Lets borrow a boat and sink it in 2a

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Lets borrow a boat and sink it in 2a

Post by newoldglory » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:09 pm

AND make sure that it is Monday afternoon. "I've driven an air boat before" So lets go sliding in a PB hull with a 0540 and 4 healthy people. This should be fun------all the way to the bottom. Well---at least--- up to the jugs. I got a call from a friend of theirs requesting help that was prepping his boat to go out to them. I did not know that they had dialed 911 and the Broward Fire and Rescue were also on the way out. I found them and loaded them up and on the way in, we met their friend that took them on in. I am not sure which is which but there is a moron and an idiot involved here. :dontknow: Why would any one loan a rather expensive airboat to some one that may have "driven a boat before"? :scratch: The sinker probably doesn't have the money to pay for the recovery , much less the repairs to the boat. And if the owner does not replace EVERY electrical component on the boat, then the next time he goes out, He will break down. But then, maybe he will learn from his experience. One of his passengers gave me the 20 he had on him so that will pay for the gas but what about the Fire Rescue that WE (the tax payers) pay for? :slap: I did not hesitate to go to the rescue because that is what we do in the "Glades". I've needed help in the past and will in the future , although the ones that we help are rarely there to help when we need it. -----We're having fun now!!!!!!!! :cheers:

:proud: :old_glory: :usa: :florida: :rebel:
To open ones eyes, you must let them see!

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

SWAMPHUNTER45
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Re: Lets borrow a boat and sink it in 2a

Post by SWAMPHUNTER45 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:23 pm

Well you got another great story for the history book :P

Ryan82
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ryan82 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Do you have any pictures?

AirRanger
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by AirRanger » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:43 pm

Newoldglory, From about any post I have read either from or about you makes it obvious that you are one of the nicest persons that someone could be. I am surprised at this post from you. All the risk was in the hands of the owner of the boat and the passengers of the boat. Really not for us to dictate who can do what or when. In true fashion you jump to the occasion to be as helpful as possible. Then strangely follow up to complain about it. As far as them calling 911, they may be inexpierienced and scared of what may happen out there. You say "we" pay the taxes for the rescue, true, but so do they. As far as longterm damage to the boat, the boat owner was again willing to gamble and lost. I don't get the feeling that you feel burdoned to help someone in need, I just find it odd that you make a big deal of calling people out after doing it. It has written on SA 1000 times if once that any one can sink an airboat. Sorry if I sound like a d**k. I'm not, thanks for helping a stranger.

Ryan82
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ryan82 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:12 pm

I'm familiar with the boat. Was there really 4 people on board? I don't even know how they would all fit.

Afflicted
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Afflicted » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:14 am

He's sayin don't be a dumbass and he, and I , say AT LEAST OFFER something for the trouble. I wouldn't take a dime for helping but if they don't offer u anything then they ain't worth a damn an should be left..goes back to how folks r raised. I wouldn't leave any1 but I'd remember them if they handled it right, and if they handled it wrong....

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:25 am

AirRanger wrote:Newoldglory, From about any post I have read either from or about you makes it obvious that you are one of the nicest persons that someone could be. I am surprised at this post from you. All the risk was in the hands of the owner of the boat and the passengers of the boat. Really not for us to dictate who can do what or when. In true fashion you jump to the occasion to be as helpful as possible. Then strangely follow up to complain about it. As far as them calling 911, they may be inexpierienced and scared of what may happen out there. You say "we" pay the taxes for the rescue, true, but so do they. As far as longterm damage to the boat, the boat owner was again willing to gamble and lost. I don't get the feeling that you feel burdoned to help someone in need, I just find it odd that you make a big deal of calling people out after doing it. It has written on SA 1000 times if once that any one can sink an airboat. Sorry if I sound like a d**k. I'm not, thanks for helping a stranger.
AirRanger; thank you for you're pro's and con's and compliments about me. As for my ODD "BIG DEAL", I feel that bringing "awareness" to this type of bad judgment (the more times , the better) could possibly get some one to "think before leaping" and possibly save one or more lives. That boat rolling over could have killed some one and I may have had to take in a dead person. So yes, I will continue to "call out" in an effort to save money and lives. I see that you carry a star for S/A, thank you for that also. Gerald.

Remember; sometimes it's better to be thought a fool than to open you're mouth and prove it.

newoldglory
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by newoldglory » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:47 am

Ryan82 wrote:I'm familiar with the boat. Was there really 4 people on board? I don't even know how they would all fit.

They didn't! That's what caused them to roll. THEN, I had 5 people on my similar boat, open hull, very low in the water. :slap:

Ryan82
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Ryan82 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:32 am

Yeah 4 people is a lot on that boat.
Last edited by Ryan82 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:35 am

well newoldglory,
first was the boat yours? if not what the hell is your problem?
second thats what 911 is for.
third it was an emergency they needed help.
what business is it of yours if the owner loaned his boat to someone? did they put your life in danger?
and if you feel that way calling them idiots and moron's DON'T help them...........
I usually don't read your negative post's on here anymore they get old. and sometime's they are ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SOMEONE NEED'D HELP AND YOU GET ON HERE AND BASH THEM REALLY GEROLD.
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:48 am

Actually, scramble, Gerald lives and works in 2A so, yes, to some degree, his life was put in danger by the owner allowing someone with either no knowledge/experience with the type of airboat he was running or complete disregard to his responsibilities of operating an airboat. That being said, there are many things that go on that never make it to the pages of SA or the news. This past weekend, there were some spectacularly bad examples of good judgement that took place in 2A that falls into the categories of moronics and idiocies. Gerald is just trying to get people to think before they act.
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:27 am

FOOL,
the most dangerous thing you can do today is drive an automobile.
I say this because of 35 years experience working with law-enforcement.
now there are quite a few new drivers on the road daily!
the same with air-boats there are new air-boater's daily.
most think that drinking and air-boats go hand in hand. thats the picture being painted today.
stop and think there was a time when you got to drive a boat for the first time.
my first time I thought the thing too do was spin 360's all day.
but 40 years ago you seen another air-boat on the water it was a lot.
your life is in danger just getting in an air-boat.
and absolutely THINK BEFORE YOU ACT!!!!!!!!!!!
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

Duece
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by Duece » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:45 am

This has been a Public Service Announcement from Area 2A airboaters, had this been an actual emergency...

Duece
"Welcome to the Dark Side..."
14'x7'6" Diamondback ZZ4 350/355hp 2.37:1 Stinger gearbox 80" 3 blade NGR series

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:09 am

Duece wrote:This has been a Public Service Announcement from Area 2A airboaters, had this been an actual emergency...

Duece
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
------------YOU GO DUECE-------------
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by digginfool » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:23 am

scrambletown wrote:FOOL,
the most dangerous thing you can do today is drive an automobile.
I say this because of 35 years experience working with law-enforcement.
now there are quite a few new drivers on the road daily!
the same with air-boats there are new air-boater's daily.
most think that drinking and air-boats go hand in hand. thats the picture being painted today.
stop and think there was a time when you got to drive a boat for the first time.
my first time I thought the thing too do was spin 360's all day.
but 40 years ago you seen another air-boat on the water it was a lot.
your life is in danger just getting in an air-boat.
and absolutely THINK BEFORE YOU ACT!!!!!!!!!!!
Point made but my first time operating an airboat didn't include overloading, reckless driving or alcohol. That all came with experience. ;)
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:37 am

We are all adults and live by the choices we each make so buyer beware :D :D :D :D Gerald was in full control of his actions if he did not want to go all he had to say is no or if he felt like he was overloading his boat just wait till more help arrives, 911 is a tool and as I work with numerous law enforcement aviation units never hear the pilots complaining about doing their job heck most that I know do it because they want to dang sure not the money they could make a lot more driving a bus offshore to oil rig :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So poor taste to complain or whine about helping someone and then slam them for calling 911 or being dumb a$$ driver heck we all start out as newbie in any sport. Should left 911 out of his rant JMO :stirpot: He is not a public servant :rebel: :fishing :fishing :fishing stick to frog legs stories and turtles :D :D :D :D :D
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

Full Rut
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Full Rut » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:47 am

Always a DICK in the crowd
Good job glory keep on keeping on
14ft DB 2ft Rake 3/4 Deck Alum. Riggn 502BB 2.37Rota Sens. Fat Daddy

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:47 am

HuntingBigun wrote:We are all adults and live by the choices we each make so buyer beware :D :D :D :D Gerald was in full control of his actions if he did not want to go all he had to say is no or if he felt like he was overloading his boat just wait till more help arrives, 911 is a tool and as I work with numerous law enforcement aviation units never hear the pilots complaining about doing their job heck most that I know do it because they want to dang sure not the money they could make a lot more driving a bus offshore to oil rig :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: So poor taste to complain or whine about helping someone and then slam them for calling 911 or being dumb a$$ driver heck we all start out as newbie in any sport. Should left 911 out of his rant JMO :stirpot: He is not a public servant :rebel: :fishing :fishing :fishing stick to frog legs stories and turtles :D :D :D :D :D
-----------------------------wow--------------------------
BIGUN,,,,,,, well said fire-fighters,police-EMERGENCY personal do NOT DO IT FOR THE MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:05 am

Full Rut wrote:Always a DICK in the crowd
Welcome to SA and not sure who you calling a Dick feel free to use the quote button as most of us on SA will be happy to respond, but your right there was a Dick in the crowd I bet ya we do not agree on who it is so speak up :stirpot: newbie no need to be shy :D :D :D :D :D :D
Bigun

scrambletown
Southern Airboat Member

Post by scrambletown » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:08 am

HuntingBigun wrote:
Welcome to SA and not sure who you calling a Dick feel free to use the quote button as most of us on SA will be happy to respond, but your right there was a Dick in the crowd I bet ya we do not agree on who it is so speak up :stirpot: newbie no need to be shy :D :D :D :D :D :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
damn BIGUN I was thinking the same thing.....
read for life
philippians 4-13
john 3-16
deuteronomy 22-5
leviticus 20-13
luke 6-37

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:23 am

scrambletown wrote:
HuntingBigun wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
damn BIGUN I was thinking the same thing.....

well we all got to start somewhere 7 post wonder calling who a dick :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I be your huckleberry :fishing Dang we start agreeing scrambletown going to get boring on here :D :D :D :D :D
Bigun

Bubba
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by Bubba » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:36 am

newoldglory wrote:
AirRanger wrote:Newoldglory, From about any post I have read either from or about you makes it obvious that you are one of the nicest persons that someone could be. I am surprised at this post from you. All the risk was in the hands of the owner of the boat and the passengers of the boat. Really not for us to dictate who can do what or when. In true fashion you jump to the occasion to be as helpful as possible. Then strangely follow up to complain about it. As far as them calling 911, they may be inexpierienced and scared of what may happen out there. You say "we" pay the taxes for the rescue, true, but so do they. As far as longterm damage to the boat, the boat owner was again willing to gamble and lost. I don't get the feeling that you feel burdoned to help someone in need, I just find it odd that you make a big deal of calling people out after doing it. It has written on SA 1000 times if once that any one can sink an airboat. Sorry if I sound like a d**k. I'm not, thanks for helping a stranger.
AirRanger; thank you for you're pro's and con's and compliments about me. As for my ODD "BIG DEAL", I feel that bringing "awareness" to this type of bad judgment (the more times , the better) could possibly get some one to "think before leaping" and possibly save one or more lives. That boat rolling over could have killed some one and I may have had to take in a dead person. So yes, I will continue to "call out" in an effort to save money and lives. I see that you carry a star for S/A, thank you for that also. Gerald.
The story reminds me of poor judgement in taking a airboat out frogging and riding with no alternator and junk starters then being suprised when you cant get back in and asking and begging for help lol. Talk about bad judgement! We all make mistakes and do stupid things, what makes it better are the ones who chose to learn from it.
FLIRTIN WITH DISASTER

pierson skunkape
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Post by pierson skunkape » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:49 am

DAMMIT MAN.....the gentleman was simply trying to explain an experience, in great detail, and hopefully if anyone was listening with an OPEN mind, they might actually learn something.... there are soooooo many lessons to be learned by Old Glory's story and as an avid slider can name a few but most should already understand.....Whoever said the entire weight is on the boat owner... Oh :shock: :shock was it the boat owner who came out and got their ass's out of the water... NO someone else did... guess he was in no danger eh....you guys rippped through every word that Gerald wrote like some University English professor.... AS for Wyatt Erp the ex. 35 year LEO... settle down dude... get those meds your on adjusted and hope like hell that your never down in 2A with a problem.......AS for me... Im looking foreward to the day when I can drag my beater to the glades, and ride that wonderful area while we still can.. and im damn sure gonna park on that grass slope in front of Ol' Glory and have a handful of frog legs with the G-Man.......Keep stickin' them frogs and getting them (common sense challenged) folks back to the ramp safe.... :salute: :florida: :occasion5: :rebel:

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:00 pm

pierson skunkape wrote:DAMMIT MAN.....the gentleman was simply trying to explain an experience, in great detail, and hopefully if anyone was listening with an OPEN mind, they might actually learn something.... there are soooooo many lessons to be learned by Old Glory's story and as an avid slider can name a few but most should already understand.....Whoever said the entire weight is on the boat owner... Oh :shock: :shock was it the boat owner who came out and got their ass's out of the water... NO someone else did... guess he was in no danger eh....you guys rippped through every word that Gerald wrote like some University English professor.... AS for Wyatt Erp the ex. 35 year LEO... settle down dude... get those meds your on adjusted and hope like hell that your never down in 2A with a problem.......AS for me... Im looking foreward to the day when I can drag my beater to the glades, and ride that wonderful area while we still can.. and im damn sure gonna park on that grass slope in front of Ol' Glory and have a handful of frog legs with the G-Man.......Keep stickin' them frogs and getting them (common sense challenged) folks back to the ramp safe.... :salute: :florida: :occasion5: :rebel:

Heck why you got your panties in a wad, :D :D :D :D I love his turtle stories and frogging and appreciate all the great things he does for all airboaters on the other hand I been doing this a long time myself and never one time complained that someone call me to come rescue or called them a dumbass well I did get rather pissed at going to help Nomad when after loading my boat and driving from Plant City to the Lake and finding him in the marsh he did not have brownies now what kind bull$hit is that :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: , he know's I love his brownies and even Big Gobbler was pissed that he did not call him to help because he was in the marsh and likes brownies as well 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) but when I told Danny that he did not have brownies well lets just put it that he was not pissed anymore :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: better than a what prop to run :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot: :stirpot:
Bigun

droughtstrikn
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by droughtstrikn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:07 pm

Just want to thank Gerald for the help, I was the one who called him to help a friend of mine who obviously made a bad decision. He did it without question, great guy! I have to disagree with his choice of words here though. Shit happens! Everyone is safe and the boat if floating again.

Return to “Airboat Talk”