Grass Planting Injury

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Grass Planting Injury

Post by rost495 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:13 pm

TAA has been in the forefront of providing boats to restore estuaries in TX. The last 2 years or so its been a big project in Corpus.

We have had some die hard locals going to support the needs for transportation, and we've had a few folks that are reliable from out of town.

One of these guys thats been there come hell or high water is our own Roy Mitchell. Heck of a good guy and volunteers for anything anytime mostly. He's had a few rough bumps in life lately, and thats unfortunate but he comes ready to play when he does. And as I said reliable to show up and thats even with traveling.

On another note its really sad that we don't have more folks involved in volunteering but I can preach that forever.

Anyway back to Roy. He was present Sat AM on the 13th, in Corpus and ready to go. He stepped off his boat onto the ground about 18 inches down he said, somethign he does all the time. Knee gave way. He ended up in the hospital and is at home now in San Antonio. Said he has yet to take an aspirin but the leg just gave out. Ends up he tore a muscle and it took a piece of bone with it when it gave.

Scheduled to have surgery next Thursday IIRC. Said it sucks, especially since duck season is on us, and he is in a brace right now and time will tell RE healing time.

Coastal Bend Bays put the planting on and our (second hand info to me) friend John Adams there, drove Roy to the hospital. Capt Kidd covered for Roy with a large boat and got the job done and has been checking in with Roy after the fact as have all our friends at CBBF.

Remember Roy in your thoughts and prayers. He is a Veteran and has many hard miles on him and continues to do the very best he can for all including TAA. He is one of those volunteers out there that helped us win our annual award last fall at CBBF banquet.

I'll try to put in some updates as I get them from Roy!

Jeff

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Grass Planting Injury

Post by Whitebear » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Maybe he deserves one of those awards himself. A ride for financial support might be in order. VA alone doesn't get everything done. Is he retired Military? Insurance of any kind? Some times we need to take are of our own. ;) Thanks for posting for those of us who have never met him. He sounds like a deserving person who is a contributor to society, not a leech. All the best for him and his family.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

18panther
Southern Airboat Member

Post by 18panther » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:28 pm

I have done several plantings but this was the first time I met Roy Mitchell. And it was a honor and a privilege to meet Roy and his son.

Roy EARNED my respect before I was born! And will have till I'm gone.

I was more than happy to help. And Roy WILL be duck hunting this year,he has a ride on one of my boats anytime. He's a pretty big boy,but I can more than hold my own. I told him I'd drag him down from San Antonio if he would'nt come on his own.

On a side note,,, there was a really cute girl on the planting. I cut a deal with her to distract Roy when hes down next, I plan on trying to end up with that chocolate lab pup he had with him.

I wish him a speedy recovery.

18panther

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by rost495 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:38 pm

18 Panther

I'll be giving you a call when I get caught up here... but many thanks for the help!! As always! We certainly appreciate your hard work at the plantings and all you did for Roy last weekend.

Jeff

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SHABA » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:50 pm

I want to say a special thanks to Craig Alias Captain Kid he is also 18 Panther.

I volunteered to take volunteers out to plant sea grass on small islands that were dredged up from the bottom off the coast of Portland Texas. I launched my boat and warmed it up by going around a few of the islands. Boat was running great and I was excited to be on the water again. This was the second time I had volunteered and I was ready to go. I had beached my boat on a makeshift boat ramp. When I stepped out from the deck to the ground something in my knee gave way. I could not move my leg. The people with the Foundation called an ambulance and I was taken to the Emergency Room at North Shore Emergency Center in Portland Texas.

The problem was I was with my Son and my son's Choc lab and was about 150 Miles from home. My son could not drive, my boat was in the water, and I was in the Hospital knowing I had a major problem. Captain Kid who I had meet only about 30 min before told me not to worry about anything!! He would get the boat on the trailer and take care of my son and his dog and my boat. My son is my best friend we do everything together and we have never been apart. I was putting my life in Captain Kids hands. (Craig) I can not thanks him enough he took care of my son and made sure that he was safe. He made sure that my boat and son's dog was taken care of and kept in touch with me in the hospital. I owe this man more that I can ever repay. He is my friend and always will be until I die. Craig when you read this know I will never forget you are the person that has taught me what a true friend is even after 61 years in life. Captain Kidd or 18Panther which ever one you want to pick since he is both made sure my boat and son and dog made it to my Travel Trailer at a RV Park. Both my daughters and son in law drove down from San Antonio and Picked me up from the Emergency room. She drove me home and my son in law took my boat and truck home. I was in a full leg splint which I am still in. I am a 100% Disabled Veteran I had to get back to San Antonio to get worked on at Audi Murphy V.A. Hospital . I went Monday and found that I had torn the upper muscle that hooks to the top of the Knee I am to have surgery a week from this Thursday. I not in any pain except my pride :lol: .

Again thanks to Brother Airboaters like Captain Kid or 18 Panther Pick one since they are the same person. It brings out the best in the Air Boating Community. Thanks to all
and God Bless!!! :usa:
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

Slayride
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Slayride » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:58 pm

Roy,

So sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. Please let me know if there is anything I can personally do to help. What an awesome story you share about Capt. Kidd and what a bond you have formed. I have known him personally for over 20 years and if he says you're going hunting with him this fall, by God, you will be! Just hold on tight on his boats!!! Sorry I couldn't be there Saturday, I wish you a speedy recovery brother!
There is nothing Mystical, Majical or Elusive about quality, we all know what it is!

MarshRider
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by MarshRider » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Roy
From your Florida girl friends
please take care of yourself. That's a great story
and I"m so glad you had someone to take care of you.

I"ll get painterchic to send you some of her halloween M&Ms

YOu'll be in my prayers as well as all the medical people taking care of you.
Bonnie
FAA Corporate Member
TexasAirboatAssociation 099
NebraskaAirboatAssociation Life Member
NEVER GIVE UP!!
http://www.marshridermagazine.com

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Sorry to hear this SHABA , hope you get well soon.
BB
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

Airboatcapt2
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by Airboatcapt2 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Roy,
Can I send you one of our 2013 Airboat Bikini Calendars to help count down the days of your recovery?

Just PM me your address and I will put yours on the top of the stack from the printer.

Wish you a speedy recovery!
Faron
Faron Floyd
American Airboat Corp
Orange, Texas
www.americanairboats.com
409-920-0716 Cell
Airboatcapt2@aol.com

SHABA
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by SHABA » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks You ALL!!!!

Sorry this has been the first time that I can sit here and type after my surgery!! Thanks for all the Prayers and thoughts! I had my surgery last Friday a week ago.. It turned out the tear in my muscle was worse than we thought after seeing the MRI. I had them completely open up my knee I have a incision 3 inches below to 4 inches above my knee. I still have it straight in a splint and should get the 50+ staples out on the 31 of October. I feel fine with the exception of the bed rest which i am in almost all the time. I am tired of watching TV :protest: I was told that it will be a long process of getting back to normal. (LOL) I have my kids taking good care of me.... Thanks for all your concerns and prayers. Thank You again Mitch
2007 Diamondback, Sensenich 3 blade wide 80", Stringer Soft Drive 2.38 Reduction Drive! TAA511

Return to “Texas Airboaters”