Who runs the blue and silver ECOTEC on lake George?

Longest running airboat discussion on the internet.
strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Who runs the blue and silver ECOTEC on lake George?

Postby strokin05ct » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Was out for Father's Day weekend at the glen, and saw an Ecotec on a blue and silver fiberglass hull. Good looking boat, was wondering if anyone knows this person or if this person see's this could pm me. I have just completed my Ecotec build. Thought it was cool to see one out there.
Cody
----------------------------
"she gone!"
GM 2.0 LHU Turbo Ecotec, stock engine, 78" whisper ex 3 blade
06 Hamant 13'

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Re: Who runs the blue and silver ECOTEC on lake George?

Postby loudmouse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:15 pm

I believe the boat ur talking about was mine as We were at the Glen yesterday. Thanks for the compliments.
15' Alumitech deckover LSX TT Oxbox 84" JX 4-blade
Gas required Water optional :dontknow:
Built and Tuned by Me
14'X8' JW, Chevrolet 122CID LNF Turbo Engine, Ox box, 80" NGR 3 blade

Life is short, eat your dessert first! :downtown:

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:21 pm

Ok this is for both of you.
1) Cost of setting up the ecotec?
2) How much power does it put out?
3) Any issues with them yet?
4) How hot do they run under loads for long time periods?
5) How much fuel do they use while under heavy hard runs?

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:59 pm

Jeep I'll do my best
1 Depends on what you have to pay for the engine and required accessories. Chuck charges about $12k for one set up, engine and stand Gb prop (I think).
2 mine should make about 326hp
3 yes
4 if everything is right about 200° which is normal
5 not sure as I have no way to tell but they are great on fuel but is 300hp so it will burn some when running hard. Overall I get great mileage and I'm always running hard. :D
Built and Tuned by Me

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:23 pm

What are the issues?

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Postby strokin05ct » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:26 pm

Loudmouse, I'm sure it was you due to the lack of ecos running out there! Nice to know though for future reference. I can't wait to plan to come out and ride with you! I also just finished an 2.0 lnf build. PM me if you can. I don't remember your name. Obviously would like to call you something other than loud mouse.
I believe you'd remember us. We passed you on your way into the glen as we were leaving in that 34' gradywhite boat that looks like it had no business being in there lol :lol: I almost jumped out of the boat when I realized it was an Eco passing us and telling my father. Nice looking ride!
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Postby strokin05ct » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:42 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:Ok this is for both of you.
1) Cost of setting up the ecotec?
2) How much power does it put out?
3) Any issues with them yet?
4) How hot do they run under loads for long time periods?
5) How much fuel do they use while under heavy hard runs?

Hi jeepinocala

1- cost is dependent on who you use for engine, box, prop, and set up. You can cut cost a lot by DIY on majority of items. I can tell you that I have approx 10k from engine to prop including harness and ECM. This can be done significantly cheaper.

2- mine is similar to loudmouse pushing around 325hp and trq. This is 100% stock. The lnf can make 400 with some bolt ons and tune. This will like on any motor take away from reliability.

3- yes, plenty of issues with them most being user error or pushing the limits of the motors capability. Also electronics on them can be quite tricky to get figured and tuned properly.

4- I am not able to answer this question yet for mine but I went with Dave Simpson and ran dry a lot without any heat issues. From what I have heard temps aren't much of aproblem with adequate cooling systems.

5- I also cannot verify this yet but I have heard these set ups are insanely good on fuel even during hard runs. I don't think there is a package available with the power of these motors that can compare. There has been hard calculated runs from members on here stating round trip runs of 100 miles running both water and dry and only using 11-13 gals of fuel.

Hopefully after this week I can give you more hard evidence to support my answers.
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:49 pm

I was thinking that the electronics would always be a problem and producing that much power out of a small frame engine could be an issue if ran to hard. But they are quiet, run dry, and I can bet from a crashed car cheap costing. Not the engine for me but a good inspiration for a future quiet build.

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:55 pm

The electronics are the easy part and have not been a big issue with my boat. It's the one and only person that does the tunes.
Built and Tuned by Me

Tony480
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby Tony480 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:01 pm

Dave Simpson use to run them. Blew 3 up and now is building an LS boat....

aherr520
Site Supporter - III
Site Supporter - III

Postby aherr520 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:24 pm

Tony480 wrote:Dave Simpson use to run them. Blew 3 up and now is building an LS boat....

An LS or any engine can blow up to if something goes wrong or is not built right, my freind has a rotory on his boat and has lasted 30 plus years which is great I think
aaof member

Deano
Site Supporter - V
Site Supporter - V

Postby Deano » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Zoom Zoom
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion and politics,
but it is not the path to knowledge; it has no place in the endeavor of science."
- Carl Sagan

renegade0540
Site Supporter - II
Site Supporter - II

Postby renegade0540 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:36 pm

If you set one of these up and wind up blowing it up a replacement would be cheap at that point right?

Prototype
Southern Airboat Member

Postby Prototype » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:23 pm

aherr520 wrote:
Tony480 wrote:Dave Simpson use to run them. Blew 3 up and now is building an LS boat....

An LS or any engine can blow up to if something goes wrong or is not built right, my freind has a rotory on his boat and has lasted 30 plus years which is great I think

Who has a built ECO from ground up internals? Not saying ac or water pumper is better but it takes more than a tune to get it out of the junk yard for long! Who in the hell pulls all these eco blown motors back?

jeepinocala1111
Site Supporter - I
Site Supporter - I

Postby jeepinocala1111 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:57 am

I think this is what I was looking for as for an answer. I understand anything can die but from car racing experience I figured the small 'CHEVY' engine will not take the long run abuse. :violent1:

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Postby strokin05ct » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:41 pm

jeepinocala1111 wrote:

I think this is what I was looking for as for an answer. I understand anything can die but from car racing experience I figured the small 'CHEVY' engine will not take the long run abuse. :violent1:

If tony knew anything about it and talked to Dave, his motors didn't just blow up... Each problem was either his error or He was pushing 27 psi boost on a bigger turbo set up on a stock engine pushing over 400 hp and never updated his tune. I talk to Dave plenty. The stock config will last. Everyone having issues have tried pushing over the engines limits. Do that to Amy engine and it will "blow". Then again nothing is a good idea to tony unless he's the one coming up with it or running it.
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Postby strokin05ct » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:46 pm

renegade0540 wrote:If you set one of these up and wind up blowing it up a replacement would be cheap at that point right?

Yes. Loudmouse will agree. Yea you can run the shit out of these and "blow" them up and it'll cost any range from 1200$ for a used or 3000$ for crate. Try replacing a water thunder. To say that a ls won't blow is just a ignorant statement, bc if have personally pulled 2 back to the ramp!!!!!! :dontknow:
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:31 pm

strokin05ct wrote:
renegade0540 wrote:If you set one of these up and wind up blowing it up a replacement would be cheap at that point right?

Yes. Loudmouse will agree. Yea you can run the **** out of these and "blow" them up and it'll cost any range from 1200$ for a used or 3000$ for crate. Try replacing a water thunder. To say that a ls won't blow is just a ignorant statement, bc if have personally pulled 2 back to the ramp!!!!!! :dontknow:

6300 for a brand shiny new 430 horse ls3 and i bet the ones you have pulled back to the ramp were probably from a "motor builder" or somethin someone grabbed outta the junkyard slapped a carb on and run the crap out of it without tuning it properly but i could be wrong
12 foot Mamba "The Underdog"
Tired Gpu 520,Whirlwind Razor X

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Postby strokin05ct » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:36 pm

Bruce wrote:
strokin05ct wrote:

Yes. Loudmouse will agree. Yea you can run the **** out of these and "blow" them up and it'll cost any range from 1200$ for a used or 3000$ for crate. Try replacing a water thunder. To say that a ls won't blow is just a ignorant statement, bc if have personally pulled 2 back to the ramp!!!!!! :dontknow:

6300 for a brand shiny new 430 horse ls3 and i bet the ones you have pulled back to the ramp were probably from a "motor builder" or somethin someone grabbed outta the junkyard slapped a carb on and run the crap out of it without tuning it properly but i could be wrong

Yes wrong. Big nice shiny water thunder shroud on engine on one and sure the other was a "engine builder". Everyone has an opinion. Regardless the Eco is a cool little set up for what it is.
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:38 pm

Yes. Loudmouse will agree. Yea you can run the **** out of these and "blow" them up and it'll cost any range from 1200$ for a used or 3000$ for crate. Try replacing a water thunder. To say that a ls won't blow is just a ignorant statement, bc if have personally pulled 2 back to the ramp!!!!!! :dontknow:[/quote]

6300 for a brand shiny new 430 horse ls3 and i bet the ones you have pulled back to the ramp were probably from a "motor builder" or somethin someone grabbed outta the junkyard slapped a carb on and run the crap out of it without tuning it properly but i could be wrong[/quote]

Yes wrong. Big nice shiny water thunder shroud on engine on one and sure the other was a "engine builder". Everyone has an opinion. Regardless the Eco is a cool little set up for what it is.[/quote]

yea water thunder is an engine builder not brand new gm

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:40 pm

dont get me wrong anything can fail but i know for a fact the straight crate gm motors are excellent and will run longer than most will ever own an airboat without any trouble and they make a real 430 horse not somebodies hokey bench dyno or thrust tester and ill agree the eco is a cool little motor but it just isnt very cheap to put together once you get passed all the bs and nobody has had one thats lived long enough for me to get a good opinion on

strokin05ct
Southern Airboat Member

Postby strokin05ct » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:11 pm

Bruce wrote:dont get me wrong anything can fail but i know for a fact the straight crate gm motors are excellent and will run longer than most will ever own an airboat without any trouble and they make a real 430 horse not somebodies hokey bench dyno or thrust tester and ill agree the eco is a cool little motor but it just isnt very cheap to put together once you get passed all the bs and nobody has had one thats lived long enough for me to get a good opinion on

Agreed. Hopefully we get the kinks worked out on these ecos and they become more proven. For now I remain optimistic and have faith. My set up should be a good example of what to expect from these little power plants.
Cody
"she gone!"
06 Hamant 13'

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:31 pm

As to the durability of the ecotec engines they are TUFF! I have run mine 6 to 8 miles on the hammer @ 5400 rpms with a loaded boat. I have blown the silicone boots apart, blew the clamps off, even ran it Very hot and blew the head gasket. I fix it and it keeps going.Been running it with the tune off cause it takes too long to get changed(its summer and I want to ride) and its still going. Last Sunday I broke the drive plate to the gearbox into 3 pieces. Yes its an airboat and shit happens if you ride them a lot as I do. The ecm on these DI engines is super sensitive to changes and will hold the engine back if anything is out of range. Overall the ecotec does more than I thought it could do. If I was able to do the tunes myself mine would already be built to the 5-600 hp range. Until the tuning has been cracked it will remain at the mercy if one person tuning and I will not put a lot of money into it.
Built and Tuned by Me

Bruce
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Postby Bruce » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:48 pm

loudmouse wrote:As to the durability of the ecotec engines they are TUFF! I have run mine 6 to 8 miles on the hammer @ 5400 rpms with a loaded boat. I have blown the silicone boots apart, blew the clamps off, even ran it Very hot and blew the head gasket. I fix it and it keeps going.Been running it with the tune off cause it takes too long to get changed(its summer and I want to ride) and its still going. Last Sunday I broke the drive plate to the gearbox into 3 pieces. Yes its an airboat and **** happens if you ride them a lot as I do. The ecm on these DI engines is super sensitive to changes and will hold the engine back if anything is out of range. Overall the ecotec does more than I thought it could do. If I was able to do the tunes myself mine would already be built to the 5-600 hp range. Until the tuning has been cracked it will remain at the mercy if one person tuning and I will not put a lot of money into it.

thats my point see all the issues youve had and im fairly certain you havent got 500 hours on it yet

loudmouse
Southern Airboat Member

Postby loudmouse » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 pm

For as much as I ride its not very often my boat is broke down. Knock on wood with every failure I've had she has always made it back to the ramp on her own. BTW the drive plate failure is related to the gearbox not the engine.
Built and Tuned by Me

Return to “Airboat Talk”