Ground Wire Burning Up

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Ground Wire Burning Up

Post by khvann40 »

Looking for a little help from the automotive pros on here. So... Sunk the boat this weekend for the first time almost too proud to admit it hence the delay in post seeing as I sunk it on Friday evening and just now posting... but have run into an issue now and need help. Motor was only under water for about 5 mins. Drove into a cove and went to turn around and made the deadly mistake of turning left into the wake w a 13'6 boat and backwash caught up with me tried to gas out but was too late. Over she went in about 3 foot of water. Had 3 big guys on the boat in excess of 700 lbs so didn't help the situation until I needed them to help me turn the boat over and push to shore. Now that you know the story here is what I have done so far. Drained all fluids and refilled with cheap oil mixed w SeaFoam as well as in the fuel as well. Pulled all the plugs and turned over engine manually to try and flush moisture out as much as possible. Took the carb off drained and cleaned it up not much moisture in the intake manifold when I took carb off. Replaced ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor and module bc that probably needed to be done before I even sunk the boat. Went to crank this afternoon and ground wire shredded. Read many posts from all over and overwhelming consensus was the starter was bad. So changed starter and still same problem. It hasn't burnt up again but I haven't kept the starter going for that long bc every time I hit the starter I can see the electrons go through the ground wire and the wire from the battery to the starter and hear the wires start to crackle. I'm at a loss for words as to what to do next. I was planning on changing all of my battery wires and connections next in case of corrosion. Its definitely shorting out somewhere and sending everything to that ground wire but just not sure where. The engine isnt seized up bc I can turn the motor by hand by the prop but when I hit the starter it turns very very slowly and only a little at a time. If anyone else has experienced this or has any info on what to try next please feel free. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Keegan

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Ground Wire Burning Up

Post by Whitebear »

Disconnect all the wires except the starter, then use a wrench or screwdriver to kick the solenoid and see if your still getting the same thing. I might be some wires got cut or crushed in the roll over you described. Its obvious that with the new starter it isn't the starter, assuming its the right starter.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

Definitely not the starter its a good starter off another 350 that I have. Just tried a new battery and does the same thing. Wondering now if it's my battery selector that has shorted out. About to take connectors off of that and run directly.

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by Whitebear »

Yeh get ya a strait run from battery to starter and try it.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

Alright not the battery selector either... Beginning to think I just need to redo all my connectors on all the cables

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

In my dash I have a fuse block for all my gauges, ignitions, lights, etc... I haven't tried changing all the fuses yet and can see some of them have moisture in them particularly the ignition fuse. Guess I'll try changing these next. None of my lights, are working either which I did not expect them to but bilge pump worked when we pulled boat out to get water out but now won't work...

Comanche-pup
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Ground Wire Burning Up

Post by Comanche-pup »

khvann40 wrote:Alright not the battery selector either... Beginning to think I just need to redo all my connectors on all the cables
it's not shorting it opposite, you have a bad connection, probably where your cable is bonded to the connector on the battery, where ever the cable is getting the hottest is where you bad connection is at

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

Good tip. Thx for the help. Will try in the morning.

K-mac
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by K-mac »

Take a set of jumper cables, and hook from the neg. battery post, to the starter
housing,or engine block then hook the other jumper from the jumper clamp on the first cable at each
end. try to start your engine, if it seems to do OK, change your ground cable.
PS. use a heaveir cable if this is the case, I've seen many boats with way too
small battery cables on them. :rebel:
If the south would'a won we'da had it made!

air-roberts
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by air-roberts »

definitely bad continuity somewhere check all connections and disconnect one at a time to isolate problem
Air-RobertsImage
experimenting with old step w/t experimental 384.8 c.i. nos 2.68 rotator, 80" three bld ? R
http://www.bcraceengineering.com
Thanks to dave http://waterthunder.com/
New & Used PROPs
WhirlWind prop dealer

gso480jr
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gso480jr »

Check starter circuit amperage draw when activating starter. Trapped water in a harness is a good conductor for electricity, in some cases can find open spot on wire and cause extreme draw.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

K-Mac I guess if I do this I need to hook a push button ignition up directly to the starter is that correct?

gblack15
Southern Airboat Member

Post by gblack15 »

Sounds like you are on to the problem. I would check the ground connections all the way to the battery. If you are grounded to the cage or stand you need to check and clean those connections. K-Mack has a good idea with the parallel ground cable.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

I have all of my grounds connected into a negative bus strap right by the battery and then a single negative cable coming off of that to the negative battery post. Also my ground wire is an 8 gauge wire should it be larger like 2 or 4? Keep in mind it worked fine like this b4 the sinking.

PM
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by PM »

If you are using 8 gauge for your ground it is too lite. I am running 4.
15' Rivermaster (Hoffman)

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Yould be surprised at how fast cables and wiring degrades while under water and the battery is still hooked up. Go get some new welding cable and terminals to replace all of the cables, you may want to go ahead and replace all switches as well as wiring, due to the rapid electrolysis that occurs in these situations. I personally would do a simple hot wire job to get the engine running and to temperature ASAP.
I never finish anyth,,,.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

How do I hook up the push button ignition directly to my starter? One terminal to the starter ignition lead and the other directly to the battery?

glades cat
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by glades cat »

If the wire heated up, it's done.
Change it.
Don't guess on wire gauge or skimp on connector quality.
Here's a chart, or google it.
http://www.skytecair.com/Wire.htm
"Leave a legacy...Preserve the irreplaceable"
12' x 7' sled built by Scorpion, Cont. O-470-K, 72" Whisper Tip
Rigged by Gladescat & sons in 2009

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

khvann40 wrote:How do I hook up the push button ignition directly to my starter? One terminal to the starter ignition lead and the other directly to the battery?
Simply hook a lead to the batt lug where the cable hooks then through switch to the solenoid excite lead, you can run a switch off of the batt lead to the coil to get it running.
I never finish anyth,,,.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

So starting to worry a little bc I can't get this thing turned over...hooked it up directly from battery to starter and when I hit switch starter clicks and makes humming noise. I can keep hitting switch and moves prop about 1/4" and then hums... Any ideas?

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Replace all cables?
I never finish anyth,,,.

Cutler
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Cutler »

If you are hooking direct from battery to starter you wouldn't even be going through the switch

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Pretty sure he is referring to ignition switch/start switch. I hope to hear he replaced both positive and negative cables and hotwired this thing to life. Need to get that thing to operating temp soon!
I never finish anyth,,,.

khvann40
Southern Airboat Member

Post by khvann40 »

Ok...so here is where I'm at. Hard wired the starter and went to crank and just click, click every time I push the ignition switch. Prop moves about 1/4" at a time. So started over from the beginning. Removed spark plugs and turned over manually to make sure no water was still in motor. Was a little stiff at first but after a few rotations of the prop now turns very easily. Used starter to then rotate faster and still turns very easy. Put plugs back into motor and back to where we were at. Starter won't turn the motor over and very hard to manually turn over by hand. Took valve covers off to inspect rockers and valves and everything seems to be working fine w plugs out but as soon as I put the plugs back in she binds up and won't turn... I'm stuck have no clue from here

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Post by John Fenner »

Battery cables have high resistance and won't deliver the amperage needed and need to replace them.
I never finish anyth,,,.

Return to “Airboat Tech”