Sen. Estes @ Holiday Hills Country Club TX 10-27-11 @ 7PM

Quackcephus
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Sen. Estes @ Holiday Hills Country Club TX 10-27-11 @ 7PM

Post by Quackcephus »

Sen. Craig Estes will be the Special Speaker at the Holiday Hills Country Club in Mineral Wells, TX on Thursday, October 27, 2011 @ 7:00 pm... this is the mofo that sponsored SB 408 into the Texas Senate. It would be great if a few of us could attend & show our support. :thumbleft:
:texas:
KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: Sen. Estes @ Holiday Hills Country Club TX 10-27-11 @ 7P

Post by KC5AKB »

:roll: Humm
BRAB45 RRAB 17
czech
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by czech »

I wonder how long he can ski behind an air boat,much less stay up? :dontknow:
When it gets to tough for everybody else,that's when its just right for me.15 X 7.5 Duckmaster,330 hp 350,79 3 bld whisper tip....and that's enough for me.
Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob »

Were gonna try and make it. :texas:
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 »

I"d love to make that one, unfortunately I"m booked up for the next 2 weekends solid, building fence on one, due to low water issues and cattle getting stuck and so can't change those plans.

Thats the great thing about a big enough orginization, some folks out of the group should be able to make it.

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks for the heads up!

Jeff
Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob »

My understanding is that Mr Estes(r) will make a small speech and try to raise some money. Then he will take questions.....I know there will be 10+ avid air boaters with some questions for him! :texas:
My wife and I will be there in our American Airboat tee shirts armed with TAA pamphlets , I promise to behave to the best of my redneck ability! :violent1:
BB
SHO-NUF!
HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN »

Brotherbob wrote:My understanding is that Mr Estes(r) will make a small speech and try to raise some money. Then he will take questions.....I know there will be 10+ avid air boaters with some questions for him! :texas:
My wife and I will be there in our American Airboat tee shirts armed with TAA pamphlets , I promise to behave to the best of my redneck ability! :violent1:
BB

OOOOPS!

Good Luck Fruitloops!

:roll:

Hasbeen :texas:
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"
Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob »

Here is your TAA report on the "open meeting" with State Senator Craig Estes .
Please bear with me as I am not a journalist or public speaker.
The Palo Pinto Republicans meeting Holiday Hills Country Club 27 OCT 2011
The PPR held its normal meeting.
1. Call to order
2. Pledge of Allegiance
3. Old business / new business
4. Announcements
5. Guest Speaker Sen. Craig Estes
All the above did not take 10-20 minutes, then Sen. Estes said " I see we have some air boaters here and I'll bet they want to talk about air boats on the Brazos river " ? Oh course the questions began.
1-Do you still support the ideas of SB 408 -basically Yes-
2. Why was the 3 day rule waved-normal business-
3. Does he plan to revisit SB408 in 2013 -YES-
4. What is the reason you support SB 408 , is it noise? -some- , is it safety -some- is it about Alice Walton ? She supports it yes .
He finally got ahold of the conversation and stated he supports a area for ONLY paddlers -canoes and kyacks -
I gave him the air boaters code of ethics, explained our rescue capabilities and that we have had no complaints or any tickets , that we should not seek a solution to a situation where there is no problem. I asked him to provide the TAA with WHO supports the bill and idea in writing -he gave me his card and said have your folks call me.
Finally he asked if we were willing to compromise on any area for paddling only? Most said no and so he said then there is nothing to discuss. I met with him after the meeting and asked that the conversation remain open with the TAA , that we want to discuss the problem if there is one. His office would like to speak to our representative .
He also asked that we contact Friends of the Brazo's and The Brazos river conservation coalition so we might seek out a solution as they were behind the idea.
I gave him the TAA pamplet and the Estuarys booklet , I have his card . I guess Rost/Bonnie needs that info and I can help with local info. There were 2 newspapers covering the meeting , 2 lawyers , 1 constable , 10 or so Airboaters and about 50-60 folks total . We dominated the discussion tonight.
I hope we did good , we sure let them know we dont like it and if he wants re-elected he needs to drop the matter.
Bob in Texas reporting from the bank of the Brazos river!
BB :texas:
SHO-NUF!
HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN »

That`s why you get the "Big Office" :thumbleft:

Good job and thank you very much.

Hasbeen
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob »

I should add -THANK YOU TO PALO PINTO REPUBLICANS for allowing us the time to speak with him. Mr Estes was receptive, articulate and polite , so were we.
Both sides understand each others position on the matter.....now what do we do ?
BB

Ya'll wanna hear a funny ? A couple of the more senior air boaters were in attendance , I had met them on the river before and gave them some TAA stuff and some Marshrider stuff ......one of em said where do you run at ?
I said well anywhere from PK dam south all the way to the gulf...... :lol: He said I used to know a couple of ole boys who did just that in corvair powered jon boats a long time ago.....I just smiled and properly introduced myself!! :mrgreen:

They had run with Uncle James and Red years ago.....

I think I made some new river buddies Mr.Don and Mr.Larry are air boating legends in our parts of the river.

Airboatin' folks are good people.
BB
SHO-NUF!
Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob »

Found a opinion article in my new favorite newspaper that sums it up real good.
From the Lake country Sun newspaper-OP-ED.

Another ho-hum election
It would seem most people could care less about the election that will determine changes to the Texas Constitution.
It is kind of a shame, really, that in a democratic society where people have a voice, they opt to remain silent.
But it is understandable, too. Consider what direction the politicians in Washington have taken and one can understand the frustration that filters down to state and local levels. Politicians make promises and express positions on issues that they know will never fly. All they want is the office, to be somebody important.
The old phrase, “It’s nice to be important, but more important to be nice,” comes to mind.
Here at home we saw it most recently when State Sen. Craig Estes slipped through legislation that would have banned airboats on the Brazos River between Possum Kingdom Lake and Lake Granbury. He said it was his legislation, not for anyone else. The Senator might not understand the oft used phrase, “that dog don’t hunt,” being a city slicker and all.
Even the folks in Austin called that bill “Alice’s Law” after Alice Walton, heir to the Walmart fortune and property owner along the river at Fortune Bend and actively against motorized watercraft — particularly air boats — on “her” stretch of the river.
It’s sad really, that Estes would accede to the wishes of someone for that person’s sole accommodation. But it raises a significant question. What else is hidden among the volumes of records of the Texas Senate that would not pass the smell test?
For those who have forgotten, Estes registered the bill with the Texas Secretary of State in January — as required — took it to the Senate for committee hearings — as required — then it went to the Senate floor for a vote.
That bill, SB 408, was originally about changing the dates that Texas Parks and Wildlife Department personnel would take water samples from the John Graves Scenic Riverway — our stretch of the Brazos.
The bill was read and passed the first time. On the second reading it passed again, at which time Estes offered a floor amendment to ban airboats and requested an exception to the rule regarding the wait period for a third reading. He got both and the bill went to the House, sponsored by Rep. Jim Keffer, who, it would seem, had no idea of the explosive amendment Estes had tacked on. No one else was aware of that either until it hit the governor’s office. When word got it, something else hit — and it hit the fan.
The governor ultimately vetoed SB 408 — but Estes tried every trick in the book to get it made law.
No wonder people have little interest in the mechanics of government when politicians can use smoke, mirrors and shenanigans to pass bills in their own interest.
It happens in Austin, Washington and likely here at home.
Don’t know about anyone else, but my nose is pretty curled from the stench of it all. And no, Senator, I ain’t lettin’ this one go.
SHO-NUF!
HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN »

BB wrote,
"Found a opinion article in my new favorite newspaper that sums it up real good"

And in "Plain Speak"

frustrating but accurate (IMHO) :banghead:

Good find Brotherbob :salute:

Hasbeen

BRAB46

tall651
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by tall651 »

Thanks BB thats the kind of work we the people are going to have to deal with if we can't get the money out .
18x8 Air Ranger 496 Levitator propelled by WhirlWind MasterBlaster sporting the new Rock Guard Bottom [1/2" UHMW Super-Slide Red Hot Poly W/Stainless Steel Stripping] aka Rock Crawler
10x6 Mini PE60 Continental Direct Drive aka Brazos River Scout

Return to “Texas Airboaters”