Airboaters need to read

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Airboaters need to read

Post by wal1809 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:42 am

Especially newbies such as myself.

I had some bad luck this weekend so far as boats. To save the long version I will explain the airboat and why it failed. In the early part of the season I dragged the boat out to clean it up and prepare it for the season. As I got it fired up I noticed dirt dauber nests falling from under the engine and gear reduction unit. I specifically remember pulling a dauber's nest off of the belt itself.

Fast forward to this weekend. The belt took a dump and I had to be towed in
(After 4 grown arse men wore ousrselves to a nub getting the boat out of the marsh and into the bay. I called Lone Star Boatworks and he asked if I knew why the belt broke. In doing so he explained there is ZERO tolerance for anything between the belt the pulley. He made it clear the tolerance number is .00000000 as in ZERO, nothing, nada, zip. He then mentioned dirt daubers and it hit me like a brick. I knew right then why that boat came apart.

So my fix to the dirt dauber problem will be a couple 5 foot pieces of 3/4 PVC with a 90 degree elbow with a foot long piece sticking up from that elbow. That 1 foot piece will have numerous holes drilled in it. I will fill that 1 foot piece with moth balls. When in storage I will stick that pvc up into the gear reduction unit and leave it. One on both sides should do it.

I had no idea a freakin bug could destroy a boat!!!!!

BOONSNAPPER
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Airboaters need to read

Post by BOONSNAPPER » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:58 pm

It would be safe to say that an ant will be the ruler of ended civilations......

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Post by wal1809 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:24 am

I am pretty sure you are correct.

Bdriller
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bdriller » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:03 am

I have seen this in person, i use moths balls in my rv and they work!!

Return to “Texas Airboaters”