What prop for my 180 Lycoming??

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
shiggs
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: What prop for my 180 Lycoming??

Postby shiggs » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:58 pm

CR,

Were your "wing-tips" flying too close to the transom? Sounds like you got it moved forward enough to test her out. Glad you are pleased with the results!! Try it at a pitch setting close to what Plum suggested and see what she does.

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:18 pm

i would say on the water 2950 2850 on the trailer which was on the 2 mark on my speed 4 banger, with a mediun water walker hub

plumcrazy
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby plumcrazy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:23 pm

shiggs wrote:CR,

Were your "wing-tips" flying too close to the transom? Sounds like you got it moved forward enough to test her out. Glad you are pleased with the results!! Try it at a pitch setting close to what Plum suggested and see what she does.

these props lean forward of the hub to compensate the winglets 8)

CULTURED REDNECK
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby CULTURED REDNECK » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:36 pm

Yep, the "winglets" were too close. The more pitch put in it, the worse it got... So I just hammered the whole shooting match (rigging and engine stand) forward with a big rubber mallet and drilled eight more holes in my boat. No big deal. In fact on my test run, I never touched the trim tab and the boat was empty. It usually porpus's when I dont have a load up front. Amazing what a difference 1" of adjustment can make. I'll try taking some pitch out and see how it pushes with some more RPM's. But I sure do like the low end PUSH these blades give me when It is set on the number 3 mark!!! The boat accelerates on the sand bars like never before. I have to slow it down on the ground because it gets too bumpy. I have never experienced that problem before... Now I gotta find some hills to climb for a photo op.
I may have to change the name of my boat from "OLD BLEW" to "GROUND HOG"...

shiggs
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby shiggs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:15 pm

Sweet!!--Now that is one heck of a good report. :cheers: :toothy7: I glad to see the good results!

CULTURED REDNECK
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby CULTURED REDNECK » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:58 pm

What a great day at the office!!! I had my custom spacer shim water jetted out of brass and stainless, they turned out nice...

Also, in my quest for more horse power that will enable my 4-banger to spin that new prop 2900rpm on mark #3; I have recieved some brand new ignition wires. (the ones on the motor now light up like a christmas tree when I run it in the dark) And a fresh Mag...

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”