Please chime in airboat people

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Please chime in airboat people

Postby wal1809 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:22 pm

Avoiding a long story about how and what situation I am in in, I will get right to it. $1000 belt change is not something I can afford right now. I have decided to change the belt myself and save the $700 to $800 in labor costs.

I have a 496 Levitator pushing a century CH-3 2-1 gear reduction. It drives counter rotating propellers.

Please start chiming in anything you think I should know before I bite off this big of a project.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Please chime in airboat people

Postby akblackdawg » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:31 pm

its really not that tough a job if you have a little mechanical experience. go to century website, they have posted detailed information on the procedure. i've done it alone by suspending the case to help control it, but most prefer to have a helper when doing it. i think removing the rudders makes it easier to work around that area, but i have done it with the rudders on the boat also. good luck and chime in when you have specific questions about it.

opps, just noticed you have counter rotator, never dont a CR, but i think just more reason to have a helper due to more weight involved.
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:36 pm

I was wondering why the blades have to come off? If I can run a come along to strap wrapped around the prop shaft, couldn't I suspend the whole guts, shaft and props from that set up? Once suspended, slide it all back enough to replace the belt, then slide it all back in?

goldhunter_2
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby goldhunter_2 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:10 pm

wal1809 wrote:I was wondering why the blades have to come off?

whats the diameter of your prop ,now whats the diameter of your belt :roll: Now considering your prop is one of the three most expensive parts of your airboat so whats it going cost when you damage it and have to mail the whole thing in to get repaired and re-balanced :dontknow:

Changing the belt is something you can do yourself like anything else on a airboat, but you should have a helper in this case preferable someone more experienced and remember that is a good bit of weight even if hoisting keep it in mind. The process is time/labor intensive that is what your paying for when you take it to someone their time.

Support our future , get a kid involved in the outdoors!!

:rebel:

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:47 am

I am in it now. I can see taking off the blades was the right thing to do thank you for the information.

Here is where I am. Impact sockets will not fit in the holes to take the 3\4 hex bolts out. A regular socket fits very tight. I am trying to avoid taking those hubs off.

Please watch this video and direct me. If I am correct in guessing, the hub only need comeback far enough to slip the new belt behind the pulley while inside the housing, correct? Thank you.

https://youtu.be/8QNQonIHSzE
Last edited by wal1809 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby mcm4 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:28 am

Have you called Century? they are the most customer service friendly patient companies I have ever dealt with, they will step by step walk you through it, they have done it for me over and over.... Never impatient...

mcm4
Site Supporter - VII
Site Supporter - VII

Postby mcm4 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:30 am

and if you don't want to wait until monday, call marshal miller, crow hater... he can walk you through it in his sleep...

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:58 am

I called them Saturday and a machinist and were the telephone. He was unable to help. I have no problem going slow and I will call them tomorrow to order the belt.

Crow hater or fan man may I call one of you two?

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:59 am

I called them Saturday and a machinist answered the telephone. He was unable to help. I have no problem going slow and I will call them tomorrow to order the belt.

Crow hater or fan man may I call one of you two? For that matter, anyone who knows, may I call you?

I am at 713 530 9182 my name is Wayne.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Postby newoldglory » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:47 pm

406 JAMIE wrote:Take lots of pic and mark with sharpey where everything goes.because where prop mounts to belt that has to go back just like it came out that is ur belt tensioner for ur belt.if im not mistaken.hope this helps.good luck

"if im not mistaken" and a sharpey? Pictures are for people with old timmers disease. Obviously you are one of those cow pokers in Keenansville and we all know what cow pokers do when no one else is around. Why would you waste a man's time with worthless info like that when there are professionals that will guide him in the right direction? Please spend you're time hoeing you're palmettos or picking the berries to help old folks like me to control their prostate instead of handing out a "maybe: to some one that needs professional help. Need another finger? :slap: What else do you do? :toothy7:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GCRedfisher » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:28 pm

I remove the blades only, not the blade hubs, I know it's a counter rotator but other than a beefier oil filled upper unit, I believe everything else is the same. I know Century doesn't have "belt replacement" directions on their website for the CH-3 CR but they do have them for the CH3, it's what I used the first time I ever replaced one and they were real precise and easy to follow. I had no problems at all and did it by myself in an afternoon (after removing rudders and prop blades)
You'll get it figured out I'm sure, I know you have a heavier upper unit but if you can round up a friend to help, it shouldn't be a problem. :thumbleft:
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 21DiamondB » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:32 pm

Shouldn't be any different that the regular beltdrive to change the belt. Your just have a bigger, heaver upper assembly to stab into the housing which is the hardest part of the job. A new stiff belt is tough to replace by yourself because they are usually shipped to you in an egg shape instead of round. I usually get a guy to stand in the rear of the boat and push up on the belt on both sides of the lower pulley as its flush with the lower pulley, while i am stabbing the upper assembly in at a downward angle. Make sure and use baby power on upper pulley. You can also use welding rods once you push the belt up from the bottom to stick through the upper assembly to hold the belt up high, and slowly back them out as you slide the upper assembly in. It takes some playing with the welding rods to be able to get them in the holes that allow the belt to be the most round, if that makes since.
-------- 16.5 x 8 Diamondback - 632ci - Oxbox 2. 55 - Sensenich 5-Blade JX---------

GCRedfisher
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby GCRedfisher » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:32 pm

Well? What's the verdict? You get it figured out?
Been There, Done That and Probably Broke It! If You Ain't Living On The Edge, Your Just Taking Up Space!

Whoever said "The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword" never encountered automatic weapons!

rdb
Southern Airboat Member

Postby rdb » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Getting the upper pulley back in is not that bad, it is getting the upper pulley flush is the big deal. At least it was for me. Just had to have patience and once you get the lip to fit it falls right in. Don't know how much heavier the CR is but don't try shortcuts it will just add more time in the long run with little advantage.
Good Luck

21DiamondB
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 21DiamondB » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:36 pm

The upper assembly is one of those things that can either happen right away the first time, or you can sit there and fight it for an hour. When you get it worked in you have to immediately put force behind it to get it to seat to the rear and put one of the top bolts in to hold it all at the same time. If you get it in and let it fall down to the bottom, it is a real pain to get it pushed back up. Just like if you go to tighten the belt after it has been assembled, make sure and put pressure on the hub towards the engine when you turn the upper assembling with a big crescent wrench. Without the pressure, it will fall down and you are back to square one at getting it seated again.
-------- 16.5 x 8 Diamondback - 632ci - Oxbox 2. 55 - Sensenich 5-Blade JX---------

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:52 am

GCRedfisher wrote:Well? What's the verdict? You get it figured out?

Yessir, I got the belt on the way and it should be here by Friday. I tore everything down to the last thing, seven bolts to take off the reduction unit itself. I read somewhere the eccentric gear gear and shafts assembly weighed 65 pounds. Bull-freakin-Malarkey!!!! That sucker is well over 100 pounds if it is a pound. I had some big foam blocks on the floor of the boat. Fortunately because all I did was slow that sucker down on its way down. I reckon be it counter rotating there was a lot more metal than anticipated.

I talked to some that say don't pull the bearing and just slip the belt between the flywheel and connector plate after removing the 6 bolts between the two. Century said pull the bearing shaft, leave the lower shaft bolted to the flywheel and remove the reduction houseing, put the belt back on and go right back on with the housing.

I like the idea of slipping the belt between the housing and the fly wheel. Although I have already pulled the bearing.

wal1809
Southern Airboat Member

Postby wal1809 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:45 am

I have to say this as well. I had fanman and Ricky call me and I just saw a PM offering more help as well. That is pretty kewl people helping people with a common interest in airboats. Thank you guys.

Return to “Texas Airboaters”