Buliding sbc little help

Post by Stephen09 »

How should I spec the motor out

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Buliding sbc little help

Post by crowhater »

What do you mean? If you are asking what you should build I would say stoke it to the moon! Call Ohio crank shaft and buy the biggest stroker kit you can fit in the block. Ci makes torque and the more stroke you have the more CI which means more torque.
18x8 Alum, 496 BBC, 2.6 CH4, 4B 82" S-blades

Stephen09
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Stephen09 »

I'm going to be running it dd still stroke it

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

Stephen09 wrote:I'm going to be running it dd still stroke it

even more so if it is a DD engine. Strokers make big torque down low and that is what you need. A standad 350 is pretty enemic. All the race parts in the world will not help much because you are limited to 3000rpm max. in the 0-3000rpm range you will see no advantage from high dollar heads, intake and carb.

Stephen09
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Stephen09 »

Thanks man

crowhater
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by crowhater »

check out this link, this is how you get the most bang for the buck.

http://www.ohiocrank.com/chevsb_rotate.html

todd glover
Southern Airboat Member

Post by todd glover »

Find an engine builder someone who knows what they are doing not Joe blow and machine shop and she'll run call comp cams tell them what your doing ask lots of questions Before you move an inch and you'll be ok

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

I HAVE ONE I JUST BUILT ID SELL IT :D IF THE $$ WAS RITE NO JUST KIDDING ITS FOR MY NEW BOAT BUT YEA A GOOD CRATE MOTOR WITH A CAM AND ECT OR IF U HAVE IT TO SPEND AND IF U BUILD IT U SHOULD STROKE IT NO DOUBT 383 388 ECTECT CANT GO WRONG :old_glory:
MINE HAS HOWARDS CAM PROBE PISTONS K 1 ROD 750 HOLLEY 2" PHENOL. SPACER 1.6 ROKERS BEE HIVE SPRINGS PERFORM.RPM INTAKE ECTECT HAVENT DYNOED IT BUT SHOULD BE THE 400#'S AND TORQUE WELL IF I HAD TO GUESS ID STILL SAY WHO KNOWS UNTIL I GET REAL NUMBERS IT DONT MAKE A DAMN WHAT IT HAS ILL NEVER NO ...UNTIL I DYNO IT IF IT MOVES OUT OF ITS SHADOW ILL BE DONING GOOD :lol:
Attachments
james 350 motor.jpg
james 350 motor.jpg (52.38 KiB) Viewed 1232 times
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

JAMES
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by JAMES »

gyrocopter582 wrote:Since you guys are discussing cast iron block, siamese head generation SBC's, I will offer my 2 cents.
Of all my SBC engine builds, the strongest one was a 400ci, .060 over-bore, with an Edelbrock performer
'package', consisting of aluminum closed chamber heads, a matched cam, intake, and a 750cfm carb.
The 'top end' is dyno tested, and proven, by experienced people. The data claimed 400hp, when used with
350ci displacement. My engine displaced 406ci. The point is, sometimes it is cheaper to buy proven
components, than to endure the 'learning cure'. 400 SBC's are still around, they came in trucks, and station wagons.
The way to spot one is they only have 2 freeze plugs on the side of the block, instead of three.
The harmonic balancer has a big notch cut out of the outer ring too. Thanks, Mike.
WELL IF THE 400 CRANK IS USED IN A 350 BLK THAT MAKES IT A STROKER SO YEA I WOULD SAY IT WOULD MAKE 400 EASY
https://m.facebook.com/321ccc/?ref=bookmarks Wp383 268 rotator 3 bld WT/EX 14.4 perdator

FishinCoop101
Southern Airboat Member

Post by FishinCoop101 »

No doubt......Stroke the engine if you can afford to the 383 compared to the stock 350 is night and day.....As for the 400 SBC.......Prone to overheating due to thin waterjacket/Cylinder wall design......especially if it is bored.....there are some ways that you can help this issue but it has haunted these blocks since they were designed. If you stroke it you will not be dissapointed. You can build one for less than 2,000 easy with a little common sense and a base 350 engine.

yobee
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by yobee »

FishinCoop101 wrote:You can build one for less than 2,000 easy with a little common sense and a base 350 engine.
That depends on what kind of parts you put in it. I spent more than 2k on just the bottom end putting a good crank and rods in it. Also I spent nearly that having a well qualified machine shop make sure the bottom end went together right. I could have built the engine for a lot less, but I wanted it to last for a long time in an airboat application.
Life is great, without it you'd be dead.
Volusia County Sportsmen's Conservation Association Member
http://lakeokeechobeeairboatassociation.org/
Continental powered Performance hull.

flying fish
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by flying fish »

JAMES wrote:I HAVE ONE I JUST BUILT ID SELL IT :D IF THE $$ WAS RITE NO JUST KIDDING ITS FOR MY NEW BOAT BUT YEA A GOOD CRATE MOTOR WITH A CAM AND ECT OR IF U HAVE IT TO SPEND AND IF U BUILD IT U SHOULD STROKE IT NO DOUBT 383 388 ECTECT CANT GO WRONG :old_glory:
MINE HAS HOWARDS CAM PROBE PISTONS K 1 ROD 750 HOLLEY 2" PHENOL. SPACER 1.6 ROKERS BEE HIVE SPRINGS PERFORM.RPM INTAKE ECTECT HAVENT DYNOED IT BUT SHOULD BE THE 400#'S AND TORQUE WELL IF I HAD TO GUESS ID STILL SAY WHO KNOWS UNTIL I GET REAL NUMBERS IT DONT MAKE A DAMN WHAT IT HAS ILL NEVER NO ...UNTIL I DYNO IT IF IT MOVES OUT OF ITS SHADOW ILL BE DONING GOOD :lol:

James. Looking good.

Why the 2" phenolic spacer?
What cylinder head you running?
She sure out to do way better than get out of her own way. :)
15' DB - 6.2 LSA - 4 blade 82" R - 2.52 CH-4

Return to “Automotive Power Only”