Everglades Youth Camp- Thank You

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
Florida Cracker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Everglades Youth Camp- Thank You

Post by Florida Cracker » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:08 pm

Hi, I'm Lydia Moore and I just wanted to thank Southern Airboat for sponsoring me to be a camp councelor at the Everglades Youth Conservation Camp this summer. It was definatly the highlight of my summer and I even got to go back for a third week free of charge! I had a wonderful time and plan to go back next year, thanks again. I would also like to thank you for the hat and shirt you sent.

Geneva0550
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Re: Everglades Youth Camp- Thank You

Post by Geneva0550 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:08 pm

Glad to hear you had a great experience at the youth camp Lydia. My 8 yr old son Drake and his best friend were sponsered by the broward airboat club this year.It was his first year as a trail blazer.He is also looking forward to going back again next year.
What do you mean the waters low and it's too dry?...You got an airboat!...ACT LIKE IT!!!!

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:13 pm

Glad to hear of these young Southern Airboaters enjoyment of the Youth Camp Experience.

This idea of Southern Airboater's sending kids to the Everglades Youth Camp was Basketcases' idea.

Southern Airboaters have been sending kids there every summer ever since.

I think it's awesome, and it's one more thing you get by sending in Site Support Money to Rick.

Just thought I'd metion it, 'cause some folks around here are new, and may not realize what this is all about.

Southern Airboaters kick butt. :thumbup:

CaneFan
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by CaneFan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:35 pm

Let me help you a little bit bro. It was Basketcase (Jeff Patterson of the KRVSA) who first floated the idea of SA sponsoring kids at the EYC. It was a good idea then and a great idea to keep it going. I know Rick is always looking for children for SA to sponsor so nominate a child now for next summers session.
"You've gotta be tuff if your gonna be stupid."-Cowboy
"A lazy man will work himself to death."-Grandpa Symons

bwright
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Post by bwright » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:23 pm

I'd like to add to that :arrow: there was a lot of children who enjoyed EYC thanks to sportsmen's who sponsored children that participation in the 2009 camping summer camp session , off the top of my head BCAH club sponsored 15, PBAH club sponsored 10, and FSCA club sponsored 2. I'm sure there are others that I don't even know about but thanks to all of them and SA for supporting the Everglades Youth Camp.

This is a wonderful place that a lot of people don't even know about (which might be a good thing) take time to find it and check it out I promise you'll love it. Somewhere around 800 children visit this place every year. :wink: It is awesome to see the children enjoying Mother Nature and everything she has to offer and hopefully we can keep it as traditional as possible

:D Glad enjoyed it Lydia and thanks for sharing it with us
Palm Beach open hull, full grass rake, conduit rigging, up stack I0540, swinging A Q series 72', single rudder / old school

"You have enemies? Good. That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life"

Winston Churchill.

Florida Cracker
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Florida Cracker » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:34 pm

This is John.

I too, would like to than Rick and Southernairboat.com for sponsoring Lyd this summer at camp. It was tremendous help to know that her fee would be covered. She had an incredible time. What she didn't tell you was the she got ill between sessions and was unable to return for her second week. When we contacted staff to advise of her illness they said it might be possible for her to come for one of the two remaining weeks left, after she recovered. The camp did in fact have room for Lyd and she returned to complete her second week. When my wife went to pick her up, she was asked if Lydia could return for the final week of camp, at no charge! Lydia has made some wonderful friends this summer and learned the value of helping/serving others as a junior counselor.

Rick, if you can pm your address, I can send you a receipt.

cowboy
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by cowboy » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:36 am

10-4 Bishop!

Thanks for posting out on all the Other Sportsmen Organizations who sent all these kids to the Youth Camp!

That Place is Awesome!
It's a Super Legacy that the Hard Core Florida Hunters and Conservation Groups put together.

Glad to know that all those Organization sent that many Kids!

It's Bigtime!

JSTORMS
Site Supporter - VI
Site Supporter - VI

Post by JSTORMS » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:42 am

This is where some of the money goes when the clubs raffle off an airboat, atv or anything else that is intended to make funds for the club. Some people walk up to the raffle item and say they already have one or they never win, but the big picture is that by buying a raffle ticket or even just joining the local club, you are supporting their effort to keep people interested in our heritage. The Broward Club is also sponsoring 5 women to attend the BOW program that is being put on by the FWC in the Corbett Area in October. So it's not just getting kids back in the woods, but also letting women enjoy what the woods have to offer. I encourage the other clubs to offer this up to the women they know because in this day and time, the lack of funds for them to enjoy this does have a large bearing on them going.And let's face it, some of our wives would rather say they weren't interested in doing something that try to have us teach them how to do it. More info is available at myfwc.com.
Take your kid hunting instead of hunting for your kid.
Support the Youth Hunting Program of Florida

JLP3314
Southern Airboat Member

Post by JLP3314 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:11 pm

I sure pray this is being supported still guys!
Without the next generation behind us who will steward or be sure folks can go to the woods.
Don't waste your time-its the only thing you can't get back, (Cntry141IQ/John had another thousand of these before he went sliding into the sky). :-(

Deez two
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Deez two » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:31 pm

EYC is an amazing place!!!!! I went there for a couple years
"ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAHE CARE OF HIM BETTER TAKE A CLOSE LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN" - HENRY FORD

LoxStroker383
Southern Airboat Member

Post by LoxStroker383 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:45 am

I went there as a youngin probably 11 years old. Best time of my summer! back in 1991. Still have memories from the time there. I got awards for archery and .22 rifle.
14x8 Diamondback, 383 Stroker, 2.38 OxBox, 80" 3 Blade NGR

flcracker9
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by flcracker9 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:47 am

I'm showing my age, but I went there in 1971 & 1972, still have a newspaper article at home that the Palm Beach Times did (Palm Beach Post now), with my picture as a buzz head 11 year old. Had a blast there. We sent my Son there in the late 1990s, he had a blast there also. Great memories!
12' Open Palm Beach, IO-0470-L 260hp, 72" NGQ

Archer
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Archer » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:31 pm

Wow flcracker9, was gonna try and show up LoxStroker383 and tell him I was there in summer of 82, you got us all beat. Very cool.
Big thumbs up to all who help sponsor these kids.

Return to “Airboat Talk”