540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Made a mad dash 600miles round trip Saturday and topped off feeders, put out two large water troughs and hung two more stands. It is getting real close to time fellars!!!!!
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Good luck! Sitting in seattle waiting on the flight home. You have loved how close we called moose in!
Jeff
540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Your killing me Jeff, one day I will make it that way!!!!!!
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Hard to get out of my system... Dunno why but I like Alaska more every time I go.
540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Well I can think of three good reasons why I would like Alaska: FLYFISHING, BOWHUNTING, NOT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Not working wouldn't be part of the formula... loose weight on every trip....

if only I could move. Wife promises we can spring/summer/fall there every year after retirement... just not winter... better than nothing.
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Ain't large for lots of folks but its liable to be the best I'll ever have the privilege of taking. 6.5 years old, 135ish gross. 16 yards. Sat PM.
HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN »

Awesome Job !

If it weren`t for your ears.....that smile would go all the way around your head :bounce:

Scoped Crossbow ?

Nice :thumbleft:

Hasbeen :usa:
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

Yeah, scoped crossbow. Buck at 16 yards. I usually run a compound or recurve, but the last few years have been zero time for practice, just to get out, the crossbow works as you certainly don't have to practice with it, just verify its zero'd. The hard part is getting em close as I don't shoot past 15 typically, and getting em to hold still as I"m picky about shot location and angle and such... this one center punched the heart. As it should have.
540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Sweet!!!!!! Looks great, very nice buck. I shot a 5 year old nine this morning along the Medina River bottom at 29yds with a Muzzy 100 grain BH. I shot high and spined him, he dropped in his shadow. I will post a pic when I can. Just got home in time this evening for Bible study, I'm beat. Drove 660 miles round trip and hunted all but three hours of daylight. Jeff you should be proud of that buck, I would....

Return to “Texas Airboaters”