First airboat. Have no idea what Ive got myself into....

Aircraft powered airboat discussion.
CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

First airboat. Have no idea what Ive got myself into....

Post by CantGetRight » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:00 pm

Hello Fellas, I recently traded some yard work for an old airboat. Its been sitting since 1999. The story is back then it started to leak oil so they parked it and found out it was to much money to replace the gaskets. The dad was worried bout breaking down on the river so it sat. A year later the dad passed away and its been in the same spot ever since. You can turn the prop so its not locked up. Have a family member that has an airboat and was told this was the place to go to get help. I am totally new to this and I'm super excited about this boat. All I know for sure is that its and aircraft engine.... that's Purdy much it. I haven't figured out how to post pictures. (says they are to big) on a topic post and my internet out where I live is crap. I made an album and did the 8 picture max for today and was wondering if you guys could tell me what I got myself into. Thanks in advance. Just joined the site. First post. Hope many more to come..

BenBad
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Re: First airboat. Have no idea what Ive got myself into....

Post by BenBad » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:39 pm

Welcome to this crazy world. I have only been airboating for 7 years. Just relax and learn. First off is get to know someone that has been boating and learn from them. I have driven or operated just about anything you can think of but as I learned the hard way there is nothing like an airboat. If you set your location in your profile someone close to you may be able to give you some good information and maybe some help....
Rick Powers
Omaha NE
http://www.yourtalkingnow.com/

dan-o
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dan-o » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:45 pm

It's a Lycoming 4 cylinder. The motor experts will clue you in to exactly what model and possible horsepower. I've seen worse starts. Lol. First, take it all apart. Trash all the metal work. If it has sat long enough for the prop to rot off, nothing can be trusted. stringers in the hull are probably bad. Where are you? Do you know any experienced airboaters?
"Disneyworld and air conditioning is gonna ruin Florida."
-My Grandmother-

HuntingBigun
Site Supporter - VIII
Site Supporter - VIII

Post by HuntingBigun » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:17 am

Welcome to SA and congrats on your find, it will require lot work but first thing is looks like it is Texas Boat so figure your in Texas so pull top plugs out and spray penetrating oil in the cylinders you have steel cyls with aluminum pistons and the cyls will have rust in them but I seen engines set for years and you can bring them alive but you need to pull it apart and go thru it. Lyc 4 cyl are very simple engines and takes few tools little bit of time and you will be able to see what you have, most airports have mechanics that can give ya a hand or after you fill in your location maybe airboater close by.

Then after you see if the motor can be saved I worry about the hull & Rigging

Good luck and have fun with it :thumbleft:
Bigun

http://www.krvsa.com

http://krvsa.com/product/airboat-raffle-tickets/

Click for pics = http://www.flickr.com/photos/huntingbigun/

Killin Time 15.6 Diamondback Deckover Mast 808 Hp SC LS 7 /KRVSA /NRA

kwanjangnihm
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by kwanjangnihm » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:20 am

Welcome to SA!! Adding some of your photos to the thread. Good luck with your build!! :thumbleft:

:rebel:
" I don't care who you are back in the world, you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed ya, real quiet. Leave ya here. Got that? "

lilly-Pad
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Post by lilly-Pad » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:55 am

Welcome to SA, there is a wealth of information here. Looks like you are on your way with airboat addiction very contagious and little if no hope for cure lol :cheers: I am no expert but looks like you got a good start depending on how much yard work we are talking about.
12 ft Don Davis / 0470 conv / 68 NGQ , A.A.O.F member

Best laid plans of mice and men, wont always get you laid.............

BobBrack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by BobBrack » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:09 am

That is a lycoming o-290. Most commonly they made 125 horsepower. However I believe they made a few models that were 135 horsepower. They are great engines however rings are quite expensive for them. Most people tear them apart and have the cases bored to accept a o-320 narow deck cylinder and install a 9:1 piston and that makes them 160 hp. I hope this helped you some.

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:18 am

Thank You Guys for the response and for posting my pics for me! My cuz by marriage is Brothabob. Hes been a huge help getting me started. He told me this was the place to get info. Been trying to research info online for a few days and already found out more in the last 5 minutes from this site! I know for sure I'll need a new hull if it ends up being worth it. Not sure if I need fiberglass or aluminum. I'm guessing this is a ground unit. I'm just going to use the search function and start looking for info!

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:35 am

Hi, welcome.... first thing I would do is spray all of the bolts and things with lots of WD40 or similar to hopefully get some oil to soak in around the bolts into aluminum..... spray plenty on them.... and go easy undoing bolts.... once you crack them off undoing them, spray them some more.... I hate pulling motors apart and finding the alloy thread in the thread of the bolts as you take them out .... Doh!! giving them a real good soaking with WD spray will give them a chance of not dragging out the threads..... same goes for spark plugs....

That should be an awesome boat to start out with, hopefully you can get it going without too many problems and see what you got :salute:
I was told I was wrong, once (not sure I believe it though)
If you can't blind 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with BS
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:48 am

Thanks for the advice. I traded 200 bucks worth of mowing for it so I figured I cant go wrong. Even if I never get it running I'm still excited bout learning about it and tinkering with it.

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:38 am

I was wondering what kind of oil goes in it? Would I use aircraft fuel to run it? Just wondering if this is a couple thousand dollar project to make it run or am I looking at something worse. Of course I undestand this is a hobby that requires a good amount of bartering and money.

dan-o
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dan-o » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:37 pm

Aeroshell 100. 50w. Sams club, auto parts store or airport. Usually av gas ll100 with occasional doses of half 93. Some guys run nothing but 93. Not for me. Like bigun said scrap the metal works jack the motor out of the boat (leave it on the stand) go to work on it. Slow your roll. It'll be awhile before you need gas and oil, lol.
-My Grandmother-

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:08 pm

I am a certified cheap a$$..... so, if it were my $200 investment, I would see if I could find a prop to suit it, pull the plugs out, take a look at the pistons with a bore scope, squirt some WD into the cylinders, with no plugs.... turn the prop until your arm cant do it any more, drop the oil, add new oil, clean the plugs and put them back in.... clean out/service the carby, patch the hole in the exhaust....... then see if you can get it to run. :P

If it does, fix any dramas with the hull, once that is water tight, find some skinny water and have a crack (go with other boats in case it stops) :oops:

If you start pulling the motor down, it will take ages to get it back together so you can try it out :shock: .... and will prolly end up costing arms and legs :roll:

For $200, a used prop, and some elbow grease..... it might surprise you and be a real hoot.... then next winter start thinking of fixing it if it needs it :salute:
Airboat experience so far, limited to having bolted a gyrocopter to a flat bottom punt.... but THAT.... is about to change, bigtime :-)

stroked470
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Post by stroked470 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Check out the home made choke on the air cleaner throat. Squirted probably went out and someone made a choke instead of fixing the carb.

dan-o
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dan-o » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:21 pm

CactusJack wrote:I am a certified cheap a$$..... so, if it were my $200 investment, I would see if I could find a prop to suit it, pull the plugs out, take a look at the pistons with a bore scope, squirt some WD into the cylinders, with no plugs.... turn the prop until your arm cant do it any more, drop the oil, add new oil, clean the plugs and put them back in.... clean out/service the carby, patch the hole in the exhaust....... then see if you can get it to run. :P

If it does, fix any dramas with the hull, once that is water tight, find some skinny water and have a crack (go with other boats in case it stops) :oops:

If you start pulling the motor down, it will take ages to get it back together so you can try it out :shock: .... and will prolly end up costing arms and legs :roll:

For $200, a used prop, and some elbow grease..... it might surprise you and be a real hoot.... then next winter start thinking of fixing it if it needs it :salute:
Bad advice imo. Look closer. The boat is full of water. Probably has been for a long time. The prop has rotted OFF THE DAMN thing. No way. Airboats can hurt you in so many ways. Especially a newbe. Follow the seasoned airboaters advice.
-My Grandmother-

dan-o
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dan-o » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Conduit rots from the inside out. Won't know half the issues till something bad happens.
-My Grandmother-

Brotherbob
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Brotherbob » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:13 am

Hhahahahha, This is good stuff! Ole "Cantgetitright" is my Cuz'n in law and excited about his first airboat! He normally paddles around in the river in a Kayak.
We figure , remove the rotten prop, soak the cylinders, drain the oil and refill, swap all the hoses and fuel system and with a hot batt see if she'll start.

We just had 22" of rain in 30 days so thats where the water came from...the little hull is rotten so we are hunting something cheap.

The rigging is questionable ,but if the thing will run we'll pull the engine give it some love and start rebuilding the rigging unless another good boat with a bad engine pops up!

Ya'll ought to see the "OTHER" homemade boat that came with this deal! 4ft wide x 12ft long 3 seats and a pull start twin cylinder with a homemade reduction drive!:LOL!

Help point ole Sam "Cantgetright" in the right direction and remember we are on a shoestring budget with this jewel.

Thanks
BB
BRAB41,TAA-220 ,Air Ranger 15x8 , SBC , 78 " 3 blade WW prop, 2.88 Stinger
SHO-NUF!

One Eyed Gator
Southern Airboat Member

Post by One Eyed Gator » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:21 am

Look for the service manuals under the aircraft section.

That is a good place to start.

Just looked there is not a o-290 manual, maybe someone will post a pdf of it for you.

HASBEEN
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by HASBEEN » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:50 pm

Ooooops !

Mister, yur world will probably be forever changed
I'm with Cactusjack and Brotherbob.... Do the basics and twist her tail... If she bangs, clangs, or has a
"ComeApart" spin it off to somebody for parts and you get well.

On the other hand, if it has potential , there are a limited number of ac guys in the BRAB that you will
Need to enlist for resources. ( you guys know who you are)

I'll bet they will help. if I can .... Goes without sayin but other than Brotherbob.... Most of us are "car motor" guys :scratch:

But hey.... Yesterday you were a kayaker.... Today an airboater... There's hope for us all !

Great find , Great project :cheers:

Hasbeen
15x7 Cyclone, 454 BBC Junkyard Motor / 2-1 Belt Drive/ 2 Blade 79" WhirlWind RQ/ Water Walker Hub

BRAB46

No Abla anything but AMERICAN

"When the Sun comes up, you better be running"

CactusJack
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CactusJack » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:36 am

I am well aware of the BEST way to get it running, to strip it down to the bare bones, hull and motor too and rebuild it completely, but since the investment so far has been just a couple of hundred bux labor, I still think for the purchase of a second hand prop (or a loan of one), some new gas line and the other stuff Hasbeen mentioned.... as long as the hull has enough life left in it and there are no safety concerns..... he may get a bunch of fun this summer.... it would prolly never be a great boat/motor to do any running on the hill, even with a fresh motor, so why throw heaps of cash at it? He might get to run it this summer, get addicted :lol: and start thinking of a bigger, better boat next year.... or, be happy with this boat and freshen it up next winter?

If he pulls the motor off it right now and pulls it apart, I bet he wouldn't get any change from $2 grand :dontknow: and by the time it got put back together ready to try and see if he likes it..... it will be winter :roll:

Just because the old wood prop rotted off it.... doesn't mean a replacement second hand one will break or be dangerous?

Especially if he can get a loan of a prop just to start it with, if it starts after a clean/flush, compression check, change of oil, new gas tank, replaced perished gas lines and the plugs cleaned..... if it sounds like a 44 gallon drum with a pair of anvils in it rolling down a hill..... at least it has not cost much.... no harm, no foul.

I bet it would run, it might be sweet.... gotta have some good luck some time :dontknow: :bom:

UpStAcK0360
Southern Airboat Member

Post by UpStAcK0360 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:55 pm

My dad saw this and about stroked out lol that his old boat that was stolen from him in 1986 in sanford fl. Its a 135 with high comp pistons and a big cam. He was selling it before i was born to pay hospital bills when a dirtbag from osteen cut the chain and hauled it away lol
Outlaw Airboats 321-262-4034

CantGetRight
Southern Airboat Member

Post by CantGetRight » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Upstack, how can I tell if it's your dads stolen airboat? If it is your more than welcome to come and get it but I'd need some type of proof. I'm guessing he saw something in the pictures that made him think it's his boat since its been sitting since 99. The people I got it from are dang good people and wouldn't steal from anyone.

rjonesboy
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by rjonesboy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Cantgetright, that's about the most standup thing Ive heard in a while. You get your first boat, have some hard work invested in it, are obviously super excited, and are willing to let it go if it turns out it was stolen all those years ago. Hats off to you

dan-o
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dan-o » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:33 pm

CGR you're a good man. Your parents should be proud.

Here's where im at. I pretty much agree on see if you can get it running. the cage, seat stand, the rest of the rigging is where i would be most careful. If you've never seen a prop get into a cage and disintegrate, maybe people don't understand. It's scary. broken stringer, broken motor stand is how that could happen. Be careful, patient and enjoy the build.
-My Grandmother-

dan-o
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by dan-o » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:35 pm

And conduit is cheap. Lol. Thats why us other tight asses use it.
-My Grandmother-

Return to “Aircraft Power Only”