300 watt led lights

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

300 watt led lights

Post by wal1809 » Tue May 06, 2014 4:28 pm

I am pizzen like a little puppy. I got my 300 watt 54 inch LED light bar in the mail yesterday. Last night I hooked it up to a battery and I am completely amazed at how freakin bright that bar is. I can't wait to get it hooked up and mounted to my boat.

cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Re: 300 watt led lights

Post by cantrundry » Tue May 06, 2014 6:37 pm

I was recently told that I was unlawful to run lights other than the required navigational lights on a blow boat. I mention this because I just ordered a few pods for my boat and really want to avoid any flack by the possum sheriff. Is there any truth to this? :dontknow:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
PREPARE FOR BEARS AND PRAY FOR BUNNIES.

PeaRiverOpossum
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by PeaRiverOpossum » Wed May 07, 2014 7:08 am

cantrundry wrote:I was recently told that I was unlawful to run lights other than the required navigational lights on a blow boat. I mention this because I just ordered a few pods for my boat and really want to avoid any flack by the possum sheriff. Is there any truth to this? :dontknow:

State laws vary. Check http://www.myfwc.com or call. Even better, always use common sense and be courteous if it's not a law.
I have heard more about this recently with more people running leds. I've heard from the bow fishing guys in Alabama that it's illegal for them to run their shooting lights while underway for more than a few seconds at a time. I guess is for the best when people don't have enough sense to turn the lights off when they're around other boaters/houses. Some people think it's funny to show other boaters/houses how bright their lights are by blinding them. Not a good idea IMO. As these lights become more popular, I see this becoming an issue.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Last edited by PeaRiverOpossum on Wed May 07, 2014 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cantrundry » Wed May 07, 2014 7:18 am

Searched fwc uscg and state statute 327 and couldn't find anything. I'll call today and find out.

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wal1809 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:01 pm

My boat came with two 6 x6 led spots lights. They are as worthless as hencrap on a pump handle. I left out of Pringle Lake (On the coast) last year right at dark. I was willing to go through the deep water as we had a long run, going the shallow route would have doubled our run time. Within the first mile a thick fog set in. I couldn't see a dern thing. I turned around and went right back to the shallow long route. It was a painful drive at the slower speeds I had to run. I just couldn't see a thing with the lights I had. I know fog defeats all lighting, but with the led bar I am sure I would have been able to pick up the pace a little bit.

So far as legalities. I have no idea. Heck look at the candlepower the barges use. They have spolights they set forward and run down the intercoastal. So if a possum police stops me, I will deal with it then. I just can't see writing a ticket for good navigational lighting. But then again they are possum police.

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by mcm4 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:54 pm

I have been cited once on lake Austin and once in the Brazos river. It is against texas law to run any driving lights on the boat that are not both coast guard approved AND not originally installed on the boat by manufacture at speeds over an idle. I suppose I will be cited again as it is a stupid law.

Chaseh
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Chaseh » Wed May 07, 2014 7:28 pm

The brazos???? Really? I run with 10000 lumens when I run the brazos in waco at night.... I used to run 600 watts of kc lights and have that river Lit up from Bank to bank! I know the local wardens, but I'd have to bust or the a$$ hole card if they ever tried to cite me for running SAFELY

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

KC5AKB
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by KC5AKB » Thu May 08, 2014 8:11 pm

Chaseh we run a few LEDs we just black / dim down to the nav lights and
Some dim inside the cage lights when meeting on the river or a side LEDs that we
Kill when we get close to the other boat. We run your part of the river from time
To time . Still have a few lights to mount . I have never had a issue before.
BRAB45 RRAB 17

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wal1809 » Fri May 09, 2014 10:04 am

I called a buddy of mine who is a Captain, works for the State of Texas, carries Game wardens to check big vessels offshore IE: shrimpers ect. He has heard of no law, nor any game warden in his office have heard of a law not allowing you to use white light to navigate. White light is approved by the USCG for navigation. I am running them!
Last edited by wal1809 on Fri May 09, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Post by mcm4 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:23 pm

I have been cited in two different places 100 miles apart one by the city of austin lake police and one by the state of texas game warden, both said exactly the same thing... I still run mine but am willing to pay the fiddler when caught...

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wal1809 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:42 pm

mcm4 wrote:I have been cited in two different places 100 miles apart one by the city of austin lake police and one by the state of texas game warden, both said exactly the same thing... I still run mine but am willing to pay the fiddler when caught...

I wish I had a copy of the arrest title. When issued a citation, the actual violation written on the citation is called an arrest title. If you have a copy of either citation I would like to see it so I can research it. As for now if I got a ticket I would ask for a jury trial and show them the emails twix me and that captain and all his game warden people. No jury in the world would hammer me with a fine after showing them those emails. Besides that, these lights are the shizzle so far as navigating. What idiot possum cop would cite us for being more safe on the water.

cantrundry
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by cantrundry » Fri May 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Just tried to call the FWC office in Lakeland to inquire about this and find some truth. As it goes, at 1400 on a Friday afternoon they seem to be a typical gubment agency and not answer the phone with no way of leaving a message.

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wal1809 » Fri May 09, 2014 2:41 pm

:) I understand, I am on southern airboat today all day :toothy7:

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wal1809 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:40 pm

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wal1809 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:09 am

I got my lights in and love them. One problem came up and that was a busted end cap. Not that big of a deal as it did not in anyway affect the performance of the light. it was a little fin part of the end cap. I sent an email and the company repplied saying they would ship me a new part. Well I forgot about it and about a month later no part. I also noticed condensation in the lens after we got pounded by 8 inches of rain. The boat was sitting on the ground while I rebuilt the trailer axles (Whole different story). I emailed the company and 4 days later they sent a brand new light and an end cap. No return on the old one that is fully functional. I guess my 6 wheel Ranger is about to be a bright sum-B too now.

Return to “Texas Airboaters”