Pulled The Trigger

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Pulled The Trigger

Postby digginfool » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:39 am

I've been waffling back and forth about my sled for a long time. I love it, it's a great little boat but the 160 on it just wasn't what I was looking for. I couldn't make up my mind whether to go with a 200 or put a 540 on it. I like the look of a four cylinder grass boat but for about the same price, I could put a SV 540 on it. One of the guys I ride with has a SV 540 on his 12' Benny Webb and burns less fuel than I do with my 160 on my 11' Don Davis.

JR posted up on FB that he had a runout 540 for sale and I jumped on it. Motor has Millenium cylinders on it and I'm going to have him put rod and main bearings as well as a Phase 3 cam in it. Going to paint the engine to match the boat as well. Should be a setup that will last a long time and I'm fairly certain I won't be getting stuck on grass anymore. ;) JR suggests I go with a 72" 5 blade Saber setup and I agree. My friend with the Benny Webb runs the same prop and his boat goes anywhere he wants, not to mention the excellent fuel burn. Hopefully, the boat will be ready to go with the new motor in about a month and a half. In the meantime, I'm getting quite a collection of airboat parts that I need to move. I've got headers and mufflers from the BBC, a 2.38 Stinger gearbox, a 320 H2AD on a stand with a 68" Q, an 80" Powershift prop, all the electronics, manifolds and other accessories if someone wanted to buy a longblock 8.1 to make a running motor, and all of it needs to go. Watch for the coming fire sale!
Attachments
my_sled.jpg
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

mojoe
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Pulled The Trigger

Postby mojoe » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:44 am

Nice decision. I love my 540, but it loves AV Gas!

Time to change your avatar.
Mark 7:9

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:02 am

mojoe wrote:Nice decision. I love my 540, but it loves AV Gas!

Time to change your avatar.

Nah. Still have my CM barge. ;)
“When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it” - Bastiat

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Diggin what are your plans for the rigging with the 540?
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:52 pm

We took some measurements and it looks like it will fit with little to no mods. Might have to move dry box under front seat. Also considering using Pacemaker ignition which would open space because the mags would be eliminated.

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby kwanjangnihm » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:51 pm

My 540 has an oil filter adapter between the mags - my oil filter sticks out farther than my mags - just food for thought!

Good luck and I'm sure it will burn the green sh*t up now! :D

:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:02 pm

kwanjangnihm wrote:My 540 has an oil filter adapter between the mags - my oil filter sticks out farther than my mags - just food for thought!

Good luck and I'm sure it will burn the green sh*t up now! :D

:rebel:

We looked at that. Our plan is to put a 90 degree adapter on it. The filter will be up and to the left, leaving clearance for the tach drive. The issue with the mags is the down legs on the seat stand but looks like we'll clear it. If not, Pacemaker, or a new seat stand. I'm looking forward to the extra power. Thanks!

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby ffjpowell » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:11 pm

GREAT choice. You will be more than happy. Cant wait to see it in November if not sooner.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve.

Live today like theirs no tommorrow.

New build on the way!!!!!! Stay tuned.

J. Powell

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:23 pm

What thoughts do you all have in regards to prop? 5 blade 72" Saber or 6 blade 70" Saber?

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:24 pm

ffjpowell wrote:GREAT choice. You will be more than happy. Cant wait to see it in November if not sooner.

Maybe one of these weekends we can meet up at Kissimmee or SJR. Kind of a shame you only make it down this way once a year.

ffjpowell
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby ffjpowell » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:22 pm

5 @ 72" if it was me. Longer blades can put slightly more pitch.

I hear ya. Wish I could but btw 2 jobs and life makes it difficult. U heading to Kissimmee anytime soon.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, the mind of man can achieve.

Live today like theirs no tommorrow.

New build on the way!!!!!! Stay tuned.

J. Powell

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:07 pm

Might go this weekend for the Osceola event.

slimpickens
Southern Airboat Member

Postby slimpickens » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:47 pm

Hay diggen send me a pm on what you will want for the stinger gear box .

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lariat » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm currently running a staggered 72" 6blade Sabre on my SV. I ran a 72" 5 blade for a while. The 5 would do what the 6 does, just at a higher RPM. I think with your light setup, I would go with the 72" 5. Mine is on a heavy hunt boat.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:28 pm

slimpickens wrote:Hay diggen send me a pm on what you will want for the stinger gear box .

I probably shouldn't have mentioned the gearbox since I have two people I know that have told me they are interested. Also, I'm not going to let it go until I'm finished evaluating my setup once I get my blades back, which is why I said watch for the fire sale. Keep your eyes open on the classifieds plus I'll post up when I list the items I have.

digginfool
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby digginfool » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:53 pm

Man, I think I may have gotten carried away. The engine is just about ready to be completed. Never one to be satisfied with 'enough' I couldn't help myself and put new everything in this motor plus big cam, big pistons, reconditioned cylinders, new valves, springs, followers, lifters, bearings. I've got a motor going on an airboat that's ready for an airplane. So much for going the economy route. Seemed like a good idea at the time. :banghead: :banghead: I've got more into this motor and prop than I had in the whole boat and trailer to begin with. Hope it's worth it.

99squeakbox
Southern Airboat Member

Postby 99squeakbox » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:34 am

seems me p.m on what you want for your old q.

cdid
Southern Airboat Member

Postby cdid » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:36 am

GET THE IGNITION YOUR MOTOR WILL LOVE YOU i have the electromotive ignition and its amazing. Motor runs like a damn new vehicle... Pacemaker makes a great product as well
13' Palm Beach Full Deck (under construction) GITSO 520 72" NGQ

ZoomZoom
Southern Airboat Member

Postby ZoomZoom » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:51 am

You will get more push on the same engine with a larger diameter prop. Simply a mater of science. Zoom

lariat
Southern Airboat Member

Postby lariat » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:42 pm

It ought to last a "lifetime". Keep us posted on the progress, and which one you prefer after you get some time on it. I'm thinking the 'ol car motor is going to collect some dust!

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby aherr520 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:16 pm

cdid wrote:GET THE IGNITION YOUR MOTOR WILL LOVE YOU i have the electromotive ignition and its amazing. Motor runs like a damn new vehicle... Pacemaker makes a great product as well

do you have the fuel injection as well?
aaof member

timmmyy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby timmmyy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:51 am

digginfool get the ngh 3 blades or 2 blades series
Olways on the furst date

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:31 am

Do not run 3 blades on 6 cylinder engines, the harmonics are crankshaft breakers.
I never finish anyth,,,.

timmmyy
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby timmmyy » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:34 am

Thanks John didn t know that about 3 bladed and 6 cylinder
Olways on the furst date

John Fenner
Southern Airboat Member

Postby John Fenner » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:19 pm

You're welcome, O-540 crank cracked longitudinally at flange and oil leak at seal area. O-520 sheared off all crank drive gear bolts
I never finish anyth,,,.

Return to “Airboat Talk”