distributor replacement on SBC

Automotive powered airboat discussion.
Boattrash55
Southern Airboat Member

distributor replacement on SBC

Post by Boattrash55 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:58 pm

looks like i need to replace my distributor on my motor never done this before any advice or tips to not mess up the timing or anything? thanks in advance.

SthrnStyle3
Southern Airboat Member

Re: distributor replacement on SBC

Post by SthrnStyle3 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:31 pm

You're going to have to reset the timing...
12' aluminum hull, 350 sbc w/ flattop Pistons and camel hump heads, side by side seating w/ double in front, 2:1 gearbox and a 78" whirlwind whispertip 2.0

Boattrash55
Southern Airboat Member

Post by Boattrash55 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:34 pm

i had a feeling i was gonna have to. I'm no master mechanic but is it tough to do?
12x6 Al David fuel injected 0470 260hp 72" water walker

Dirtman
Site Supporter - IV
Site Supporter - IV

Post by Dirtman » Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:53 pm

To replace the distributor first remove the distributor cap and rotate the engine so the end to the rotor button that contacts the cap is pointing directly at a reference point you will remember and that won't be moved when you remove the distributor. Then remove the hold down clamp and disconnect wires going to the distributor and then remove the distributor. Put the rotor on the new distributor and put it back in the engine, making sure the rotor points to the reference point. The distributor should fall right back in to place. If it doesn't it might possibly be not lining up to the oil pump drive and if so as long as it is meshing with the gear on the cam, bump the engine over slowly with a little pressure pushing down on the distributor and it should fall into place. after that replace the hold down and reconnect the wires. It should be close enough to start and then you will need to recheck the timing using a timing light
IO520 on a 12"6" Lazer with a 72" Q #20814
Build in progress: 14x7'9" JB w/ GSO540 &80" Razor

Return to “Automotive Power Only”