Two Cold Weather Questions:

A general, non-powerplant specific, discussion on airboat technology, ie., hulls, rigging, polymer, etc..
mscott
Southern Airboat Member

Two Cold Weather Questions:

Post by mscott » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:41 pm

6am. 28 Degrees. Ready for some duckhunting and at the boatramp with a 220 Cont. GPU. Problem #1. Primerbulbs are not squeezable at 28 degrees. (My Fix: I cranked motor until gas was finally fed into carb at top of engine. Then it fired, barely) Problem #2. Don't let go of the boatramp in the dark with foggy conditions until you make sure your rudder cable isn't frozen and working properly. Thank goodness the wind blew us back in to shore. (My Fix: Half my Coffee Thermos was poured onto cable. Cable then worked, but outta coffee for my duck hunt!)

I am looking for solutions, other than the one's I came up with at a moments notice, to help with this. Its only going to get colder and besides banking on these two things happening again, that 100 Shell Oil is some thick stuff at sub-freezing temps!

Does anyone carry portable butane heaters, torches (Not for primer bulb :angryfire:) on board. Are there safe and affordable heating systems for crank case etc. Fuel pumps that don't require primer bulbs?? Am I looking at having to cross over to the, "Dark Side", and think about a car motor for these cold and wintery situations?? I would think an aircraft type engine would flurish in sub zero conditions. That's what they were designed to run in. Thanks!

Whitebear
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: Two Cold Weather Questions:

Post by Whitebear » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:10 pm

Well. Airplanes don't have squeeze bulbs. The low wing planes generally have an electric self priming push pump that is mounted low at near tank level. High wing tanks don't need it obviously.

I have never heard of a bel-crank steering nor a dog leg/crows foot steering freezing. My opinion is that cable steering is just an expensive way to steer a boat. Sure have run a lot of cable steering boats but haven't seen anything particularly grand about them. They generally work until they bind up.

Block heaters are readily available on line and at near any aircraft supply.
Saw them all over Alaska. I think the trick is though they have to be removed before running the engine. The ones I saw plugged into the dip stick hole, then got removed and the dip stick pushed back in, then started. Also saw a lot of forced hot air engine heaters that ran on propane and electric. Never used any of them myself as I had quit flying before I made it to Alaska.
"The Constitution is not so the government can restrain the people, it is so the people can restrain the government." Patrick Henry
The government cannot give anything --
that they have not first taken from someone else.

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:12 pm

on your stearing cable (also throttle cable if difficulity there) you can remove the cable and hang it in a heated area (i use my unfinished basement) and put a small hole in a plastic bag, poke cable end though it and tie off bottom of bag with elect tape or some other tape tight around cable, hang from the bag, put light weight oil in the bag and leave. in a few hours should have oil dripping from the other end of cable, oil will push out the water and you should be good to go. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

Wild Bill
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Wild Bill » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:40 pm

You can get pad oil pan heaters that silicone onto the pan in 12,120 and 240 volt that silicone onto the pan. Wolverineheaters.com is one good source. 120 overnight and many wire 12 volts to the trailer for the drive to the ramp, work great. Multiviscosity oil would help. Electric fuel pump that will draw through if you don't want to run it during operation or there are threads on here how to plumb with others. Lube cable as described above. I have used a hose clamped to the cable, fill hose up with lube and clamp an airline fitting to other end of hose and hit it with air pressure. Pull the cable seals back before installing hose. Bell crank steering..

mscott
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mscott » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:05 pm

Wild Bill wrote:You can get pad oil pan heaters that silicone onto the pan in 12,120 and 240 volt that silicone onto the pan. Wolverineheaters.com is one good source. 120 overnight and many wire 12 volts to the trailer for the drive to the ramp, work great. Multiviscosity oil would help. Electric fuel pump that will draw through if you don't want to run it during operation or there are threads on here how to plumb with others. Lube cable as described above. I have used a hose clamped to the cable, fill hose up with lube and clamp an airline fitting to other end of hose and hit it with air pressure. Pull the cable seals back before installing hose. Bell crank steering..
Thanks for the advice. I did find that the little rubber boots were worked up the cable and not in place to hold out the moisture. I'll hang it and see what comes out.

lbdb1a
Southern Airboat Member

Post by lbdb1a » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:52 pm

Oil pan heater pads..12v and 120v...

Larry
0520 Continental
Attachments
PICT0661 (620x465).jpg
PICT0661 (620x465).jpg (186.45 KiB) Viewed 2138 times

dougeey
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by dougeey » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:20 am

I use anitfeeze on my saltwater boat it won't freeze and it lube it to

aggiejim
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by aggiejim » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:25 am

when in the service we were made to put grafite grease on our firing pins because oil froze overnight just a thought
16 x 8 floral city ls2 6.0 aluminun block 2.3 ch3
can u say addicted
16.5 x8 alumintech new build
6.0 ls2 2.3 ch3 3 blade
the aggie

swamper2
Southern Airboat Member

Post by swamper2 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:46 am

I take a 2 ft piece of 3/4 id rubber hose and slide over the end of the cable and hose clamp it, have reducer fittings on the other end fill the hose with antifreeze and hookup the air fitting with a regulator set about 10 lbs. , install fittings and pressurize. been working ever since also i use shrink tube at the flex joints to help seal out water. I live in MI.
16ft alumitech/406sbc/2.38w/3-80in.R's

mscott
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mscott » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:08 pm

Thanks for the replys! I bought a 150w 4"x5" oil pan heater like Larry has. I do have some hose to work with and that's a good idea. I did pour some RV anti-freeze down the steering cable. That stuff cuts grease like no other. Now to get the Faucet Fuel pump that's free flowing when off. Thanks guys!

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:43 am

I use a magnetic base oil pan heater . Stick it on the pan two or three hours before I go out and it starts right up way below freezing . If you have aluminium pan that wouldn't help much .
For the primer ball I'd look on eBay for something designed for snowmobiles they will stay soft way below freezing .
Hang the cable like Akblackhdawg said to do but use 2 parts 5W30 motor oil mixed with 1 part Varsol or BBQ starter fluid and that cable will not freeze .
I did this when I ice raced motorcycles back in the day and it worked down to -30 . You won't want to be in an airboat when it's that cold .
:canada:
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

akblackdawg
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by akblackdawg » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Be sure and check throttle cable also, it can get moisture in it and freeze up just like the steering cable. Big problem is, it is light and kinks/breaks easily, if you go to start run motor and stomp on the gas, you can easily break cable and be stuck without throttle control. I broke mine this year, so I know from experience, and it was difficult up here to find one the right length, screwed up my plans for a few days. Bud
:alaska: If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up to much space.

15x8 Alumatech hull, with enclosed cab, aluminum cage, LS 3, 6.2 aluminum block ffi, 2.7 Balistic Box, sensinich superwide 3 blade. Built for year around riding in Alaska

grey owl
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by grey owl » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:10 pm

re cold weather:
I run with a fuel pump and a primmer ball, there are some primer balls made specify for cold weather. I don't have a brand name on mine but its good to -10 ish. Expensive I paid almost $30 for it (Canadian). as for the heating, x2 heating pads work great and if power is a problem there is an engine there is a 12 v propane preheater that works great at spruce. RED DRAGON MH300 PREHEATER 12V

mscott
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mscott » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks for all the replys. I hung the rudder cable in the basement like bud suggested and poured oil through it. Then after about 24 hours I poured anti-freeze through it. Its been below 20 degrees for the past 3 days and the rudders still work. :thumbleft: I also bought an oil pan heater and got that installed. I replaced the primer bulb with a facet free flowing fuel pump. I put gator clips on it so when I need to prime the motor I just touch the positive to the battery and it pumps good. I have a primer bulb in my tool kit just in case. Thanks for all of your help!

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:43 am

Im about to install some of those heater pads to my motor too. The high here has been in the 15ish range lately.. Were those pretty easy to install? You don't happen to have any pictures of how you installed yours do you?
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

mscott
Southern Airboat Member

Post by mscott » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:29 pm

GeeLeDouche wrote:Im about to install some of those heater pads to my motor too. The high here has been in the 15ish range lately.. Were those pretty easy to install? You don't happen to have any pictures of how you installed yours do you?
By the time I take a pic and figure out how to upload onto here I can simply tell you. My 220 GPU doesn't have an oil pan that a magnet will stick to. I bought one of those orange heater pads that have self-adhesive on the back. I de-greased/oiled the bottom of my pan and lightly roughed up with some sand paper to get good adhesion. I stuck the patch to the bottom of the pan. I then calked around the edge of the patch so that no moisture will work between the pad and the pan. I velcro stripped the power cord to my engine stand. I just run an extension cord from the garage to the pad cord the night before I take it hunting. Works very well in softening up that oil.

Just remember heat rises so they work best on the very bottom of the pan. I made sure the surface was flat so that there would be no issue of it coming off. Its still on after several trips to and from the river and lake. If, for some reason, it blows loose, the power cord thats velcro'd to the engine stand will save it.

GeeLeDouche
Southern Airboat Member

Post by GeeLeDouche » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:34 am

All good information. Thank you for your insight. :)
16x8 Utah style hull With a Waterthunder motor W/ 2.3 CH3 reduction swinging a 3 blade 78" R.
&
17-51 Legend craft w/pods pushed by a MB HD7000

Bob in Canada
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Bob in Canada » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:49 pm

I'd suggest electrical contact cleaner or lacquer thinner for the final degrease . Can't be too clean when sticking things on .
14x8 Diamondback , 2.38-1 Stinger , 350 GM Marine , Sensenich 3 Blade "R" prop

Return to “Airboat Tech”