Thanksgiving at the lease

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Thanksgiving at the lease

Post by 540 mountain motor »

How many folks/families are going to spend their holiday lungbusting?
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"
rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Thanksgiving at the lease

Post by rost495 »

haha. We tried. So to speak. But before we could leave home Wed after work.. when I drove up there was the 3.5 yo long spike I've been after.... a bit of quick work and he was reduced to the cooler. 15 inch long spike on the one side...

We then hit the road. Saw nothing Thur Am. Nothing Thur PM. Friday AM saw nothing again, Fri we quit the feeders, they aint' workin feeders at all. Sat a field and no action and moved right at dark to see a couple of deer, too dark for good ID so passed. Then Sat AM it was raining... sat our stand. Broken up 8 point showed. And what was maybe a doe that I"ve been trying to shoot since opening day.. read that ANY doe... but she was gone before 645 am.....
Sat PM I was same field and shot a jake and a doe right at dark. Sun PM I wiggled into the brush and sat on a lawnchair... had about 10 bucks and some does in the brush with me. Acorns by the bazillions and thats all they were doing. Nothing worth shooting though.

How did your weekend go?

I have a nice 130ish inch 9 point at home thats 3.5 and really promising..... but the boss that huntes next to me says he'll kill him..... I've been feeding extra as I just don't see the point in shooting a young buck, he has spikes and other trash he can shoot and has a deer lease to boot too.... maybe I can hold him or not, but hope at least for a bit more as he has about 10 does right now in his "harem" so to speak...
540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by 540 mountain motor »

Well, closed shop early and sent all employees home at 2 Wednesday. Hit the road and arrived at 6:30 in Bandera and got RV opened up and hot water on. Hit stand at 5:20 Thurs am and saw 4 young bucks, Thurs eve sat in different Double Bull and saw 3 young doe and a mature 8 pt. Since I killed my prize buck opening weekend of bow season I am doe/cull buck hunting. Friday both hunts saw bout 15 diff deer but no shooters that met my criteria. Sat am my son and I grabbed the overgrown tent stake aka rifle and sat in box blind in rain and saw one spike. Well Sat eve it was incredible. Forty mph winds, chilly and the deer were deep in the rut. We watched 12 bucks and 7 doe run, run, run and run some more back and forth. What an awesome sight to see, several bucks were incredible!!! One I bet was a 135-140 class. What a time we had. God is good!!!!!!!
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"
RufflingFeathers
Southern Airboat Member

Post by RufflingFeathers »

Looks like you guys had a good time..... im still 202 milkes off the La coast but im going to give it heck when i get back to Tx..... my parents say there has been a few deer tearing up the feeders.... so i feel its my rightful duty to go investigate the crime scene and see if i cant find any good suspects lol... be blessed everyone
Ruffling Feather's one bird at a time....

Ruffling Feather's Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
rufflingfeathers@yahoo.com
https://www.facebook.com/RufflingFeathersGuideService
936-671-3477
16ft Alumitech sb350

Return to “Texas Airboaters”