learning a new lesson about salt water

aggiejim
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

learning a new lesson about salt water

Postby aggiejim » Mon May 12, 2014 11:21 pm

so we get up at 7:00 weather report ses 10 mph winds all day cool so we filler up and head for a long ride for red fish a long way back in a barrier island so away we go way in, around 1 the wind really picks up to 25 gusting to35 problem was we crossed the lilly ann channel deep water a half mile of 25 foot deep water waves rolling 3 to 4 feet we had to cross (running low on beer) got passengers in the bottom of boat and picked a big wave and went surfing the wind was blowing so hard that the boat listed with the wind scared the hell out of me wanted to kiss that sbc had we even slowed we would have taken on water bad yall can laugh at my rake but it saved my a** new respect for something as simple as a little wind another _rookie lesson learned :dontknow: on the bright side the reds were huge all in the 30 inch range
16 x 8 floral city ls2 6.0 aluminun block 2.3 ch3
can u say addicted
16.5 x8 alumintech new build
6.0 ls2 2.3 ch3 3 blade
the aggie

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Re: learning a new lesson about salt water

Postby AirRanger » Tue May 13, 2014 12:28 am

I hope the lesson learned was to not take a dangerous risk of crossing back in conditions not suitable for the boat you are in putting yourself and passengers in harms way. It would have been much wiser to move to cover or calmer area and wait for conditions to improve. A few phone calls letting others know that you would be back late but are safe would relief worries from home. ALWAYS safety first.

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Tue May 13, 2014 7:56 am

any wind over 10 the wave will be big also never go out with a front moving thru of any kind.

scottyroll
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby scottyroll » Tue May 13, 2014 8:18 am

terrible ted wrote:any wind over 10 the wave will be big also never go out with a front moving thru of any kind.

X2. That's a good rule of thumb in my book!
:Scotty-Roll:
FLAwless

1999 14ft Alumitech deckover. ZZ502. 2.37 Stinger. 4 blade WW Falcon Prop

kwowens1963
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwowens1963 » Tue May 13, 2014 8:27 am

Sometimes we find ourselves in situations that we cannot control, believe me when I say I know how you feel. I went through the worst water I have ever experienced last Sept in NM on the Rio Grande river, never want to do that again. I too have a grass rake that I feel not only saved my boat from sinking but probably my life.

I agree with AirRanger, always use the buddy system when going out in unknown weather.

Just my 2 cents worth, oh I forgot I don't have 2 cents, the government took that as well :texas:
2012 15x8 GTO 383 Stroker, 3 blade sensenich
"Don't Stop Believin"
RRAA #007
BRAB #54

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Tue May 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Lesson learned may be applicable not to just SALT water, but likely OPEN water as well.
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

aggiejim
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby aggiejim » Tue May 13, 2014 10:41 pm

it actualy was not a front just rockport wind I rarley will consider that crossing it was suppose to be a calm day

see you all next saterday in marlin cant wait to meet a lot of yall
16 x 8 floral city ls2 6.0 aluminun block 2.3 ch3
can u say addicted
16.5 x8 alumintech new build
6.0 ls2 2.3 ch3 3 blade
the aggie

terrible ted
Southern Airboat Member

Postby terrible ted » Wed May 14, 2014 12:44 pm

I understood it was just a windy day. I use to fish offshore allot 20-60 mile out you learn to read the weather (that's in a 20 foot boat). I mentioned the front because there unpredictable which make them dangerous.

FlatsFisher
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby FlatsFisher » Wed May 14, 2014 9:17 pm

Back during duck season I was faced with a same situation, and ended up calling the GW to come pick up my passengers...they would rather come do that than drag them off the bottom.

That particular stretch of water is always dangerous because there are no protected areas, or calmer waters to cross. Another funny thing about that area is that the wind don't calm down in the evening like other areas. I've been down here for 10 years, and still can't adapt to the freakin wind always blowing!

Gangreen
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Gangreen » Wed May 14, 2014 9:45 pm

I once crossed West Lake ( sleeping tiger ) with a 10'9" airboat and ran into 4 foot waves. Had my lesson. Surf baby surf.

540 mountain motor
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby 540 mountain motor » Fri May 16, 2014 10:15 pm

I crossed Aransas bay all the way from St Joe to Goose Island one day when A strong front hit. I had a group of guys and we were nailing the reds sight casting in the marsh on the island when this gust from the north slammed my face while wading. Quickly gusts over 30 mph. I loaded everyone up and headed dead on and kept my eyes on my transom/wash area the whole time. Had to stab the BBC several times to keep her on top. Very nervous!!! Made it to ramp and spoke with a guide friend of mine and he told me I was crazy crossing in that mess. Had rolling 3-4 footers for over 20 minutes. Glad to put the AB on the trailer and drove to car wash to clean boat and my pants :cheers:
18x8 GTO Saltwater Series, 540 MAS/PFI, 82 SW with Stinger 2.55, "540 RAT-N-A-CAGE"

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:14 am

540 mountain motor wrote:I crossed Aransas bay all the way from St Joe to Goose Island one day when A strong front hit. I had a group of guys and we were nailing the reds sight casting in the marsh on the island when this gust from the north slammed my face while wading. Quickly gusts over 30 mph. I loaded everyone up and headed dead on and kept my eyes on my transom/wash area the whole time. Had to stab the BBC several times to keep her on top. Very nervous!!! Made it to ramp and spoke with a guide friend of mine and he told me I was crazy crossing in that mess. Had rolling 3-4 footers for over 20 minutes. Glad to put the AB on the trailer and drove to car wash to clean boat and my pants :cheers:

That is a scary situation!

cummins diesel power
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cummins diesel power » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:53 pm

boy howdy, I sure wouldn want to be in that situation
15x7 1974 airgator,500 cadillac dd,74" q series sensenich prop, 1/2" uhmw poly.
18x8 2001 panther, 502 chevy, 2 to 1 century,3 blade 78" stump puller, 1/2" poly

mascara
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby mascara » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:42 pm

aggiejim wrote:so we get up at 7:00 weather report ses 10 mph winds all day cool so we filler up and head for a long ride for red fish a long way back in a barrier island so away we go way in, around 1 the wind really picks up to 25 gusting to35 problem was we crossed the lilly ann channel deep water a half mile of 25 foot deep water waves rolling 3 to 4 feet we had to cross (running low on beer) got passengers in the bottom of boat and picked a big wave and went surfing the wind was blowing so hard that the boat listed with the wind scared the hell out of me wanted to kiss that sbc had we even slowed we would have taken on water bad yall can laugh at my rake but it saved my a** new respect for something as simple as a little wind another _rookie lesson learned :dontknow: on the bright side the reds were huge all in the 30 inch range

Hi,

Sounds exactly like the predicament we have in Singapore, wind and waves are here all day, everyday, ......thanks for sharing, question is what is the SOP when you are caught in a situation like that?

Experts please comment, it sure helps.......

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby AirRanger » Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:52 am

mascara wrote:
aggiejim wrote:so we get up at 7:00 weather report ses 10 mph winds all day cool so we filler up and head for a long ride for red fish a long way back in a barrier island so away we go way in, around 1 the wind really picks up to 25 gusting to35 problem was we crossed the lilly ann channel deep water a half mile of 25 foot deep water waves rolling 3 to 4 feet we had to cross (running low on beer) got passengers in the bottom of boat and picked a big wave and went surfing the wind was blowing so hard that the boat listed with the wind scared the hell out of me wanted to kiss that sbc had we even slowed we would have taken on water bad yall can laugh at my rake but it saved my a** new respect for something as simple as a little wind another _rookie lesson learned :dontknow: on the bright side the reds were huge all in the 30 inch range

Hi,

Sounds exactly like the predicament we have in Singapore, wind and waves are here all day, everyday, ......thanks for sharing, question is what is the SOP when you are caught in a situation like that?
Experts please comment, it sure helps.......

Not an expert but if those conditions are constant as you explained, you use a sufficient boat that is suited for those conditons if you must venture into them. No nesessarily an airboat. No magic trick to being safe if using the wrong tool for the job.

Capt.Legg
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Capt.Legg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:48 pm

I know this thread has been dead a while but I just now read it and feel like I have to respond for future readers safety in a situation like this. I have years of experience with situations like you are talking about down here at the Texas coast and have found myself smack dab in the same torrent in the same Liddy Ann Chanel as well as the Shrimp Boat Chanel that runs from Conn Brown to the Jettys. Any channel can turn into a washing machine of 4 foot rollers if the conditions are right. Someone suggested wait till the wind subsides next time instead of putting yourself in that situation. The wind may not subside for 3 days down here. I completely agree with waiting the comditions out EXCEPT that the condition you found your self in was notjust high wind waves, it was most likely wind pushing against a falling or rising tide that was ripping down the channel. Any of the larger channels close to a gulf inlet will develop this condition. For instance, the shrimp boat chanel runs Northwest to Southeast. If you have a strong on shore flow (South East Wind) all day the next time the tide begins to fall hard it will roll up to three footers in the center of the channel.This condition will typically last a couple hours and die down as soon as the tide goes slack. Though you may still have wind waves is won't be the knarly toghtly stacked deep rollers. Next time you get ready to cross and see this condition don't press your luck. Go back onto San Jose and catch and release a few more reads or just set there in the dark waiting but don't risk it. Even after 30 years of handling boats I swamped an 18' metal center console jet drive boat in the same conditions and brother I am hear to tell you it happens in an instant. If you don't have a life vest on you wont last long in that current when the wind and tide are battling each other. Count yourself lucky and don't press your luck again.

rost495
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby rost495 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:56 am

We were out when a strong norther came in some years ago. We knew it was coming. And we were still safe. Shallow water except for the intracoastal portion.

The problem is it came in stronger than I thought. And I'd never driven in wind like that. Could not control the boat in turns at all at times. I did a couple of 180s trying to turn into guts...

Went by the coast guard and found the gale flag out. Sustained at 41 mph to 42 mph plus gusts we found later.

Of course the duck hunting was out of this world in the process. But I realized I was running max rpms and had no reserve to speak of.

As to waiting it out, we carry a SPOT, a couple of cell phones, including the coast guard POC number. ANd in my dry boxes I have gear.. including tarps, reflective ones, sleeping bags, fire starters and such, so one COULD stay out.

One thing though with bad weather, always leave with a full fuel tank, and I won't run areas that I can't get out of, even if the long way, without a fair amount of protection.

On crab trap clean up last saturday it was funny to see small whitecaps in 3-6 inches of water... the wind picked up and was fairly strong, of course we could and did run the shoreline shallows all the way back to the ramp.

BTW due to being a volunteer first responder for 2 organizations, and seeing the worst of the worst, I wont' set foot on teh boat without a vest on. Even at a boat ramp if its deep and you slip and hit your head... olympic swimmer can drown.

Now getting into the boat ramp at Froggys with no reverse and all kinds of winds and tides and currents and having to let off the gas... damn thats more dangerous for me, than about anything else... more than a few dents in the boat to prove it... I hate that ramp mostly , with a passion, especially without a north wind...

Return to “Texas Airboaters”